TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Consumer Reports : P85D vs Hellcat

Discussion in 'News' started by Fezzik, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

1.02Gs and 0-30 in 1.3 seconds! Truly insane.

3. gene

gene Active Member

After all that obnoxious noise the Hellcat made, I wish when the Tesla was accelerating we could have heard the silence rather than that loud music soundtrack.

4. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Great video! Thanks for posting.

5. Olle

Olle Member

Nice job these guys have! What SOC do you think they're running at? I thought 1.3 g and 0-60 in 3.05 sec at 100% charge

6. JER

JER Member

The P85D acceleration plot looks so neat in comparison. If it weren't for the noise, you might mistake it for an engineering projection.

7. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

interesting comparo but other than 700hp there is absolutely nothing in common with these vehicles. one is a planet killing, crude, obnoxious POS, the other ....... well we all know :wink:

8. tkizzy

tkizzy Member

Would be cool to see this same comparison between P85d and just 85d.

9. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

And here's the corresponding article for those that prefer text over video. It also includes this nice clean image. I may have to print this out and add it to my car show materials. :)

CRO_Cars_Hellcat_Chart_06-15.png

10. Rownolds

Rownolds High Mileage Member

Does anyone else think that plateau at 1 G looks suspiciously software limited?

11. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Of course it is. They don't want to destroy the battery by drawing too much power!

12. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I am sure it is as it is with most cars. If you dump full power something will break and that is not fun.

Another possibility is that is the limit of tire traction.

13. JER

JER Member

Yes, this.

Road tyres aren't going to do a lot better than 1g before breaking traction. That smooth plateau is evidence of (near-perfect) traction control exploiting all the mechanical grip you can get before the slip ratio gets excessive.

The decaying curve after that is just what you should expect from power-limited acceleration.

14. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

15. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I guess they reasoned that they were giving viewers maximum choice. Those who like the racket got their racket and those who prefer silence can just mute the racket.:wink:

It almost looks to clean to be real-world. Seems more like a simulation you'd see prepared for a product pitch presentation.
    "Here is how BRAND-X performed. Now watch how crisply and cleanly our product handles a similar situation."

16. PAULL

PAULL Member

I would have to agree here.The natural/perfect world peak of the motor output would be pointed, and if there were slicks on the car, I wager the cutoff would remain, mostly.
    I doubt very highly the tripod joints used in this car, (or any IRS setup like this), could handle the full actual torque of that motor.
    Assuming tires never slip/slip as little as a warmed drag tires would. I know of axles a similarly sized that break pretty regularly at around 550'.
    /.02
    :smile:

17. JER

JER Member

Yes, software limited. The software is traction control, and the alternative is wheelspin.

18. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

This is great. I personally would love to see all the other versions of the Model S on the graph as well. It would show a bit on how Tesla has learned and adapted to the technology.

19. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Ooh, good idea! Does anybody happen to have access to equipment capable of recording data like that in the Consumer Reports chart?