Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports lowers ratings of AP 2 Model S and X due to lack of AEB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure the Model 3 will feature a reduced software price. Tesla really needs the 3 to drive profits and the base 3 likely will not do that. They will need to make up margin on the specific software. Further, unless Tesla reduces the price across all models, why would the S and X owners pay more for the same exact software? If Tesla does reduce the software cost then they'll be eating away at profits which will drive their stock price down. Everything Tesla does seem to be driven by stock price in the past year and not their previous desire to deliver the best electric car. The rushed rollout of the Model 3 will only be done to please shareholders who mistake a rushjob for a competently executed rollout.
The cost of cameras, sensors, CPU should come down if M3 uses the same ones as MS/X, due to economy of scale and better negotiation leverage with the vendors. The cost to develop and maintain the SW will be divided by 500K cars a year vs 80K in 2016.

I did not know they removed or omitted the vanilla-common rain sensor from the windshield of AP2 cars. This was my learning today.

..sorry, I thought they simply hadn't made the software suite use a sensor that was there. Trying to make a supercomputer interpret video to detect out-of-focus rain droplets seems overkill, or nary impossible. Considering a $10 sensor solves the issue.

I know this product is now defunct but this page has good theory on making a sensor detect rain:
Rain Tracker :: Sigma Automotive

I notice you can similar packages on ebay that maybe you can hookup to the multi-function wiper stalk in a Tesla AP2 that, questionably, may never get rain support from Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm keeping my S. I already went through the worst of it. I expect Tesla to deliver on the rest, I'm just frustrated with how its gone down and Tesla's refusal to make amends (even CR says they should do it) for such a botched rollout. They are also relying on us to beta test the garbage they put out but will charge someone who buys today and didn't go through this crap the same amount (if they increased prices for EAP and FSD, I'd be fine because it would reflect that we were delivered something worth less than a finished product).
In hind-sight, I think the right approach for Tesla would be to initially not charge the pricing delta if activated after purchasing, and customers could wait and jump in when they feel comfortable with the capability. Once AP2 reaches AP1 equivalency, then Tesla can implement the pricing delta if activated after purchasing.

I'm not sure the Model 3 will feature a reduced software price. Tesla really needs the 3 to drive profits and the base 3 likely will not do that. They will need to make up margin on the specific software. Further, unless Tesla reduces the price across all models, why would the S and X owners pay more for the same exact software? If Tesla does reduce the software cost then they'll be eating away at profits which will drive their stock price down. Everything Tesla does seem to be driven by stock price in the past year and not their previous desire to deliver the best electric car. The rushed rollout of the Model 3 will only be done to please shareholders who mistake a rushjob for a competently executed rollout.
Obviously no one knows future pricing but I believe the two software options will be cheaper than the present $5000/$3000 (and $6000/$4000 for upgrade) when Model 3 configurator opens. And if that happens, as you noted it would make no sense to charge more for the same software on S and X. Then you guys who paid $5000/$3000 or upgraded at $6000/$4000 will really be po'd. July should be interesting for all Tesla owners, current and future.

Obviously no one knows future pricing but I believe the two software options will be cheaper than the present $5000/$3000 (and $6000/$4000 for upgrade) when Model 3 configurator opens. And if that happens, as you noted it would make no sense to charge more for the same software on S and X. Then you guys who paid $5000/$3000 or upgraded at $6000/$4000 will really be po'd. July should be interesting for all Tesla owners, current and future.
Adding insult to injury, if the AP2 features do come out after July, and there is a price drop along with M3 release/configuration opening, then basically M3 will get the same feature at the same time as MS/MX, even thought many thousands MS/MX owners paid much more for it several months in advance. I'm not saying legally Tesla owes those people anything, and I don't want to poop on Tesla's engineering effort to get EAP/FSD done as quickly as possible, but I can understand if those owners are pissed.

I don't believe in coincidences. You can be sure Tesla is feeling pressure from impending litigation. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it on here or in the media.
Maybe CS contacted Tesla for feedback on this report and Tesla said "oh shoot lets release the SW and get out ahead of the news". Maybe Tesla gave CS the feedback that they are going to release it soon, and CS said "oh shoot lets release the report while it's still relevant". If this release provides working AEB, who cares by this time next week?

Maybe CS contacted Tesla for feedback on this report and Tesla said "oh shoot lets release the SW and get out ahead of the news". Maybe Tesla gave CS the feedback that they are going to release it soon, and CS said "oh shoot lets release the report while it's still relevant". If this release provides working AEB, who cares by this time next week?

The question is who will be brave enough to Beta test this one? Will it slam on the brakes if a squirrel is in the road? There is no description about the capability and what will set it into action. With Auto Pilot it brakes quite often from overhead signs still and even when passing certain vehicles but what will trigger a full stop? AutoPilot on AP2.0 vehicles does not see some large 18 wheelers, Will AEB see those or keep going? There are too many unknowns at the moment.

The question is who will be brave enough to Beta test this one? Will it slam on the brakes if a squirrel is in the road? There is no description about the capability and what will set it into action. With Auto Pilot it brakes quite often from overhead signs still and even when passing certain vehicles but what will trigger a full stop? AutoPilot on AP2.0 vehicles does not see some large 18 wheelers, Will AEB see those or keep going? There are too many unknowns at the moment.
I tested my gf's Mazda 3's EAB by standing up an empty flatscreen TV cardboard box on my local road and drive toward it. It was quite fun. But sure it doesn't fully test many scenarios that you listed. So yeah I can understand why it took Tesla this long to come out with it. It's not a trivial thing to get right. I just hope the squirrel population around Tesla HQ have survived their internal testing.

I've felt for months that they can't make it work with cameras alone, there's no other explanation that I can think of for why such a useful and expected feature hasn't been released.
I don't know about the wipers, but the camera based high beams are patented by Mobileye, so Tesla has to figure out a way that goes around the patent. So it's not necessarily they can't make it work, just that they have to figure out a way different than what Mobileye did.

With Auto Pilot it brakes quite often from overhead signs still and even when passing certain vehicles but what will trigger a full stop?

My guess would be nothing. Unless it is different on AP2 cars: On AP1 cars EAP is only designed to reduce the unavoidable collision by 25 MPH. (The release notes people posted for AP2 cars does still say unavoidable so my guess is it is still the same.)

The big question mark is.an "unavoidable collision" with what. My car is still braking for overhead tree limbs.

But that isn't AEB. (It couldn't have been up until the versions they released today.)
You beat me to it. That's not AEB, that's just TACC. The amount of braking AEB applies is drastically higher (up to 100% according to manual), so it must err on the side of avoiding false positives. TACC does not apply full braking.

Braking for overhead tree limbs??

California developers and Texas folks may not appreciate that, in many areas of the Deep South that weren't burned to the ground by General Sherman, we actually have trees that have formed canopies over many roads and highways. Before Elon and AP2, I never gave much thought to these being considered hazardous thoroughfares. Our Tesla really loves this one. While it's scared of the trees, it could care less about driving you out into the middle of the river on the other side.

C-a5PVnXsAQ_Jzy.jpg