Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports reliability of Model S - worse than average

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO the only way for Tesla to diffuse this situation is with a comprehensive extended warranty option for new and CPO cars without a $200 per incident deductible. Otherwise few if any would want to own a Model S out of warranty and that will affect resale values substantially.

Tesla also needs to go back to the old policy with respect to Ranger / Valet service, or improve upon that policy. The idea that those of us that live a distance from a service center should have to pay hundreds of dollars to have our cars transported in for warranty service, when that wasn't the deal we signed up for when we purchased our cars is crazy. This is the time for Tesla to right that wrong.

Check with me in about a year, as I should be over 100K miles by then. :) To this point, Tesla has made money on my warranty reserve and ESA. Outside of the dreading droning drive unit at ~10K miles and one 12V battery replacement (proactive), I have only had a couple of other minor things, which, if the car was not under warranty/ESA, I would would have ignored.

That's probably how they will respond to this report, service has been awesome. Emphasize service and this should not be a problem. My Subaru had some issues, but service was great and I really enjoyed the car and brand.

I had "air dampening" issue that made an intermitten noise this Spring and they couldn't figure it out the first time in the service center. But the next time I was in they solved it. Service is tremendous.

Last edited:
I think that what owners have to say about their cars is often "tainted" by their personal perceptions about the car, the brand, the mission of the automaker (in Tesla's case) and any number of other factors.

This may very well be.

Assuming it is, I think part of what the "Consumer Reports" findings are reflecting is a shift in attitude among Tesla owners. I've written about my thoughts on this attitude shift before, and how misstep after misstep by Tesla has caused their customers' feelings towards them to change. I even started a poll on the topic here:

Has the way you feel about Tesla changed the way you speak about Tesla to others?

I hope this "Consumer Reports" article serves as the wake up call Tesla management needs. I don't think it is too late for Tesla to right the ship. Tesla simply can't keep making decisions that result in more and more disgruntled customers. They need to step up their game, and become more like the Tesla of a couple of years ago.

What a bad day to be a TSLA owner, ugh.

Now for some more positive perspective. I have a 2013 Model S that is now approaching 60K miles. It's been very reliable. I have never been stranded or "can't make the car go". Biggest issues: creeks and rattles, and drive unit noise. Love the car, no regrets.

And it does. That's exactly my point.

Apparently you haven't seen a CU owners survey. There are no questions that can be answered subjectively. The questions ask how many times the vehicle has been taken for repairs in the past year, further broken out as to categories of repair (engine, transmission, brakes, body, etc.). The only way bias could appear would be by lying; if people made up repair work reports(negative) or chose not to mention repairs done (positive).

The only way bias could appear would be by lying; if people made up repair work reports(negative) or chose not to mention repairs done (positive).

And I believe people lie (or to be fair, maybe unintentionally misrepresent). My friend with the Toyota would regularly tell people his cars were absolutely trouble free, yet I knew otherwise. I even used to help him out by driving him to/from the dealer when he'd drop it off for repairs and once had to come out and "rescue" him when he got a flat and the spare tire was seized by rust to the car. But in any conversations, he would say his cars are perfect and he hasn't had any problems at all. He really liked his cars and the brand, and I think he either forgot or didn't want to admit to anything that was contrary to his "world view" of Toyota at the time.

I wrote a blog post on this. My Model S 50,000 Mile Service Record | TESLA OWNER

I've had seven issues but also have a below 5,000 VIN and 50,000 miles. (minus 500)

Tesla service is stellar, the car is fabulous. I'd never choose an ICE. Here's my seven issues:

1. Serious problems with tire alignment ruining tires
  2. Door handles that would not open
  3. Bluetooth issues connecting to the iphone
  4. Faulty tire pressure warning sensors
  5. Panoramic roof liner had exposed adhesive
  6. Roadster adapter cable failed completely
  7. 12 Volt battery replacement

Some of you placed little importance on the squeaks and rattles, but for me, paying close to if not above $100K for a car, I'd be embarrassed having to explain to people why those issues exist in the first place. Rattles and squeaks in a $14,000 Chevy is expected, not in a $100,000 luxury car. The sounds actually appear louder due to lack of an ICE.

Yeah. How does that become poor? The drive unit even went to excellent.

Two things the icon display cannot show you:
Each icon represents a range of scores within its category. A move from "very good" at one point below excellent to the first threshold data point of "excellent" looks bigger in the graph than it is. A move from high "very good" to low "good" might look minor but scores big.

The summary is based on overall number scores as compared to all cars' average performance. A slight drop or even no drop in score could nevertheless drop hugely in overall if the average score increased markedly.

Some of you placed little importance on the squeaks and rattles, but for me, paying close to if not above $100K for a car, I'd be embarrassed having to explain to people why those issues exist in the first place. Rattles and squeaks in a $14,000 Chevy is expected, not in a $100,000 luxury car. The sounds actually appear louder due to lack of an ICE.

You will be shortly informed that Tesla has never claimed the Model S is a "luxury" car, but a "premium" one.

And I believe people lie (or to be fair, maybe unintentionally misrepresent). My friend with the Toyota would regularly tell people his cars were absolutely trouble free, yet I knew otherwise. I even used to help him out by driving him to/from the dealer when he'd drop it off for repairs and once had to come out and "rescue" him when he got a flat and the spare tire was seized by rust to the car. But in any conversations, he would say his cars are perfect and he hasn't had any problems at all. He really liked his cars and the brand, and I think he either forgot or didn't want to admit to anything that was contrary to his "world view" of Toyota at the time.

Conversation is not the same as checking the box for how many times in the past 12 months have you had service on "x category repair". The former is statement of overall impression, the latter is response to specific data point.

Two things the icon display cannot show you:
Each icon represents a range of scores within its category. A move from "very good" at one point below excellent to the first threshold data point of "excellent" looks bigger in the graph than it is. A move from high "very good" to low "good" might look minor but scores big.

The summary is based on overall number scores as compared to all cars' average performance. A slight drop or even no drop in score could nevertheless drop hugely in overall if the average score increased markedly.

Fair point, but the overall grade moved two steps (from good to poor), not to an adjacent step (good to fair), so perhaps their is some other weighting or something that is not apparent.

Last edited:

From the article:

The overall message from Chowdhry is that the Consumer Reports piece will have zero impact on Model S and Model X sales. The analyst noted that once a person drives a Tesla, they'll never go back to an internal combustion engine again, based on feedback.

This is so true. So really Tesla's competitors are other EV manufacturers where they've clearly set the bar.