Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: Model X - Least Reliable Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are always more issues with the first model year of a car.
I am not surprised at all at CR's rating. I agree with others that I hope it encourages Tesla to improve even faster than they already are.

As for those with delivery, product, or service issues, I am very sorry about your poor experience.
For those who are reading, some of us have no where near these issues or problems. From people I know, very few have these issues.

Why can't Tesla at least give consumer reports a flawless vehicle? Even my X is better than the one they received!

The data has nothing to do with what kind of car they have... this was from a survey:

So every year we send Consumer Reports subscribers our Annual Auto Reliability Survey to determine which vehicles are likely to be dependable and which ones are an invitation to years of headaches. (From the report linked)
So, while you could blame the problems on Tesla for overall quality, or on owners for overall for grumbling, You can't blame Tesla for sending a lemon.

Reactions: cwerdna
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I believe the problem is cultural. Tesla's culture is "do anything to attempt to meet impossible deadlines." The culture is not "quality first." When the CEO is reduced to sleeping on the factory floor, there are big problems. If corporations are people, this one needs an intervention.

The culture leads to hardware problems, such as the X, and software problems, such as Autopilot's (preventabl) 9x higher traffic-fatality rate (as compared to non-AP Teslas).

Last edited:
I am not surprised at all at CR's rating. I agree with others that I hope it encourages Tesla to improve even faster than they already are.

As for those with delivery, product, or service issues, I am very sorry about your poor experience.
For those who are reading, some of us have no where near these issues or problems. From people I know, very few have these issues.
Agreed, even tho my early Model X has had a number of issues and service waits.
Check out the latest post on TeslaMondo

Tesla's culture is "do anything to attempt to meet impossible deadlines." The culture is not "quality first."

The Tesla culture is decarbonize the global economy ASAP before we all die on an Earth inhospitable to human life.

That means scale up production as quickly as possible to eat other automakers profits as quickly as possible thereby forcing other auto companies to transition to electric vehicles as quickly as possible.

If that is irrelevant or a low priority then Lexus has the lowest problems per 100 vehicles.

Just passed 40K miles on my Model S. This was bought in March 2014 so it wasn't first off the line. As someone said above...driving reliability is great. Everything else is horrible. I'm a super-satisfied kool-aid drinking happy Telsa owner, but in less than 3 years I've had:
- Nosecone replaced
- Entire motor replaced due to high-pitched squealing sound that started after 2 years
- Entire dash pad replaced
- Dashboard screen replaced twice
- Passenger seat and driver's seat both replaced (two years apart for completely different issues)
- AC fans replaced
- Countless rattles attempt to be fixed
- Tailgate pieces replaced as I had significant water intrusion into the tail light assemblies causing one of the tail lights to fail completely
- Two chrome pieces needed to be glued back on
- The infamous frunk dent
- I have a rear seat-belt on order

That's off the top of my head. Fantastic car, yes. Reliable? Nope.

Service center has been great (despite appointments a month out).

As much as I love my X, I do have to agree with CR's assesement on the X. As I write this, my X is in the shop with a door latch problem - a problem they have fixed twice previously. With the number of days it's been in the shop, it could be classififed as a lemon. I am sure there are a lot of other people in the same boat. However, I still believe it's an excellent car overall even with all of these issues. I just wish the SC's have a much quicker turnaround.

This is a key point. If you read the CR article, they note that the first year or two of a new model's introduction or redesign will usually have reliability issues - no matter the manufacturer. There is an inherent trade-off between reliability and innovation. They refer to this with their upgrade of the Model S reliability rating. Over time, Tesla has refined the S such that current deliveries no longer have the issues the first year or two of Model S production had.

Tesla can mitigate that by being very responsive to warranty/service requests and having very fast product improvement cycle times. (My experience with both has been very good, though nothing is perfect.) Other manufacturers avoid the issue by rarely introducing new models and only redesigning models every 5-10 years.

In the end, if you want something extremely reliable, buy an established make/model that is 5 years or so into it's latest redesign.

As long time owners of Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura vehicles, my wife and I only recently considered owning vehicles not made in Japan or by a Japanese automotive manufacturer. Her MINI (bought three years ago) and our Model X (acquired just over a month ago) are truly gambles outside of our comfort zone and we are anticipating that both might not offer the same worry-free experience that we enjoyed with our previous cars.

