Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports withdraws recommendation for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is far from damning... It really is just inflammatory news writing... Apparently no one cares that, even with their CR downgrade, they are still higher than Mercedes-Benz on the reliability scale. People who want a Tesla are still going to buy a Tesla

Agreed, would anyone buy or sell a ModelS based on a CR report? no...in fact anyone buying a 100k car will laugh at crap like CR. Sure its a nice bonus if they think something is nice (free publicity) and yeah if they frown on something it takes a black-eye in the press, but more free publicity. Now if CR craps all over the Model3 then I might be more concerned but CR is laughable wrt the ModelS.

Agreed, would anyone buy or sell a ModelS based on a CR report? no...in fact anyone buying a 100k car will laugh at crap like CR. Sure its a nice bonus if they think something is nice (free publicity) and yeah if they frown on something it takes a black-eye in the press, but more free publicity. Now if CR craps all over the Model3 then I might be more concerned but CR is laughable wrt the ModelS.

Consumer Reports was a factor in my purchase.

Really?! Wow...So:
1) What other cars were you considering...
Prius Plug-in, Leaf, Focus Energi. The Toyota and Ford dealers really did not want to sell those cars though. Really, really didn't. And Leaf wouldn't get me where work takes me.
...that CR pushed you over the edge to Tesla?
Wrong assumption. CR was an early filter in my considerations. Not a final teetering edge. I bought three other cars for family before mine; only considered CR 'Recommended' cars. Life's too short.
2) What other cars do you think are in the same class (Luxury EV?)
I wouldn't have the faintest idea. Never was in the market for a Luxury Anything. In absorbing the data in the Ratings, kept seeing that Model S.
3) So without the CR report you would have never bought your Model S? Really?

Without CR I would not have even been aware that Tesla was there, making my car.

Last edited:
Really?! Wow...So:
1) What other cars were you considering that CR pushed you over the edge to Tesla?

Sorry, I had no idea your breed of white elk existed out there....my bad.

Wow very unnecessary snippyness.

Anyway to answer your questions:

1) What other cars were you considering that CR pushed you over the edge to Tesla?

None - was happy with my Prius.

None

Not what I said, it was a factor. I new about Tesla but CR really got me to look at it closer.

Really?! Wow...So:

Sorry, I had no idea your breed of white elk existed out there....my bad.
Lots of white elk around here. Only a fool would completely discount the massive data that CR collects. Of course, if we only used CR, we'd all be driving boring Lexus's...

The Model S is more reliable than a Mercedes S Class, the car with which the Model S is often compared. I'm okay with that! :)

I wasn't expecting Camry-esque reliability from a 12 year-old company that has been producing cars for only 7 years and which has been manufacturing its first and only sedan for 3 years. My goodness.

Many of us said the Model S is the worst car that Tesla will ever make. Now some are mad that it's less reliable than a boring Camry.

Is anyone else concerned by Elons Twitter comment about how the early cars are the ones with all the issues? My concern is that they know our classic cars are problematic and yet while I'm really glad the newer ones aren't having as many issues what about us that don't have the $$ to shell out for a new tesla.

No problems

The first Consumer Reports recommendation got my attention and led me to purchase a 2013 60Kw (VIN 14600). I was in the market at the time but I wouldn't have considered an electric but for that recommendation. I do recall that I had the screen go dead once and got it back with the push of a couple buttons per technician instructions. On the first annual inspection they caulked above the rear door to preempt a predicted creak. Those are the only items that could possibly be counted against that car. I loved it so much I convinced my wife to go for the 85D this past Spring. Then, partly because of the Consumer Reports recommendation, I traded the 60Kw back to Tesla this past June for a new P85D (VIN 94439) for myself. Quiet, magnetic acceleration from a simple, elegant design. Driving any internal combustion engine vehicle now feels to me like an antique. I'm really posting primarily to register that we've not had any problems with our Model S's.

This is incredibly condescending and also seems quite oblivious to the big picture: CR does matter for a large segment of the buying public, and so this will have an impact.

