Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports lowers ratings of AP 2 Model S and X due to lack of AEB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AP gets confused by shadows from deciduous trees that have lost their leaves. Now that the trees have small leaves and are blocking more of the sun, its less confused. Go figure.

We also have trees that form a canopy in the (small bit) of IL that is forested. AP doesn't seem to mind mine (oak trees are a good bit taller so the canopy might be high enough it doesn't care).

Re overhead tree limbs: I live in the south central part of Houston (usually called the Rice University area), whose planners lined the streets with trees. Main Street and the major boulevards in the Rice area were uniformly planted with live oaks, now huge trees in the oldest parts. Because live oaks are broad, spreading trees, they have formed "tunnels" no higher than 16 to 17 feet above the streets throughout the area, which is lower than the canopy in your photo. Anyone living in this part of Houston enjoys these canopies, which mitigate the heat and glare of summer. The example of the Rice area has been followed in most Houston residential areas and along broad avenues as the city grew. Trees grow in this part of Texas as vigorously as anywhere in the Deep South.
There are also highway segments in the region where the trees have created overhead canopies.
My point: to go anywhere in Houston, I must first drive for at least a mile underneath overhead tree limbs. My AP1 2015 Model S (which currently has firmware 8.1 17.11.10) has never given an AEB warning or automatically braked for these tree limbs. Nor has TACC ever braked when passing under overhead limbs. Both AEB braking and TACC braking in my car are fully operational, and AEB has prevented at least one collision. Given the design of the AP, TACC and AEB systems, the automatic braking you describe is extremely abnormal. What you need is a calibration adjustment or some other AP repair at the Service Center.

TACC and AEB are using the same hardware to make those decisions. That was kinda my point. If you can't get it right on a small scale, what makes you think it's going to be better when your Tesla slams on the brakes harder?
But my point is the software logic is different. TACC will brake for scenarios that AEB will never brake for. AEB necessarily has to be tuned to be a lot more strict against false positives since it can apply 100% braking.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Based on how long this took I'm hoping it's a solid product. I'm just suspicious because it arrived in response to consumer reports calling them or and not their own satisfaction with it.
It could also be the other way around. Electrek leaked and confirmed that AEB would be released a day before CR's article. Also someone said that they were told by their DS about AEB coming in two weeks, a week ago on Friday.
Tesla will release ‘Automatic Emergency Braking’ feature on cars with Autopilot 2.0 hardware this week
AEB by end of week

So it could be CR got wind that AEB would be released and they realized that this was their last chance to write an article about it missing, so they made it a big deal.

Last edited:
OMG the drama. A year from now nobody will care as all the self drive features are on line and years beyond other car manufacturers.

A year? Really? Wow.....

IMG_0068.PNG

Re overhead tree limbs: I live in the south central part of Houston (usually called the Rice University area), whose planners lined the streets with trees. Main Street and the major boulevards in the Rice area were uniformly planted with live oaks, now huge trees in the oldest parts. Because live oaks are broad, spreading trees, they have formed "tunnels" no higher than 16 to 17 feet above the streets throughout the area, which is lower than the canopy in your photo. Anyone living in this part of Houston enjoys these canopies, which mitigate the heat and glare of summer. The example of the Rice area has been followed in most Houston residential areas and along broad avenues as the city grew. Trees grow in this part of Texas as vigorously as anywhere in the Deep South.
There are also highway segments in the region where the trees have created overhead canopies.
My point: to go anywhere in Houston, I must first drive for at least a mile underneath overhead tree limbs. My AP1 2015 Model S (which currently has firmware 8.1 17.11.10) has never given an AEB warning or automatically braked for these tree limbs. Nor has TACC ever braked when passing under overhead limbs. Both AEB braking and TACC braking in my car are fully operational, and AEB has prevented at least one collision. Given the design of the AP, TACC and AEB systems, the automatic braking you describe is extremely abnormal. What you need is a calibration adjustment or some other AP repair at the Service Center.

Your AP1 Tesla uses a completely different technology. It relies upon 10 years of MobilEye R&D coupled with MobilEye hardware. My AP2 cream puff has a whopping six months of seat-of-the-pants development in house at Tesla with no MobilEye hardware or software. The top 3 guys in the development group have already bailed. So we're talking about completely different animals.

What I find most infuriating is that Musk is apparently putting little time into this mess he created for his customers. Today he's out with new plans for networks of tunnels through major cities. That's nice, but maybe it's time to put away the vision thing for a while and come to the office every day until the Tesla is once again a source of pride.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and NerdUno
With $12B and Amber on my arm you could call me Eoff and I wouldn't care in the least.
Hopefully Musk doesn't feel that way? I mean, why would we as customers want a CEO who thinks the way this AEB release went down is perfectly fine?

Honestly seems so bizarre that while facing a suit about being misleading, Tesla sends out an update that is completely misleading. Those lawyers probably popped a bottle of champagne!

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
If Tesla wants to show some respect for its customers their CEO needs to stop communicating by cryptic Tweets. Unlike the more famous Tweeter-in-Chief, Elon Musk is actually smart, literate, and articulate. He should send out a periodic bulletin describing in detail the status of the plan to bring HW2 cars up to the standard of HW1, and then to reveal the schedule for the promised vast improvements over HW1.

A significant but dwindling number of Tesla owners feel like participants in a journey, not just customers. Why let all that good will evaporate?

Product deployment 101: Under-promise and over-deliver.

Customer Service 101: Over-communicate.

Tesla isn't meeting either of these criteria right now. The first may be very difficult; we just don't know. That's why the second is so important. Doctors have discovered that the best way to avoid malpractice lawsuits is to admit errors rather than try to hide them from patients, and to discuss appropriate remediation. It's a good lesson for any business.