Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports says older cars will not be compatible w/ version 7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, Elon said that current software uses very little of the car's on-board hardware capabilities. More is always better, but Tesla is hardly tapping what the Tegra 3 is capable of.

I thought he said the exact opposite during his interview with the Nvidia CEO. The comment was along the lines of having excess processing power in the beginning, but the subsequent software updates taking a lot of that away.

Ok, I have waded thru 82 interesting posts in this thread...

Suggestion... take a look at the Nvidia video where Musk and Nvidia CEO Huang discuss the future of Autonomous Driving....

Link->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDm6Snkle70

Then at the end of that video you will see that Nvidia has created a workbench and module for Autonomous Driving for OEMs such as TESLA, AUDI, etc.
There was an implication that TM and Nvidia engineers are working very closely with each other as you would expect.

So what does this mean really.... future X and S models will incorporate the new Nvidia hardware... probability?....very likely.

Also the graphics subsystem(s) for the central display and driver display will be upgraded... probability?.... very likely.

Will these first appear in the X or the S?... who knows....

The point of concern for some here then is when will this take place and if you already have a Model S, where will this leave me and my $100K+ purchase.

We do not know. Not one of us here. There appears to be a configuration file or registry on the Model S.
This can keep older Model S versions in the running for some time.... however expect OTA updates to run longer and longer perhaps.

As an aside, in the world of UHD TVs, I noticed that the 2015 Samsung's have changed their design. A future proof module has all of the compute power
and ports. It is the size of an old VHS tape and sits outboard of the display. Only one HDMI comes from this self contained module to the video display head. At some time Samsung will allow owners to get to the next "level" by purchasing an upgrade to their future proof module.

Tesla could perhaps take this approach in the future with the implementation of its compute engines....

It is going to be an interesting world and ride... Have Fun!

I noticed that the 2015 Samsung's have changed their design. A future proof module has all of the compute power
and ports. It is the size of an old VHS tape and sits outboard of the display. Only one HDMI comes from this self contained module to the video display head. At some time Samsung will allow owners to get to the next "level" by purchasing an upgrade to their future proof module.

Tesla could perhaps take this approach in the future with the implementation of its compute engines.
Great idea. Unlike the chipset of a smartphone, the brains of a Model S is a low % of the cars cost. If the Tegra and cellular chips could be replaced easily, it would future-proof an investment far bigger than a Samsung 60" screen.