It's not simply the lowered rating on reliability which is a result of the increased data being collected on the fleet, it's also the optics of withdrawing a recommendation.

Some have commented that this could be a wake-up call for Tesla. I hope so.

Musk's spin-control tweet that things are better now than they used to be is not exactly a ringing endorsement for the CPO market, if it can even be taken at face value. I can't imagine a CEO saying much other than this, which is why I take it with a huge hunk of halite.

Is anyone else concerned by Elons Twitter comment about how the early cars are the ones with all the issues? My concern is that they know our classic cars are problematic and yet while I'm really glad the newer ones aren't having as many issues what about us that don't have the $$ to shell out for a new tesla.

I tweeted elon back with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/russwong/status/657203610569216000

My car isn't an early car either. It's a 2014 and I've had my share of little issues. I see numerous people debate about the ESA and if we had all the confidence in our cars we wouldn't be debating it. But the fact that people want it, but don't want to spend so much money is concerning.

I'm hoping Tesla does something different to help put our mind at rest....

All cars have issues, though. Go read through the Mercedes, Audi, or BMW forums about their issues. Certainly not trouble free, and arguably worse than Tesla. A friend had a Mercedes SL that was so bad Mercedes had to buy it back!
But BMW and Mercedes are NOT known for particularly good reliability. They're usually below average. Reliability of their models has tended all over the map, w/lots of below average, esp. Mercedes.

Audi hasn't been great in this dept for ages, but recently did do surprisingly in CR reliability ratings. BMW has actually done better than in the past w/just a tiny bit below average. I'm glad that they put the chart Highlights From Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey - Consumer Reports not behind a paywall.

Consumer Reports: Infotainment System Woes Mark 2014 Reliability Survey - The Truth About Cars had a 2014 chart.

Last edited:
"Below average" reliability for an expensive car doesn't matter to fat cats (I'll just use the Rolls instead...), but it's going to keep Tesla from breaking into the mainstream market. That is the big picture.

One-percenters may not care all that much about Consumer Reports ratings on cars, but the average consumer does to a much greater degree, and a "yanked" rating is egg on the face. Period. (The egg is marginalized right now because Tesla's not a mainstream auto brand, but they are trying to become one, and this hurts them in that pursuit.)

There will be a new reliability survey from CR available when the average consumer is considering purchase of a Model 3. The mix of Model S vehicles surveyed at that time will be heavily-weighted in favor of the more recent, higher volume, production which I understand exhibited less of the early issues? I expect Tesla will earn at least an "average" reliability rating at that time.

I do wonder if this Model S survey will have any impact on how CR reviews the Model X? I would think not, since it's a different vehicle.

Personally, I'm buying a Model X that will likely be in the first thousand or so produced after reservation cancellations are taken into consideration. Therefore, I fully expect it will spend more days at Tesla Factory Service center for one reason or another than a vehicle produced a number of months later on. I know that I'll receive a Tesla loaner, not an ICE rental. The expected added minor inconvenience is totally worth it to me to enjoy this ground-breaking vehicle sooner rather than later. I also know much (most?) of the drive train design/parts are shared with Model S, which gives me added confidence, as does the 8 year infinite miles warranty on same and the battery.

The only item I think Tesla should also warranty for 8 years is the Falcon Wing Doors.

But BMW and Mercedes are NOT known for particularly good reliability. They're usually below average. Reliability of their models has tended all over the map, w/lots of below average, esp. Mercedes.

Audi hasn't been great in this dept for ages, but recently did do surprisingly in CR reliability ratings. BMW has actually done better than in the past w/just a tiny bit below average. I'm glad that they put the chart Highlights From Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey - Consumer Reports not behind a paywall.

Consumer Reports: Infotainment System Woes Mark 2014 Reliability Survey - The Truth About Cars had a 2014 chart.

I was one of the first to buy a MS. My vin was 715. I never had an issue with that car. I am now on my second MS and have ordered a MX for my wife. As far as I can tell these cars are extremely reliable.