Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports Best Cars of 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reliability issues that customers notice or are affected by should be considered reliability issues by Consumer Reports.
Reliability issues that customers don't notice or aren't affected by shouldn't be considered reliability issues by Consumer Reports.

Have you had the drive unit milling noise? Trust me it's noticeable. I get such a headache from driving my car that I refuse to drive it for more than 15 minutes at a time now.

The only reason that I haven't insisted on it being fixed yet is because I know they'll force me to upgrade to 7.0, which I hate even more. I'm hoping 7.1 brings some options with it, but I know deep down it won't happen. Tesla engineering doesn't really respond to user feedback - only press.

If this was any other car, I would have sold it just about now.

So the issue is very real, even if it doesn't literally leave you stranded next to the road. I didn't pay $100k for the car to just take me from point A to point B without breaking down - I have a Leaf for that. The bar for the Tesla is higher.

Have you had the drive unit milling noise? Trust me it's noticeable.

That would fall under an issue "that customers notice and are affected by". Maybe all DU replacements were irritating owners - I thought I read that some people had them replaced before they noticed anything with them, but I could be wrong. Proactive 12V battery replacement, door handle replacements, etc. might be better examples of the point I'm trying to make...

The thing that's so interesting is that there are people who read specific data, clear examples of issues, clear explanations of the impact this has on actual owners.
And they turn around and say "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA THERE IS NO ISSUE YOU ARE ALL WRONG".

I get it. You are a true believer.

But simply ignoring the data that has been posted and stating your believe again... reminds me of certain politicians who deny global warming. Or the issues of gun violence.

I think several of us have shown clear data and examples of the reliability and QA issues that Tesla has. Which justify the CR rating. I don't think there's anything to be gained by more attempts. If no one is listening, the best arguments are useless.

Happy New Year!

The thing that's so interesting is that there are people who read specific data, clear examples of issues, clear explanations of the impact this has on actual owners.

Anything that has a negative impact on owners would be a reliability issue that should be reported to CR. My point is that I don't feel that things that have no impact or only positive impact ("I went in for annual service and got xxxx done for free!") should be considered an issue by CR.

And they turn around and say "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA THERE IS NO ISSUE YOU ARE ALL WRONG".

I get it. You are a true believer.

I'm not trying to start a fight - I am just trying to clarify what I feel is an important point. The irony was that I thought by doing so it might bring more harmony to the TMC universe" "Ahhh...now I can see why some people think this is a reliability issue and some don't! They both have valid points." I'm not trying to start a religious war.

I think several of us have shown clear data and examples of the reliability and QA issues that Tesla has. Which justify the CR rating. I don't think there's anything to be gained by more attempts. If no one is listening, the best arguments are useless.

What am I missing? What part of the distinctions I'm trying to make do you disagree with? Feel free to quote the parts you believe I'm getting wrong and help me understand where I'm confused.

Happy New Year!

To you as well, Dirk!

-Fred

I sympathize with the people who would love to see (and portrait) Tesla only in the best possible light. But I think we are doing them a disservice if we do that.
+1

More objective posts like this would make this site more valuable for those of us without experience with the S so we can go into the X with clear eyes and not get spooked by some early glitches.

Thanks Dirkhh

Last edited: