Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: "The electric car that shatters every myth"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this article where they got the 180-mile range from?

To its credit, the Model S delivered 176 miles from a full charge in cold weather--considerably more than any other EV on the planet. While it was in line with what the car predicted, it proved well short of the rated 240 miles the car promised when I started, let alone the 265 estimated by the EPA or the 300 touted by Tesla. So even for the impressive Model S, it turns out that range anxiety is not completely eliminated.

Tesla-Model-S-176-miles-traveled-screen.jpg

67 kWh = "full charge"? I was surprised no one mentioned it in the comments.

67 kWh = "full charge"? I was surprised no one mentioned it in the comments.

They only used Standard charging. Like everyone who actually reads the manual or listens to their DS, they're afraid to use Range charging.

My biggest nit with the review: they give Controls and Display only a Fair rating. My second biggest nit: they never even mention the availability of the Performance model.

Because it's a new model with no repair history or reliability data, they withhold their Recommended rating. I can't fault them for that, they're just being consistent. Somewhat goofily, they mention buying an Audi and a Prius, instead.

I still have some range anxiety here in rural Texas.....

I'm anxiously awaiting more charging infrastructure here in Texas. I am glad to see that Texas A&M University has installed Blink chargers, but I'm hoping to hear that Tesla will be installing one of their Superchargers somewhere along I-45 between Houston and Dallas. One would think that some of our large travel plazas would be installing chargers and CNG pumps, but they seem to be slow to adopt new technologies and the investments required.

I could tell in the past few issues of Consumer Reports that their rating was going to be high, based on their comments on the responsiveness of the 17" screen and some other preliminary reports they had on the Model S. It seems the Model S is racking up all sorts of awards!

No, they bought an 85. And their range estimates line up right with mine. The 180 mile range is how much I found I can drive in cold weather before I have to start worrying about where to find a charge. In warm weather, 225 lines right with my experience too.

I think CR nailed the report.

Wow! Thanks for sharing the video. They were obviously excited about the Model S!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Since I've been a regular subscriber to Consumer Reports, I got to do a review on the Model S about 3 weeks ago. I rated it excellent on most fronts. I don't think I gave below Very Good on any points. They will be using this data on future reviews to determine reliability, so if you want to have a say on the future of the Model S, you may want to subscribe to the magazine. I'm just sayin'.....

With my 60 kWh, if I keep it around 70 mph on the freeway and don't drive up any steep hills, I'm getting 180 miles with a range charge. In fact, I've often seen much better than that just by not accelerating too hard to get to 70 and not "gassing" it too frequently on the freeway. Around town, I'm getting a heck of a lot better than 180 and closer to 200 even with just a standard charge. Just driving casually, my Wh/mi is generally around 275. Again, with a 60. I didn't see a huge difference in Feb and March, although stats are a little better the past month with warmer weather.

No, they bought an 85. And their range estimates line up right with mine. The 180 mile range is how much I found I can drive in cold weather before I have to start worrying about where to find a charge. In warm weather, 225 lines right with my experience too.

I think CR nailed the report.

With my 60 kWh, if I keep it around 70 mph on the freeway and don't drive up any steep hills, I'm getting 180 miles with a range charge. In fact, I've often seen much better than that just by not accelerating too hard to get to 70 and not "gassing" it too frequently on the freeway. Around town, I'm getting a heck of a lot better than 180 and closer to 200 even with just a standard charge. Just driving casually, my Wh/mi is generally around 275. Again, with a 60. I didn't see a huge difference in Feb and March, although stats are a little better the past month with warmer weather.

If weather really does make that much of a difference (which it "shouldn't") I am glad to be in California...

I'm in California. Just in NorCal, not SoCal :).

But yes, weather makes a difference. I think it takes more power to heat the pack than cool the pack and cruising at 75 mph in 40 degree weather with all that cold air whipping under the car, the pack has to be heated.

Driving style matters more though. Hard acceleration burns power (and tires). Cruising at 75 mph on your own burns a lot more power than cruising at 65 mph or cruising at 75 mph in reasonably heavy traffic. Being gentle with acceleration and/or cruising at 10 mph lower probably makes up for any weather issues.

In my experience, the ~180-225 mile range is the "worry-free", drive it like you would a normal car range on an 85KW battery with a standard charge. Which is exactly what CR found.