Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports gives the Model S a low reliability rating "44" out of a 100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that was a bit snarky. Considering the amount of documented misinformation regarding Tesla(fake news stories, fake reports to NHTSA, fake social media posts etc. etc.) it really isn't that much of a stretch that CR can be compromised(it's only 19.99 for an online subscription so a few thousand bucks buys a pretty effective smear campaign) and as many of us are very satisfied Tesla owners, being a bit cynical regarding this type of report is warranted.
Huh? What? Who paid a "few thousand bucks" and who received it? Is your post an example of one of what you are calling "fake news stories" or do you have facts? You really loved CR when they called the Model S "the best car ever" a couple of years ago but now that they publish a few negative results they lose all credibility for you.

Well that's news to me "Tesla owners more intelligent than Toyota Corolla owners"
- any evidence to suport this claim?

Does that make you an idiot savant if you have both?

pah!

It's news to you or it conflicts with your preconceived notions of reality like the fact that Tesla might have some reliability issues?

Let me find my copy of the bell curve to back up the statement that buyers of 100k cars are more intelligent than buyers of 10k cars...or are you not interested in statistics on that either?

It's news to you or it conflicts with your preconceived notions of reality like the fact that Tesla might have some reliability issues?

Let me find my copy of the bell curve to back up the statement that buyers of 100k cars are more intelligent than buyers of 10k cars...or are you not interested in statistics on that either?
I'd be interested in seeing stats on the intelligence comment. It doesn't seem like the smartest choice from a financial point of view and lots and lots of famous smart people drive inexpensive cars (e.g. Steve Ballmer - Ford Fusion Hybrid, Warren Buffet - 2 year old Cadillac, etc, etc).

I think it's just that the ownership experience and the move away from fossil fuel powered transportation trumps the reliability issues. I don't own a Tesla, but from following this forum, I've seen that a huge percentage of owners defend the car as an overall great car, warts and all. It's not Toyota reliable yet, but it's still up there with competitors like BMW, and I still see a lot of people driving around in new Beamers. I don't think Tesla owners are rationalizing just because they spent a lot of money on a car. I think they thoroughly enjoy the intrinsic value of ownership.

Reactions: Ormond and u00mem9
Huh? What? Who paid a "few thousand bucks" and who received it? Is your post an example of one of what you are calling "fake news stories" or do you have facts? You really loved CR when they called the Model S "the best car ever" a couple of years ago but now that they publish a few negative results they lose all credibility for you.

You seem pretty angry. Unless you live under a rock you're aware of the Tesla bashing by parties who stand to gain from these negative stories(google it). I don't remember being happy(should I have been?) when CR called the Tesla the best car ever. To be fair, when CR reviewed Tesla back then it was conducted by CR staff and the latest reliability survey is an email survey...two different things.

I didn't say there has never been an issue with a Tesla. I did suggest, because my Tesla has exceeded my expectations and has proven reliable, it is warranted to look at these ratings with a critical eye.

...It's news to you or it conflicts with your preconceived notions of reality like the fact that Tesla might have some reliability issues?

wow - more unsubstantiated assertions.

Please refer me back to my post displaying "preconceived notions of reality like the fact that Tesla might have some relaibility issues?"
My diminished IQ these days is making it a struggle to recall ever writing anything of the sort. Dammit - soon I'll have to buy a Corolla.

....Let me find my copy of the bell curve to back up the statement that buyers of 100k cars are more intelligent than buyers of 10k cars...or are you not interested in statistics on that either?

oooh - can I have the Tesla vs Corolla specific one please that you quoted the statistic from.

Reactions: msnow
Well that was a bit snarky. Considering the amount of documented misinformation regarding Tesla(fake news stories, fake reports to NHTSA, fake social media posts etc. etc.) it really isn't that much of a stretch that CR can be compromised(it's only 19.99 for an online subscription so a few thousand bucks buys a pretty effective smear campaign) and as many of us are very satisfied Tesla owners, being a bit cynical regarding this type of report is warranted.
I wouldn't put it past the auto industry or oil industry to do exactly that... It would be the cheapest way to attack the success of the Tesla. They already manipulate online reviews, why would this be any different? 4 Ways Online Reviews Are Being Manipulated By Manufacturers and http://digital.cs.usu.edu/~kyumin/pubs/fayazi15sigir.pdf

You seem pretty angry. Unless you live under a rock you're aware of the Tesla bashing by parties who stand to gain from these negative stories(google it). I don't remember being happy(should I have been?) when CR called the Tesla the best car ever. To be fair, when CR reviewed Tesla back then it was conducted by CR staff and the latest reliability survey is an email survey...two different things.

I didn't say there has never been an issue with a Tesla. I did suggest, because my Tesla has exceeded my expectations and has proven reliable, it is warranted to look at these ratings with a critical eye.
What makes me angry is when people throw out baseless conspiracy theories that a magazine established in 1936 compromised its ethics and took a bribe for "a few thousand bucks". The fact that you think that is more likely than CR finding some issues with earlier car's is really out there. As for the reliability study itself using actual owner feedback those are typically done the same exact way on every car tested every time. There's nothing they did different with Tesla than any other car manufacturer. There's questions articulated by Elon about the weighting of issues (older cars being more prone to problems that have since been corrected on 2015 cars and later) but if you read through this forum you will see confirmation from owners of 2012-2014 cars of the issues mentioned by CR. All I'm saying is that there's some legitimate issues brought up by CR that can be explained more with facts than the grassy knoll.

