Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports says older cars will not be compatible w/ version 7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because they cost $100k?

I understand that technology moves forward and our iThings are outdated in 2-3 years. I also understand that the Model S is an iPad on wheels.

People upgrade their phones and pads every 2-3 years, not a big deal given the price point. I don't think you can extend that same parallel to a $100,000 car. While some here have the deep pockets necessary to trade the car every 2-3 years to have the latest and greatest, I'm certainly not in that boat. In this respect I hope that Tesla takes care of its earlier customers. For Tesla to sunset my software after only 2 years would be a big disappointment.

Here's to CR being wrong.

ah, how history repeats itself :)

was it not only a few months ago that Tesla put out Autopilot and other features, and jealous "Keep up with the joneses" customers got mad cuz - surprise, surprise - the pace of software updates surpasses your car's permission/ability to receive updates?

lets face it, dudes: as it is in iOS, it is in Tesla: software updates are constant & eternal. Your car getting them, is not.

I have high confidence that every Model S delivered will have at least 8 years of software updates. Is it because of some confidence or trust (blind or otherwise) in Tesla? No, it's because there is an 8 year warranty on the battery and drivetrain (for the 85s), and it would be monumentally foolish for Tesla to stop doing software updates prior to that warranty expiring.

i gather it's monumentally foolish to expect software updates equal to your warranty.

no major piece of computer product has EVER received that much update support period. Except maybe windows XP.

and

trust me

you dont wanna go XP

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the "Annual Service" -- for $600/year (or $1,900/4 years if prepaid) -- was supposed to include "necessary hardware upgrades."

While I would not expect my annual service to cover an upgrade for new features I never had in the first place (like parking sensors or auto-pilot), I would expect it to cover a faster main processor if it were required to be able to update and run the core operating system of the car. Similarly, when 4G/LTE chips become available for the data connection, I would expect that to be upgraded as well, since at some point the speed of the data connection will need to be improved in order to maintain reasonable functionality.

$600 annual check will include HW upgrade and fix if needed? | Forums | Tesla Motors

to answer the bold: there wont be a faster processor for you. becuz there wont be an updated "core OS" - for your car. Only for newer cars, ie. not yours.

in the recent talk with Elon, the Nvidia CEO basically revealed that Elon is already demanding a faster Tegra, as the current one is not enough.

That tells you alot about the adequacy both the current software & hardware in the car, versus the vision of Elon for the OS in the coming years.

I recognize that tech products are going to have a lifecycle; I wouldn't expect my iPhone 3 to run iOS 8. However, the product lifecycle on a car should be much longer than on a phone, and at the very least it should be upgradeable to be able to extend that lifecycle. If, now or even two or three years from now, my car stops being eligible for software updates because the hardware cannot handle them (and Tesla doesn't have a reasonable pathway to upgrade the processor), I'll be very unhappy about it. Having said that, I'd be really surprised if we hit that point anytime soon.

oh no question about it: your car's lifecycle will still be valid. Just not the software version.

after all, the "product" you're buying is a car - not its OS.

just imagine it's like using windows XP in 2012. Technically, the antique-ass mother****er still works. Technically.

to answer the bold: there wont be a faster processor for you. becuz there wont be an updated "core OS" - for your car. Only for newer cars, ie. not yours.

in the recent talk with Elon, the Nvidia CEO basically revealed that Elon is already demanding a faster Tegra, as the current one is not enough.

That tells you alot about the adequacy both the current software & hardware in the car, versus the vision of Elon for the OS in the coming years.

Sure, and we can expect that faster Tegra in some future Tesla product, like the Model 3 or the 2019 (7 year lifecycle) replacement for the Model S. It doesn't mean that Tesla will slipstream a faster Tegra into current Model S production - and suddenly make current cars obsolete because they can't run the latest/greatest software release that requires the features of the new Tegra.

i gather it's monumentally foolish to expect software updates equal to your warranty.

no major piece of computer product has EVER received that much update support period. Except maybe windows XP.
and
trust me
you dont wanna go XP
Actually I didn't say equal. I suggested at least equal to your warranty.

As for Windows XP, there's a large portion of the planet that still disagrees with your dislike of Window XP. But we digress.

Did they state that your car would come with AP? I imagine not, so you still got the incredible car that you wanted. I've missed the boat on things in the past like this, but I would never complain because it devalues the choice I made originally. I understand how people feel bad that they won't get the AP functionality, but when you bought your car the functionality didn't even exist. It's hard to get upset over something that wasn't available over a year ago. I hope you still love your car - you're still light years ahead of other manufacturers. Consider yourself very well pampered.

Hey, JimmyAZ -- please point out where you saw me "complain" or be "upset". All I said was "2 or 3 years? Autopilot rolled out less than one year after I bought mine!" That's called a fact. Stating facts is not complaining or being upset. If you read my posts when autopilot came out, and I missed it by 6 months with my car, I said repeatedly that I got the car I paid for and I never complained one bit, nor was I upset. Sure, there was some disappointment, but that's very different than complaining or being upset. In fact, I said this:

What solution do you propose to this dilemma? I'm not criticizing you, since you do make a valid point, I'm just wondering how it can be avoided? Tesla does "build an awesome car, but also that their purchase experience is vastly superior to anything else you can get" (at least in my experience) but I also feel some disappointment with my car that is only 6 months old and doesn't have AWD which I would definitely have bought. But I feel the same disappointment as I do with computers, TV's, and other electronics that constantly get better for the same or even less money. Sure, this is a much larger purchase, but Tesla is building cars how they should be built, like electronic gadgets, and as such we have to expect this. I am also 6 months closer to the grave and I'll never get the past 6 months back. I had a great summer with my car but even if rolled off the line last week, this is all part of life. No use sweating the small stuff. That's how I look at it at least.