I, however, never expected to buy a car that would appear at the bottom of any Consumer Reports list just a month after I bought it.

Knowing full well the numerous production delays caused by the complicated design of the Falcon Wing Doors / autopilot / unusually large windshield / whatever, I hesitated purchasing my Model X until June of this year. I took a gamble that Tesla would resolve many of the initial production issues and, based on the solid build quality of mine, am still convinced I made the right decision. That said, I have not yet driven 1,000 miles. The real test will only come after time and distance.

So I'm going to cross my fingers that my Tesla experience remains a positive one and that, by this time next year, the Model X will join the Model S on Consumer Reports' recommended list. That said, I will purchase a pre-paid service plan...

The model x is a very technocentric SUV built from the ground up by a small(Ish) American car company who has never made an SUV which is far different than any other SUV in the market. This is also the first year they have done this and will need more time to perfect it. Current owners are considered early adopters and we should have known this coming in. The FWD were designed by them and has never been done before. For all the updates and technological advancements crammed into it, I'm just glad the motors and batteries aren't the issue and people are left stranded.

Give it some time and thing will get worked out. I am not without issues as myX has FWD issues, seat belt electronic issues, rear seat used to get stuck, panel alignment and a few more but i understand that this isn't just a new body style of something else but a completely new design with a lot of innovation and new things we're out in such as the pedestal monopost seats.

The long wait in service is also because they are overwhelmed. Tesla is trying their best and that's all we can ask for. It one thing is certain, quality of service is still the best. They try to make it right they move the skies for us (p90dl loaners, whole new seats based on a stain, vehicles picked up at your house and loaner delivered).

We just have to be patient and thankful we don't have any issues that leave us stranded as these things will inevitably work out. Frankly I'm. It surprised by their rating but all the problems are fixable and small (kind of)

I have been thinking about the consumer reports assessment of the Model X and I agree there have been some problems with some of the early MX's, however my April build MX has had very few issues and all of them have been minor things like rattles and stuff. For 8,000 + miles I have been the happiest guy on the road and never ever have been concerned about making it to my destination. I guess the issue I have with the CR report is that I equate 'reliability', with more major issues and not minor stuff, so putting the MX in the worst ten car category seems like it should be for cars that repeatedly end up un-drivable and leave the owner stranded. As to the FWD's, I think some deference could have been given to the amazing leap in technology they represent, but I guess that is just because I love them so much. In the end, CR is a conservative organization and I have happily used their sober analyses for many years to buy tried and true vehicles, but I wonder if their model will continue to apply to the new automotive reality of rapid technological innovation.

I guess the issue I have with the CR report is that I equate 'reliability', with more major issues and not minor stuff, so putting the MX in the worst ten car category seems like it should be for cars that repeatedly end up un-drivable and leave the owner stranded.

The thing is even Chrysler cars don't do that (repeatedly leave you stranded on the side of the road) anymore. This is not the 70's or 80's.

We have TMCers who freak out, demand Tesla take back their car, and sell all their Tesla stock over trim and paint imperfections because a $150k sports sedan should be flawless.

My X has been flawless since delivery. 6000 miles. Zero days at the shop.

I've had my X 6 months today. It has spent a cumulative four weeks of that time in the Service Center for various issues with doors, key fobs, active spoiler, windows, and seats).

I tend to agree with the CR assessment. I am a 20 year reader of CR and take their reviews very seriously when considering purchases. When I placed my order for the X, the S was much loved, so I took a chance.

My X has definitely not lived up to my expectations.

Tesla needs to step-up. Our Palo Alto service center is overbooked, and full of Model X. This will crush them if this continues as they grow; the "fanboy pass" days are nearly over. The best service center is one that you don't need to visit.
This seems to be a west coast problem (which makes total sense) , here in Cincinnati Ohio when we got a large screw in our tire, I got into the service center same day (only 1 hr after screw discovery), they had a new tire put on, the car vacuumed, adjusted falcon wing doors to remedy a squeak, wheels and tires cleaned, and fully supercharged all within 20 minutes... I literally didn't have time to finish my coffee in the lounge. I was blown away. Hopefully they can expand number of staff in those "hotspot" areas such as Palo Alto and get back to this level of service, it truly is an amazing experience when it's done right.