Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports says older cars will not be compatible w/ version 7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
none of us know how true this is (it's not a yes or no question, it's more of 'to what extent will it be true')

but that aside

cmon, dudes, why y'all so surprised/distraught :)

you guys celebrated the smartphone-ification/iPad-ification of your cars. Well guess what, those iThings get outdated in 2 or 3 years.

why should cars be the exception?

Can we please retreat from the implementation details and focus on what the CR guy said: older cars won't be able to run OS (sic) 7. Owners here interpret that as "older cars will not get the new, improved UI." I can see no valid reason for Tesla to do such a thing unless the older cars have a less capable processor/memory configuration that is unable to host the code for the new UI. So far I have heard nothing to substantiate that there have been changes in the Tegra 3 hardware configuration between autopilot and non-autopilot cars. So I believe the CR guy got it wrong.

Last edited:
you guys celebrated the smartphone-ification/iPad-ification of your cars. Well guess what, those iThings get outdated in 2 or 3 years.
why should cars be the exception?
Excellent point. The Model S and all future Tesla's are simply computers on wheels. They are regularly being improved with new hardware and firmware, just like our personal computers and tablets and smartphones and even our smoke detectors and thermostats! (See Home | Nest)

Most people have not yet wrapped their minds around the fact that cars are now going to evolve and improve much more rapidly then they have in the past, and that cars less than a year old will not necessarily get some of the latest features. Even some Tesla owners have not grasped that yet, and get upset when new hardware comes out that makes their "new" (almost) car less valuable. Even some of the car guys at Consumer Reports get a little confused about the nuances of how Tesla upgrades work.

Here's my prediction: All cars will get the new UI (at least the polish part) and 7.0 update. The underlying "iPad" hardware and display is still the same so why fork the code and abandon their most loyal users? It makes no sense.

As an engineer, I can promise you that it would take more engineering effort to provide bug fixes and any future updates on vastly different branches of code, than to just conditionally not invoke some functionality and keep everyone on the same codebase. This is assuming that Tesla will provide at least some updates to its "classic" cars. I mean they have to, no? Their charging infrastructure is improving, their battery charging algorithms are improving, their drivetrain algorithms are improving, all their internet enabled services are improving... they can't leave all these improvements out for 10s of thousands of cars out for arbitrary reasons. This whole discussion is moot imho. Everyone is getting updates for years to come. End of story.

2 or 3 years? Autopilot rolled out less than one year after I bought mine!

Did they state that your car would come with AP? I imagine not, so you still got the incredible car that you wanted. I've missed the boat on things in the past like this, but I would never complain because it devalues the choice I made originally. I understand how people feel bad that they won't get the AP functionality, but when you bought your car the functionality didn't even exist. It's hard to get upset over something that wasn't available over a year ago. I hope you still love your car - you're still light years ahead of other manufacturers. Consider yourself very well pampered.

This isn't to shame anyone. I get that it's unfortunate that it can't work with the new software, but hopefully you can either trade in if you must have it or just continue to love your current MS if you don't. :)

On a side note, I did see a parts list on this forum of what it would take to upgrade your car's hardware and wiring to work with AP. It was EXTENSIVE. Even the windshield had to come out. I was blown away.

I understand that technology moves forward and our iThings are outdated in 2-3 years. I also understand that the Model S is an iPad on wheels.

People upgrade their phones and pads every 2-3 years, not a big deal given the price point. I don't think you can extend that same parallel to a $100,000 car. While some here have the deep pockets necessary to trade the car every 2-3 years to have the latest and greatest, I'm certainly not in that boat. In this respect I hope that Tesla takes care of its earlier customers. For Tesla to sunset my software after only 2 years would be a big disappointment.

Here's to CR being wrong.

My guess is that in about 2 years they will come out with a new sensor suite that will enable autopilot v2 which will detect people in crosswalks and the like. Then we will all need to trade in and up (to keep up).

For Tesla to sunset my software after only 2 years would be a big disappointment.
I have high confidence that every Model S delivered will have at least 8 years of software updates. Is it because of some confidence or trust (blind or otherwise) in Tesla? No, it's because there is an 8 year warranty on the battery and drivetrain (for the 85s), and it would be monumentally foolish for Tesla to stop doing software updates prior to that warranty expiring.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that in about 2 years they will come out with a new sensor suite that will enable autopilot v2 which will detect people in crosswalks and the like. Then we will all need to trade in and up (to keep up).
Yah, I'm a bit suspicious this might be the case as well.

My prediction is that at some point, they will say that a car will receive software updates for (at least) X number of years. And as they did with the data "trial", for any car already produced, that the clock for X years starts today. This would also eliminate someone buying a car that within 6 months, software updates ceased. That said, implementation-wise, I figure we will see upgraded processors rolled out in advance of new software that requires it, so eventually when a cutoff happens, the more recently produced cars are not subject the first cutoff.

I know they will stop updating my car at some point, but I'm hoping they at least keep updating it has a fully functional Media player/phone integration and some sort of either App Framework or at least CarPlay/Android Auto support, so it can have features added easily later by third parties.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the "Annual Service" -- for $600/year (or $1,900/4 years if prepaid) -- was supposed to include "necessary hardware upgrades."

While I would not expect my annual service to cover an upgrade for new features I never had in the first place (like parking sensors or auto-pilot), I would expect it to cover a faster main processor if it were required to be able to update and run the core operating system of the car. Similarly, when 4G/LTE chips become available for the data connection, I would expect that to be upgraded as well, since at some point the speed of the data connection will need to be improved in order to maintain reasonable functionality.

$600 annual check will include HW upgrade and fix if needed? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the "Annual Service" -- for $600/year (or $1,900/4 years if prepaid) -- was supposed to include "necessary hardware upgrades."

While I would not expect my annual service to cover an upgrade for new features I never had in the first place (like parking sensors or auto-pilot), I would expect it to cover a faster main processor if it were required to be able to update and run the core operating system of the car. Similarly, when 4G/LTE chips become available for the data connection, I would expect that to be upgraded as well, since at some point the speed of the data connection will need to be improved in order to maintain reasonable functionality.

$600 annual check will include HW upgrade and fix if needed? | Forums | Tesla Motors

I have a feeling you will be disappointed if that time ever comes. LTE maybe but there is no way they are going to swap out the center console (where the processor is) for free or as part of annual service.

I have a feeling you will be disappointed if that time ever comes. LTE maybe but there is no way they are going to swap out the center console (where the processor is) for free or as part of annual service.

I recognize that tech products are going to have a lifecycle; I wouldn't expect my iPhone 3 to run iOS 8. However, the product lifecycle on a car should be much longer than on a phone, and at the very least it should be upgradeable to be able to extend that lifecycle. If, now or even two or three years from now, my car stops being eligible for software updates because the hardware cannot handle them (and Tesla doesn't have a reasonable pathway to upgrade the processor), I'll be very unhappy about it. Having said that, I'd be really surprised if we hit that point anytime soon.