Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: "The electric car that shatters every myth"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To say the Tesla's MS is the best ever is better than having Morgan Freeman saying it.

An endorsement from CR is better than one from the Almighty? ;)

Very cool -- I'm amazed that has over 150k views, but it's a great video and explanation of what real professional photographer does. I also love his Panerai watch :love:

Best vehicle they've ever tested - does that include bicycles too?? :D Seriously tho, this is pretty big. Car magazine awards are one thing, but this is different (not necessarily more or less important). Should increase sales at least! If Tesla can keep all this good press up with its Gen3 mainstream model, then it's all over for the old-school gasoline cars. Who wouldn't buy a Tesla when it's the best car available and is (hopefully) free to drive? :)

The Consumer Reports title cannot be underestimated. They are not car guys. They are unbiased product testers. To say the Tesla's MS is the best ever is better than having Morgan Freeman saying it.

@vfx: I see it now. Wonder why it didn't jump out at me before?

At thumbnail size it's ok.

Arnold, check this.

That's a great demonstration of the lighting process. And it's a simple shoot, 'only' nine lights... :wink::biggrin:

Thanks for the cover shot stevezzzz. The CR report will be a great read.

- - - Updated - - -

The Consumer Reports title cannot be underestimated. They are not car guys. They are unbiased product testers. To say the Tesla's MS is the best ever is better than having Morgan Freeman saying it.
+1 :biggrin:

Yes, the long term testing of Consumer Reports and Edmunds are key to legitimizing the Tesla brand. That teaser is huge.

In the terms that Consumer Reports has always rated cars, it shouldn't be that surprising. I've feared that some of the bugs and other issues that have been experienced would cause problems with their review, but in general terms their primary focus has been on engineering.

And there should be no doubt that the Model S is the best engineered car in the world. It's big, fast, agile, efficient and extremely cheap to operate. There simply isn't another car on the planet with that combination of attributes. It's actually impossible to achieve using ICE, while EV's built by the traditional automakers look intentionally crippled in comparison.

Unfortunately, Consumers Union, the parent company of Consumer Reports, doesn't allow their positive reviews to be used by manufacturers in their advertising. They've even gone to court to sue those that have:
ADVERTISING - Regina Still Restrained On Consumer Reports - NYTimes.com

In the past few years, CR has created short videos which feature their top choices in products, usually in one category, and distribute these to TV stations for broadcast. They are, I believe rightly, treated as news stories and get much wider distribution than just their mag, which itself has a very large and loyal subscriber base. One reason is that they do not take any advertising and buy all the products - including cars - they test, unlike almost any other entity - like Motor Trend. Subscribers often will go to CR to see what lawn mower, gas grill, even ice cream to buy - just to name three items featured in the current June 2013 issue. I have been a subscriber for over 40 years, and CR has heavily influenced many of my family's purchases. Up to now, the highest rated car was the Lexus LS460L, when it came out in 2007, getting 99 points. Interestingly, the Tesla Model S will be one of the first American made cars to get their highest rating.

I just downloaded the iPad June issue on May 8. In both portrait and landscape modes they have removed "...best vehicle we've ever tested:". They added the the word "new".

I just went to my iPad and CR offered me an update to the June issue (which is where I got the screen shot I posted yesterday). I declined. :wink:

If only it were a paper copy, I'd have myself a collector's item...

I just downloaded the iPad June issue on May 8. In both portrait and landscape modes they have removed "...best vehicle we've ever tested:". They added the the word "new".

It now says:

ROAD TEST
The new Tesla Model S
electric car

That would be hilarious if the "Headline" was just the default template for that type of headline in their pagination system. On the systems my company sets up we might have 40 headline styles like that with sample headlines to show how they relate to their stylebook. Occasionally (like a few times a year) one of our newspapers or magazines ends up publishing the sample headline in their print edition by accident.

There are processes and procedures that are supposed to keep in from happening, but folks get sloppy sometimes. A sample cover like they sent out might have a slightly lower level of editorial oversight, making it even more likely for a mistake to happen. Still though, the Model S *SHOULD* be the best car they've ever tested, at least in engineering terms :)

That would be hilarious if the "Headline" was just the default template for that type of headline in their pagination system. On the systems my company sets up we might have 40 headline styles like that with sample headlines to show how they relate to their stylebook. Occasionally (like a few times a year) one of our newspapers or magazines ends up publishing the sample headline in their print edition by accident.

There are processes and procedures that are supposed to keep in from happening, but folks get sloppy sometimes. A sample cover like they sent out might have a slightly lower level of editorial oversight, making it even more likely for a mistake to happen. Still though, the Model S *SHOULD* be the best car they've ever tested, at least in engineering terms :)

No Lorem Ipsum?

It's not a cover I posted yesterday, but a page from the interior of the iPad version.

And it's out! 2013 Tesla Model S

99/100...this oughta be a good read :)

Edit: after reading, I think it's far, but there are some usual CR-esque whiney complaints and "well, duh" comments like "some features, such as Internet surfing, can be very distracting while driving." No ****.

Their reported range seems rather low. More like what I'd expect from a 60. I get the feeling from all of their videos hustling it around the track that they didn't really try...

Can't really complain, they gave it their top score of 99.

Last edited:
The 225 mile range would put them at about 362 Wh/mile average (based on a 308 Wh/mile base for the EPA 265 mile range). That seems reasonable given factors like elevation change, weather, average freeway speed, etc... I average 371 in CA, which is right in line with the averages reported in tracking thread.