Disappointed with the D unveiling - Page 14

Please don't jump on people here for posting facts and assume negative emotions when none exist. Plus, I think an apology might be in order but I'll leave that up to you.

I thought one of the most important points the CR guys made is that since the electronics are becoming such an important part of cars, the manufacturers need to start making these modular since the lifespan of the car exceeds the functional lifespan of the electronics. Sure, it can't all be done for free, but if you could just pull out the touchscreen and plug in a new one at a reasonable cost, many would pay for an upgrade, particularly as cellular and wireless protocols evolve. Auto manufacturers should start considering building wiring harnesses with extra capacity or multiplexing over fiber optics which would then interface with current controllers located in strategic areas. Want to add sonar to the front bumper? Sure, all we need to do is plug it into the fiber optic network and add the necessary software. Tesla is already far ahead of many manufacturers in that almost all current in the car is controlled via the computer, rather than via myriad switches scattered over the dash.

I thought one of the most important points the CR guys made is that since the electronics are becoming such an important part of cars, the manufacturers need to start making these modular since the lifespan of the car exceeds the functional lifespan of the electronics. Sure, it can't all be done for free, but if you could just pull out the touchscreen and plug in a new one at a reasonable cost, many would pay for an upgrade, particularly as cellular and wireless protocols evolve. Auto manufacturers should start considering building wiring harnesses with extra capacity or multiplexing over fiber optics which would then interface with current controllers located in strategic areas. Want to add sonar to the front bumper? Sure, all we need to do is plug it into the fiber optic network and add the necessary software. Tesla is already far ahead of many manufacturers in that almost all current in the car is controlled via the computer, rather than via myriad switches scattered over the dash.

The rub there is that auto manufacturers (Tesla included) want you to buy another car. They don't want you to upgrade your existing car, they want you to buy a new one. And part of that is why the margins they have on any retrofits is so high.

The rub there is that auto manufacturers (Tesla included) want you to buy another car. They don't want you to upgrade your existing car, they want you to buy a new one. And part of that is why the margins they have on any retrofits is so high.

This makes sense, even if you compare it to the computer world. A Macbook bought in 2012 is not going to have certain hardware that can run the latest OSX with all the features that the newest Macbook can run. If Apple spent time placating everyone who bought a prior product, there would never be any big leaps in design or innovation with their products. At the time people bought the first-run Teslas, they paid for the car as it was then... not for never-ending future updates of the car's software. The updates are just simply a "bonus" if you will. My 2011 ICE vehicle become old the first day I drove it off the dealership lot.... and the only updates it ever got were two recall notices for parts that were deemed unsafe. When the 2012 model came out with newer hardware and better "tech", we just accept it. This is true even for the highest end sports cars that are double what you pay for a Model S. Why hold Tesla to some unachievable standard whereby all their cars must be infinitely updatable? I don't expect my 2015 Tesla to be able to infinitely update and realize that in 3 years there might be a newer crazier model that has hardware we haven't dreamt up yet. Didn't have time to read all of the thread, sorry if this is beating a dead horse.

You can't "upgrade" a two year old iPhone or iPad with the latest processor or camera.

I am not an automotive engineer -- and likely no one else who has posted in this thread is either -- but making the Model S processor or wiring harness or bumper sensors easily upgradable is likely not as easy as one might think.

no major piece of computer product has EVER received that much update support period.

I'm not sure what kind of computers you buy, but I have never in my life bought a computer or smart phone that did not get several updates and even major OS upgrades well beyond the warranty period...

I think that will change when autopilot is enabled!

Well, if that's true then our classic cars will not bear this processing burden. Also, do we know for sure that the Tegra 3 is handling EVERYTHING? Where does the image processing occur for the forward-facing camera? Is that in a separate piece of hardware or is everything running through the Tegra CPU - including drivetrain functions that we cannot see or access?

Why hold Tesla to some unachievable standard whereby all their cars must be infinitely updatable?

I'm not suggesting infinite updateability. But I do think that there should a reasonable timeframe to be guaranteed that you'll continue receiving updates--since OTA software updates are a significant selling point and benefit of this particular vehicle. I'd expect that to be at least 5 years -- but preferably 7 or 8. Consider: The "map updates" that came with the tech package are supposed to be for 7 years (Then again, are they even specifying that timeframe anymore?).

8 pages of speculation. Sheesh.

The processor in the car is far from state-of-the-art. It's safe to assume that Tesla will upgrade it eventually. The processing unit is much more modular than autopilot, so an upgrade should be possible. The question is whether Tesla will make that available, and at what cost.

Until then, enjoy your car.

Well, if that's true then our classic cars will not bear this processing burden. Also, do we know for sure that the Tegra 3 is handling EVERYTHING? Where does the image processing occur for the forward-facing camera? Is that in a separate piece of hardware or is everything running through the Tegra CPU - including drivetrain functions that we cannot see or access?

I think the autopilot hardware has additional CPUs. Safety critical systems should be firewalled from things like the UI and entertainment.