Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: "The electric car that shatters every myth"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In talking with Tesla's designers I was told Elon doesn't like it.

You just have to realize the Model S is a concept car come to life without all that practical stuff added later to mess it up..

One question Eric, can I have some clarification please. Do you mean that Elon does not like map pockets or that he does not like that fact that the design excluded map pockets?

I spotted three mentions of the Model S in CR's April 2013 Auto issue: on p. 13 is a report called "Latest from the track" where they have a photo of their model S and give a few sentences (very positive) about the car and say 'look for a full road-test report soon'. On p. 18 is an article called "Connect with your car: How to plug in your music, apps, and lifestyle": there's a half-page photo of the Model S dash and 17" touch screen, with caption. On p. 67 in the "Profiles" section is a standard blurb for the Model S that calls out a few key features and gives prices and trim lines.

My takeaway from reading the issue is that CR is treating Model S just like any other car. Which is a Very Big Deal, in my eyes.

BTW, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV was saddled with one of the lowest road-test scores they handed out last year.

- - - Updated - - -

On the magazine rack I noted the the Consumer Reports car buying issue have two sections that mentions the Model S with pictures.

Anyone have a copy they can scan?

Your PM mailbox is full, Eric. Send me a message with your email address and I'll send you the scans.

Last edited:
My takeaway from reading the issue is that CR is treating Model S just like any other car. Which is a Very Big Deal, in my eyes.

Can you explain what you mean by this? I wouldn't expect them to treat it differently, as I always think of CR as fair and un-biased.

I suspect that you mean this is the first EV that can be treated like, and compared to, an ICE car.

I actually found that my driver's seat DOES have a small pocket right on the front edge, what I would call a map pocket. Too thin for anything useful other than insurance and registration though, but handy.

- - - Updated - - -

Storage and trash space. I can't believe I'm supposed to throw candy wrappers, receipts and other papers in the floor. There's not a trash can, a storage compartment or a folder to put that stuff in!!! I understand Elon doesn't like map pockets because they end up being full of trash, but the trash is not going to go away because you don't have a place to put it. You can't make a seven-seater sedan and assume no one will ever generate a piece of paper.
And no, my pants pockets don't work either, when I'm seating they are mostly inaccessible. So in the end I have a trash bag laying around, which is more unsightly than any storage compartment Elon could have imagined.

Storage and trash space. I can't believe I'm supposed to throw candy wrappers, receipts and other papers in the floor.

I have found that when I don't have a 'trash can' I don't leave trash in my car. I find it much better than always having a full 'trash can'.

Gone are the days of my red plastic pint glass / trash can in the door cup holder. And in are the days of a clutter free interior.

Can you explain what you mean by this? I wouldn't expect them to treat it differently, as I always think of CR as fair and un-biased.

I think they try to be pretty fair. But I think like many others, they didn't understand the plug-in market at first, and I think some of their past coverage was not very good.

Simple example: They don't rate 2-seater sports cars primarily on passenger or hauling capacity - they will note it is low, but still give the car good ratings if it does what it's designed for. They don't rate pickup trucks primarily on fuel economy - they will note it is low, but the truck still gets good ratings if it does what it designed for.

But many of their reviews of BEVs have stated that they don't recommend the car because the range is low. But just like Miata owners typically have another car in the family if they need to take 3 people to lunch, short-range BEV owners typically still have a gas car in the family if they need to drive cross-country. BEV owner satisfaction is extremely high; they just didn't understand how they are used.

They have done similar things with PHEVs, glossing over the differences between serial and parallel types, and not understanding how driving & charging patterns affect how often you are in electric mode.

Also, they have made the common error of assuming that it's all about cost savings - and compared a nice BEV to a very cheap gas car, left out some of the incentives and long-term savings (I sent them mail pointing some of that out; they thanked me but never made a correction), and then concluded the cheap gas car was a better deal even though the BEV was quicker, smoother, quieter, cleaner. They didn't even MENTION any of those benefits; a terrible disservice to readers that have not driven a BEV. I never see CR comparing a BMW 3-series to a Toyota Yaris and deciding the Yaris is better because it's cheaper.

These are all older examples; I assume they are getting better...I think the last thing I read from them was pretty good.

Last edited:
I think they try to be pretty fair. But I think like many others, they didn't understand the plug-in market at first, and I think some of their coverage has not been very good.

Thanks, Chad, that makes a lot of sense. I think CR can sometimes be a bit too "dumbed down". That's not meant to be an insult, just that they have to look at things from a certain perspective, to maintain a broad appeal, but as you pointed out, it can make some of their reviews less useful in specific segments.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to say about the Model S regardless, but I suspect your hunch is right, and that it will be the first BEV they treat like a viable option for a typical family (or typical CR reader).

I'm with Elon on this one. The only thing I have kept in map pockets are fuel receipts and a tyre/tire gauge, both of which are now redundant.

I also agree with Elon in wanting a clean clutter-free interior. Not to mention that maps or a place to store a GPS (and its mount) are also redundant with the built-in Google Maps feature.

I saw (as others have mentioned) that Consumer Reports is going to do a full review "soon". I'm excited to read it. :smile:

Consumer Reports' pilot episode of a new series in the format of a call in show on cars, two calls ask about the Model S and its pretty clear that they're very impressed with what they've seen thus far. Questions at ~24:40 and 31:20.

Wow, these guys certainly were gushing over the Model S.

Off topic: Friend of mine has a Lincoln Navigator with 150,000 miles. She's put in about $60,000 in gas.

Last edited by a moderator: