Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports lowers ratings of AP 2 Model S and X due to lack of AEB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning someone posted that they got AEB firmware yesterday, without release notes and with an odd version number (17.11.45 showing up this week, after 17.14.35?)

I heard it was rolling out. I wonder a little about that timing - did Tesla push AEB to the top of the queue because of the CR article (which they probably knew about somewhat in advance since they were contacted for comment), or did CR just happen to publish the article right before Tesla was already releasing AEB.

“When we purchased our latest test car, we were assured automatic emergency braking would be enabled by the end of 2016,” says Jake Fisher, director of Consumer Reports’ Auto Test Center in Colchester, Conn. “We’ve been waiting for this important safety feature, which is standard equipment on much cheaper cars.”

You and me both Consumer Reports. For shame Tesla, they even lied to Consumer Reports. And before any chorusing fanbois chime in (unhelpfully) that features would be rolled out -- ALL SAFETY FEATURES WERE NOT EXEMPTED. There was no language about the standard safety features needing anything. I was also assured by all Tesla employees that by my pick up in late December (just before Christmas) that my car would be like an AP1 car. I also don't want to hear about how "anyone that knows Tesla knows they lie through their teeth! How dumb are you for not doing hours and hours of research" into the pyschopathology of a company run by a guy who thinks Twitter is a great way to communicate.

Tesla really screwed up and they continue making it worse by their deafening failure to communicate with us (instead I read Electrek like its Tesla's official communication portal).

“When we purchased our latest test car, we were assured automatic emergency braking would be enabled by the end of 2016,” says Jake Fisher, director of Consumer Reports’ Auto Test Center in Colchester, Conn. “We’ve been waiting for this important safety feature, which is standard equipment on much cheaper cars.”

You and me both Consumer Reports. For shame Tesla, they even lied to Consumer Reports. And before any chorusing fanbois chime in (unhelpfully) that features would be rolled out -- ALL SAFETY FEATURES WERE NOT EXEMPTED. There was no language about the standard safety features needing anything. I was also assured by all Tesla employees that by my pick up in late December (just before Christmas) that my car would be like an AP1 car. I also don't want to hear about how "anyone that knows Tesla knows they lie through their teeth! How dumb are you for not doing hours and hours of research" into the pyschopathology of a company run by a guy who thinks Twitter is a great way to communicate.

Tesla really screwed up and they continue making it worse by their deafening failure to communicate with us (instead I read Electrek like its Tesla's official communication portal).

....and the rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights. I know what others are going to say, that we are waiting for all the raindrop videos to upload back to Tesla so they can use fleet learning to program the neural net to detect rain and set the proper wiper speed....

Tesla is like the lying child that refuses to admit their lie until it snowballs against them.

Honestly my wife and I really stretched our budget for a Tesla because of its stellar safety record. While AEB isn't, in and of itself, critical, it can be and Tesla's implementation is a big part of the 40% reduction in crash figures cited by NHSTA. Paying tons more and getting less is an insult. Being told outright untruths is a further insult to injury. My wife and I have only bought 2 cars. A Nissan LEAF and a Model S. I honestly can say that at least with the Nissan we knew what we were getting and while its nice having a car that constantly improves -- its not nice getting that car in substantially different worse than promised and then waiting months for it to "improve" to be what we paid for.

Tesla could've converted 2 young environmentally conscious people into life long customers. Instead, we're still very much in love with our car but its not lustful like it could've been. I still love my LEAF, warts and all. I'm sure I'll feel the same about my Model S but I also spent 4 times less on my LEAF, so its not like I had the same expectations. Tesla needs every customer they can get and while they might feel confident about sales currently, I wouldn't be too rosy about the future as they've burned quite a few of their evangelists with their shady shenanigans about Horsepower, battery ratings, and AP features.

I'm keeping my S. I already went through the worst of it. I expect Tesla to deliver on the rest, I'm just frustrated with how its gone down and Tesla's refusal to make amends (even CR says they should do it) for such a botched rollout. They are also relying on us to beta test the garbage they put out but will charge someone who buys today and didn't go through this crap the same amount (if they increased prices for EAP and FSD, I'd be fine because it would reflect that we were delivered something worth less than a finished product).

Reactions: pilotSteve
This morning someone posted that they got AEB firmware yesterday, without release notes and with an odd version number (17.11.45 showing up this week, after 17.14.35?)
It had release notes but it was like 4am and I forgot to snap a pic. Here's a pic from the Tesla app of the version number.

IMG_0253.jpg

I'm keeping my S. I already went through the worst of it. I expect Tesla to deliver on the rest, I'm just frustrated with how its gone down and Tesla's refusal to make amends (even CR says they should do it) for such a botched rollout. They are also relying on us to beta test the garbage they put out but will charge someone who buys today and didn't go through this crap the same amount (if they increased prices for EAP and FSD, I'd be fine because it would reflect that we were delivered something worth less than a finished product).
Just to increase your level of happiness as a Beta tester, I believe the cost of the EAP and FSD software will be greatly decreased -- not increased -- mostly due to the Model 3 rollout. $5000/$3000 a copy will be a tough sell for those Model 3 buyers on a budget, particularly given the dismal reviews by you beta testers. As for the minority of S and X buyers like me who didn't really care about "self-driving," it'll be a cold day in Hell before we spend $6000/$4000 for a product you and many others have warned us about. We could get similar thrills at Disneyland for a lot less money.

I'm not sure the Model 3 will feature a reduced software price. Tesla really needs the 3 to drive profits and the base 3 likely will not do that. They will need to make up margin on the specific software. Further, unless Tesla reduces the price across all models, why would the S and X owners pay more for the same exact software? If Tesla does reduce the software cost then they'll be eating away at profits which will drive their stock price down. Everything Tesla does seem to be driven by stock price in the past year and not their previous desire to deliver the best electric car. The rushed rollout of the Model 3 will only be done to please shareholders who mistake a rushjob for a competently executed rollout.

Reactions: Eclectic
I think timing of the release is probably due to the Filing of the Lawsuit and Consumer Reports ratings drop. My big concern now is are they rushing the feature to the market to try to make themselves look better or is the feature really ready for release. I just hope the feature can be turned off because this one if not done right could cause some serious accidents and I prefer not to be a Beta tester on this one.

I think timing of the release is probably due to the Filing of the Lawsuit and Consumer Reports ratings drop. My big concern now is are they rushing the feature to the market to try to make themselves look better or is the feature really ready for release. I just hope the feature can be turned off because this one if not done right could cause some serious accidents and I prefer not to be a Beta tester on this one.
Or.... it's just when it was ready and has nothing to do with either.

Reactions: bhzmark
the pyschopathology of a company run by a guy who thinks Twitter is a great way to communicate
follows the pyschopathology of a country run by a guy who thinks Twitter is a great way to communicate. ... and they hang out together.

Easy for me to say sitting pretty in my non-AP car in a different country.

I'm in the camp that AP doesn't matter to me... I also know I would never pay for those check boxes. It's got to come free with the car and then maybe I'd use it.. on a fair day. But I would need to see a way to "turn it off" if I didn't want to use it or trust it, or road conditions won't support its use.

Same goes for safety features... must be free with the car. And must be demonstrated when I'm test driving the car. Buyin' a car here, not a promise of what software might come in the future.

What if Model 3 comes out with all the giz of AP1 cars in its AP2/3 implementation... ahead of S or X... included in the price of the car? Thanks Model S/Xers for "funding that development".

I am on the list for 3. I won't be checking boxes for the extra driving software on my order. And thank God those boxes are optioned out of the base price of Tesla cars, so far.

Last edited: