Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S P85D breaks—before testing begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S P85D testing begins

A new car shouldn't have problems when you’ve owned it for less than a month. Yet Consumer Reports' brand-new $127,000 Tesla Model S P85 D, with the fancy retractable door handles refused to let us in, effectively rendering the car undriveable.

The good news: Getting our Tesla fixed could hardly have been more convenient. We called our local Tesla service center to have the car picked up and hauled 60 miles away to the service center for repair. But instead, the company sent a local technician to our Auto Test Center the next morning. Tesla maintains a fleet of repair vans with technicians to provide on-site service for minor problems. Such house calls are part of the Tesla ownership experience, available to all customers.
Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S P85D Breaks Before Testing Begins - Consumer Reports

Last edited:
dsm363 - I am very sorry I simply copy title of CR article, and put it as thread title. I am not sure how to change thread title.

edit
I thought I did change thread title but only managed to change title of my first post to:
Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S P85D testing begins
how to change thread title?

Last edited:
Anyone else confused by this portion of the article, 'We were able to move the car a short distance, thanks to the smartphone app that allows us to unlock the car and authorize two minutes of keyless driving, requiring a spry staffer to crawl behind the steering wheel from the passenger seat.'?

The app only allows for two minutes of keyless driving? It's been a while since I last drove without a key, but I don't remember it having a limit to how long you could drive it that way. Also, I don't believe they got the center console insert, so the staffer didn't have to be quite as spry as they would've had to be if there was a center console there. There's a benefit of no center console that Tesla probably won't be highlighting anytime soon (in case you can't get the driver's door open, with the lack of a center console, it's much easier to get to the driver's seat than any of our competitors :tongue:)

Anyone else confused by this portion of the article, 'We were able to move the car a short distance, thanks to the smartphone app that allows us to unlock the car and authorize two minutes of keyless driving, requiring a spry staffer to crawl behind the steering wheel from the passenger seat.'?

The app only allows for two minutes of keyless driving? It's been a while since I last drove without a key, but I don't remember it having a limit to how long you could drive it that way. Also, I don't believe they got the center console insert, so the staffer didn't have to be quite as spry as they would've had to be if there was a center console there. There's a benefit of no center console that Tesla probably won't be highlighting anytime soon (in case you can't get the driver's door open, with the lack of a center console, it's much easier to get to the driver's seat than any of our competitors :tongue:)

Keyless works indefinitely, I've used it for fairly long trips.

This won't happen on a model 3.

The handles won't be power retractable, too much cost, complexity and weight.

There's a much simpler way of accomplishing aerodynamic efficiency of having flush handles.

Keep them flush, similar to how they look today. But to operate, push in swings the chrome flap down (hinged on the lower edge) curling it around 180 degrees into the door, fingers enter the carefully contour-matched cavity (avoid pinching) and grasp the now folded handle around its hinge, and pull the door open

Something like this:
handle.png

I'm sure other surface mount handles on other cars come to mind. Some on door edges. Lots of sports cars have something like this, no need to disruptively innovate this part!

Now, enough of the uber sedans Tesla.... we get it.

What we need is the model 3 out there! I want one. Simplify simplify and get 'er done.
Any more design guidance needed, just ask this forum!

Agree that the description of the problems, symptoms and remedy sound weird.

In point of fact the Model S does not have electrically retractable door handles - it has electrically extendable door handles. A motor pushes the door handles out from the car, but when they retract they're pulled in by a simple spring (which is why you can't ever injur yourself if you have your hand inside the handle when it retracts).

This won't happen on a model 3.

The handles won't be power retractable, too much cost, complexity and weight.

There's a much simpler way of accomplishing aerodynamic efficiency of having flush handles.

Keep them flush, similar to how they look today. But to operate, push in swings the chrome flap down (hinged on the lower edge) curling it around 180 degrees into the door, fingers enter the carefully contour-matched cavity (avoid pinching) and grasp the now folded handle around its hinge, and pull the door open

Something like this:
View attachment 80974

I'm sure other surface mount handles on other cars come to mind. Some on door edges. Lots of sports cars have something like this, no need to disruptively innovate this part!

Now, enough of the uber sedans Tesla.... we get it.

What we need is the model 3 out there! I want one. Simplify simplify and get 'er done.
Any more design guidance needed, just ask this forum!
I believe the Nissan GT-R has these type of door handles.
It would definitely make more sense to use these for a mass produced vehicle.

I believe the Nissan GT-R has these type of door handles.
It would definitely make more sense to use these for a mass produced vehicle.
No, the GT-R has pop-out handles that pivot in the middle. You press one edge and the opposite edge pops out, which you then pull on.
Grandfather opening Nissan GT-R door handle - YouTube

Anyway, scottm's idea is interesting. It seems like it might be something that looks good on paper but feels wrong once implemented. Want to anger one of those owners? Jam a little something in that hole and either watch the handle stick open, or worse get it behind the handle so it can no longer swing inward.

It's definitely a lower-cost option that achieves the same goal, I just don't know how practical it is.