Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports Tests East Coast Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one annoyance (fairly minor) with the story -
He says"
The problem is that Supercharger is 192 miles from my house. A full charge in our Tesla Model S lately has been showing about 232 miles

I was waiting for the next line to read - "so i set it to range charge before I took the trip", and instead he drives out of his way to Darien to top up 30 miles of range. *rolls eyes*

Tempus

Maybe CR instituted an in-house policy not to use Range charging? Or maybe Tesla just needs to make it clear that a Range charge should be used whenever there is any hint of concern about range. Too many folks are interpreting "avoid frequent use of Range charging" as "avoid Range charging at all costs".

The other thing is CR's inability to find a place to mount their toll transponder. It seems like a small thing, but I can envision some people on the fence about Model S saying "deal breaker", when it's not even true.

"now the only practical inconvenience is that we had to pause a couple times on our trip, as we would anyhow for meals and a pit stop."

I'm glad he threw this in at the end, it often seems that people forget how often they actually have to stop anyways for gas, food, etc. in their ICE cars. It really isn't a reasonable objection.

Yeah, that sentence about "now the only practical inconvenience is that we had to pause a couple times on our trip, as we would anyhow for meals and a pit stop." needed some editing, since it wasn't a practical inconvenience at all - it was THE SAME as an ICE car. Sometimes it takes people a while to see the obvious even when it is right in front of their face.

The other thing is CR's inability to find a place to mount their toll transponder. It seems like a small thing, but I can envision some people on the fence about Model S saying "deal breaker", when it's not even true.

I went to the EzePass Service Center (the one I went to is on the Mass Pike in Natick), they gave me a license plate mounted version, I installed it on the front plate (required in MA anyway), haven't had an issue since...

Terminology nitpick:
A full charge in our Tesla Model S lately has been showing about 232 miles.
If they're getting 232, it's pretty likely they are on 4.5 which means it's called "Daily" charge. If they had said "Daily" charge instead of "Full" charge then the reader immediately thinks, "What are the other options?" To address that they would have to say "Trip" charge is the alternative. Then the astute reader would ask, "Why the f are you using Daily charge instead of Trip charge when making a long-distance trip?" One of the reasons I prefer the new terminology.

Screen shot 2013-08-12 at 9.57.39 AM.png

Consumer Reports shows that they have not selected max range in the article. Then they complain that the range is only 232 miles? Did no one at Consumer Reports read the manual? Did no one wonder what "max range" means?

Somehow I didn't notice the picture at first. Not even that UI says "Full", yet they didn't use the word "Standard" in their article.

Is it really that difficult for journalists to actually use the terminology displayed in the UI that they are looking at?

Yeah actually learning how the car works and how to drive it properly seems to be difficult for journalists. I expected more from consumer reports. I emailed the following letter to the editor to consumer reports.

"I am writing to you regarding your recent article published 7/31/13 titled "Road trip proves (again) that the Tesla Modesl S is unlike other electric cars."

As a consumer reports subscriber and Model S owner I wanted to correct an issue with the article and give some advice on driving a Model S. An 85KWH Model S, which is the one I believe you have has a range of 260-300 miles on a 'full' or range charge. I believe the writer only did a 'standard' charge meant for daily use (not long trips), based on the screenshot in the article. He would have had more mileage range if he changed his charging before the trip to a 'range' charge and would have arrived at his destination with plenty of extra mileage.

I hope this is helpful and you will use this information for future road trips and that you are enjoying your Model S as much as I am."

Perhaps the CR writer did not know about the different charging settings? After the 4.5 firmware update, it could be a little more confusing to figure out, especially for a non-owner.

It is also possible they were overly concerned about battery longevity. It seems like a lot of people on TMC are somewhat afraid to ever do a full range or trip charge before going on a road trip for fear of hurting the battery longevity.

I explained to Consumer Reports what was wrong with their article.

They sent a reply.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Consumer Reports®. I want to express how much we value your choice of our products and services to help you make informed purchasing decisions.

We appreciate your writing to us regarding our report on the Tesla Model S. Please be assured that our readers' feedback plays a strong role in the work that we do. Because of this I have taken the liberty of sharing your feedback with the appropriate members of our staff for their review and future consideration.

Consumer Reports is committed to making your experience positive and informative.

Sincerely,

Patrick Burns
Representative
Customer Relations Department"

But they apparent aren't making any changes to the article since that was August 14.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Consumer Reports®. I want to express how much we value your choice of our products and services to help you make informed purchasing decisions.

We appreciate your writing to us regarding our report on the Tesla Model S. Please be assured that our readers' feedback plays a strong role in the work that we do. Because of this I have taken the liberty of sharing your feedback with the appropriate members of our staff for their review and future consideration.

Consumer Reports is committed to making your experience positive and informative.

Sincerely,

Patrick Burns
Representative
Customer Relations Department"

But they apparent aren't making any changes to the article since that was August 14.

What a totally useless and generic letter. They probably use it for ANY mail they receive, just paste in either "dishwasher", "lawnmower" or "Tesla Model S". Note how the actual product in question is mentioned only once, so pasting is easier.