What makes me angry is when people throw out baseless conspiracy theories that a magazine established in 1936 compromised its ethics and took a bribe for "a few thousand bucks". The fact that you think that is more likely than CR finding some issues with earlier car's is really out there. As for the reliability study itself using actual owner feedback those are typically done the same exact way on every car tested every time. There's nothing they did different with Tesla than any other car manufacturer. There's questions articulated by Elon about the weighting of issues (older cars being more prone to problems that have since been corrected on 2015 cars and later) but if you read through this forum you will see confirmation from owners of 2012-2014 cars of the issues mentioned by CR. All I'm saying is that there's some legitimate issues brought up by CR that can be explained more with facts than the grassy knoll.

Please point out where I mentioned bribery...I must have missed that. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you're not as ignorant to the facts as your posts let on. You know full well how well easy it is to create artificial media or manipulate data. You know Tesla is an incredibly disruptive company who's foes include all car companies and their dealer networks, the entire oil/gas industry, utilities and more. As you know, I didn't state there were never problems but as a really happy Tesla owner it is a good idea to be a bit cynical in regards to ratings and reviews.

I don't know what your agenda is(besides CRs most loyal subcriber) but you do not appear to be an objective observer.

Maybe...CR simply received a lot of reports of drive unit replacement

Maybe...HRC was just a really shite candidate.

I suggest leaving your conspiracy theories at the door. This is generally a pretty level headed group. Tesla makes great products that are worth dealing with some reliability issues. If they fail, it won't be because the most objective auto mag in the industry was plotting against them. It will be because it cost them more to make my car than I paid them.

Reactions: msnow
Please point out where I mentioned bribery...I must have missed that. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you're not as ignorant to the facts as your posts let on. You know full well how well easy it is to create artificial media or manipulate data. You know Tesla is an incredibly disruptive company who's foes include all car companies and their dealer networks, the entire oil/gas industry, utilities and more. As you know, I didn't state there were never problems but as a really happy Tesla owner it is a good idea to be a bit cynical in regards to ratings and reviews.

I don't know what your agenda is(besides CRs most loyal subcriber) but you do not appear to be an objective observer.
1. You said that CR could have taken money ("a few thousand bucks") to write a fake review to smear Tesla. Call it a payoff, a bribe, payola, inducement, anything you want. Whatever name you like it's still a wild conspiracy theory and no proof.
2. I'm not a CR subscriber.
3. I have no "agenda" other than pointing out a false post that's beyond speculative and conspiratorial when I see one.
4. Tesla is innovative but many car companies now have or plan to have competitive EV products. Just because someone may have a reason to gain from a negative review doesn't mean you can or should jump to a conclusion without facts to back it up.

You said that CR could have taken money ("a few thousand bucks") to write a fake review to smear Tesla. Call it a payoff, a bribe, payola, inducement, anything you want. Whatever name you like it's still a wild conspiracy theory and no proof.

I don't think anyone here suggested that CR has been bribed. What is being suggested here is, 'it is well within the realm of possibility those who are rooting for Tesla to fail - of which many of them have deep pockets, such Koch, big 3, Oil men, dealers, and groups that canvassed for Trump - can simply buy a few thousand copies of CR and complete the survey.

But having said that, I think the low rating is entirely well earned and well deserved by Tesla due to stoopid handles and doors. They don't need the help of Koch and co. Tesla and Musk are well positioned to shoot themselves on their foot by introducing unreliability in their design.

1. You said that CR could have taken money ("a few thousand bucks") to write a fake review to smear Tesla. Call it a payoff, a bribe, payola, inducement, anything you want. Whatever name you like it's still a wild conspiracy theory and no proof.
2. I'm not a CR subscriber.
3. I have no "agenda" other than pointing out a false post that's beyond speculative and conspiratorial when I see one.
4. Tesla is innovative but many car companies now have or plan to have competitive EV products. Just because someone may have a reason to gain from a negative review doesn't mean you can or should jump to a conclusion without facts to back it up.
1. No I didn't
2. I don't care
3. doubtful
4. I'm didn't and I'm not

Did you even read my posts before replying?

My Model S has been in for service more than all of my previous vehicles combined. That includes an Acura Integra with 230,000 miles, a VW Jetta with 60,000 miles, a Toyota Prius with 110,000 miles, and a Toyota Highlander with 65,000 miles. HOWEVER, my Tesla service came at very little inconvenience and never involved any outright failures. Even drive unit replacements were painless and involved driving a loaner that was better than the car I own.

You couldn't pry my Model S out of my cold, dead hands. I love this car so much! I have a Model 3 pre-ordered and hope to be able to buy another Model S someday. Service visits are but one data point. The most important one is whether the customer would do it again. In my case yes, in a heartbeat.