Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports Talking Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is not big on passenger comfort. My mother in law was bitterly complaining about MS’ back seat during our 7 hour trip from LA to SF. “You paid how much for this $%#@ car?”

You should never put a grown adult in the back of the Model S or X, unless they are exceptionally tiny. You should caravan a second vehicle if you have that many normal sized adults and are stuck using Teslas, with possible exception of the Model 3.

Model 3 is a compact sedan.

If you want to fit NBA players in the 2nd row get a Model X.
I disagree. I did extensive seat testing of Model X, and of the few tests I and others have done of Model 3, Model 3 is far superior in room for the middle and back rows of X vs. back row of 3. Roadster, Model S, & Model X are made for small (narrow and short in all dimensions) frame people. Model 3, trying to be for the masses, has attempted to correct for that, and in my opinion, they've done a reasonable job doing so.

However, I'm speaking of average and normal to big framed people, not freaks of nature like sports geeks, so they may have some exacting specs that aren't compliant with the population at large.

Model X are made for small (narrow and short in all dimensions) frame people.

Small frame people like Marc "El Tanque" Gasol?

At 7'1" 270 lbs.

Rich people aren't any smaller than "mass market people". If anything they are bigger.

Svelte Hollywood celebrities and trophy wives are the exception not the rule. Compensated at the other end by Sports celebrities.

15033954920828.jpg

BTW I weigh almost as much as Marc Gasol despite being over a foot shorter. And I fit just fine in the third row. Two of me can fit there. I wouldn't enjoy cross country trips back there because of lack of visibility, can't see the road ahead which induces road sickness for many people. But fine for local trips.

You should never put a grown adult in the back of the Model S or X, unless they are exceptionally tiny. You should caravan a second vehicle if you have that many normal sized adults and are stuck using Teslas, with possible exception of the Model 3.

I disagree. I did extensive seat testing of Model X, and of the few tests I and others have done of Model 3, Model 3 is far superior in room for the middle and back rows of X vs. back row of 3. Roadster, Model S, & Model X are made for small (narrow and short in all dimensions) frame people. Model 3, trying to be for the masses, has attempted to correct for that, and in my opinion, they've done a reasonable job doing so.

However, I'm speaking of average and normal to big framed people, not freaks of nature like sports geeks, so they may have some exacting specs that aren't compliant with the population at large.

Model S price wise compares with Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S class. Thos cars have phenomenal 2nd row seating and are used as limousines in many western countries.

It’s crazy that if you buy Tesla $100K sedan and take a long trip that you would need to caravan another car rather than use the rear seat.

Model S price wise compares with Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S class. Thos cars have phenomenal 2nd row seating and are used as limousines in many western countries.

It’s crazy that if you buy Tesla $100K sedan and take a long trip that you would need to caravan another car rather than use the rear seat.
It also compares pricewise (and is more similar to) an Audi A7, BMW 6 series Gran Coupe, Mercedes CLS and some of those have even less comfortable rear seats.

I don't think you understand what a compact sedan is.

Here's a hint.

2011-Chevrolet-Sail-Compact-Sedan-4.jpg

But you, however, clearly do not understand what a compact sedan is.

Your example is a Chevy Sail, which has an overall length of just over 169” and a wheelbase of 98.4”. This is a class size smaller than an actual compact sedan like a 2010 Honda Civic, which is 177” long with wheelbase of 106”.

Compact sedans generally will not seat adults comfortably in the rear bench, especially if they are tall. Ingress/Egress is also an issue. Someone 1.8m tall can get into the 2nd row of an Accord or CR-V relatively easily. It’s noticeably harder for that same person to get into to 2nd row of a Civic.

Small frame people like Marc "El Tanque" Gasol?

At 7'1" 270 lbs.

Rich people aren't any smaller than "mass market people". If anything they are bigger.

Svelte Hollywood celebrities and trophy wives are the exception not the rule. Compensated at the other end by Sports celebrities.

15033954920828.jpg

BTW I weigh almost as much as Marc Gasol despite being over a foot shorter. And I fit just fine in the third row. Two of me can fit there. I wouldn't enjoy cross country trips back there because of lack of visibility, can't see the road ahead which induces road sickness for many people. But fine for local trips.
I forgot to put in the text "except for the front row of the Model X". I have tested the front seat of the Model X, and found it to be satisfactory for medium to large sized people, and haven't done exceptionally large size people testing in the front of Model X. I already didn't fit in middle or rear rows of Model X, and I'm not super large. Model S is tight even in the front. Model X is barely better, but just that amount better necessary to make it not "tight" like the Model S; just right. I think that ultimately was the plan in the X. I really appreciated a lot of the improvements the X made over the S, and before the 3 came out, I'd recommend the X to anyone looking at Tesla with enough $ and who did enough testing. The 3 improved over both of those even more.

To resolve this, I insist anyone who considers geting one first test passenger fitment for their entire intended occupants in their intended seats first. Doing so solves many queries into this issue handily. I warn them to actually take it for a test drive in the intended occupant occupation; many versions of the X have adjustable seats that require specific auto-adjust settings before it will let you drive, and that auto-adjust requirement is what makes the space insufficient in most cases.

We all have our own unique circumstances ......

In my situation, no-one will ever ride in the back seat for a long period of time. I see many instances where we take a couplet to eat, or to an event (theater, game, meeting) but I cannot imagine ever driving across the country with or without a back seat passenger. We own two homes, 420 miles apart. We can comfortably drive from one to the other with one midway charging/eating/restroom stop at a supercharger. Rarely if ever, would someone accompany us even on that trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3