Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer reports YouTube interview on brakes & exclusive info from Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always believed that if Tesla can't improve the software so that all BLE-supported phones work 100%, they will offer an option to buy a fob. This video makes it seem like Musk is acknowledging that just the valet situation is enough to warrant that fob option, given that the key card is unintuitive for those unfamiliar with the locations of the NFC sensors.

Another highlight of the video is that the firmware update containing the emergency braking distance fix will be ready as early as this weekend. Of course given their typical pattern of a rolling release, not everyone is going to see that update appear this weekend.

very interesting video. i had not heard anything about them updating the glass for reduced cabin noise. also i think its great that elon is considering a key fob for the car. i myself think its fantastic i can use my phone for a key, however i understand that many people are not o excited by it. seems like a simple option to just offer something so easy, tried and true as a key fob so this issue will just go away. people who want a fob can use one and people like me who don't, won't. overall i agree with the sentiment of the video that their reviewing the car honestly and elon always aiming for perfection is a win win for us.

Isn't the goal with the Model 3 to make more of the controls that are currently accomplished on the touch screen also work with voice command? This would eliminate the issues people have who are not comfortable using the touchscreen while driving.

Isn't the goal with the Model 3 to make more of the controls that are currently accomplished on the touch screen also work with voice command? This would eliminate the issues people have who are not comfortable using the touchscreen while driving.
For non-English speakers this could turn out disastreous. For my mother-tongue it was a hell of a job to develop correct speech recognition, I dare not think about the consequences in road traffic ...

For non-English speakers this could turn out disastreous. For my mother-tongue it was a hell of a job to develop correct speech recognition, I dare not think about the consequences in road traffic ...

Would be cool if they supported multi language. Probably not high priority though. Localization often takes a back seat in the software industry.

For me, I'm good with the car as it is today. I welcome future usability improvements to the screen UI as well as voice controls, but I don't feel like I'm depending on these future changes to be safe with my car.

I don't get the key or fob issue but I don't have my 3 yet. I don't understand why you have to have a key or fob for using a valet. I also don't quite understand the need for a key to access storage as was stated in the video. If I use a valet I can put the 3 in valet mode and hand over the card. What is the problem other than an uninformed valet? A valet parks cars for hours and hours every day. I think they will figure it out after they see a few dozen 3s. It makes little sense to change the design of the car to accommodate the learning curve of a valet.

I don't think I want to give the valet a fob that also opens storage. Are they suggesting a fob for vehicle access and a different fob for storage access? It makes no sense. The card and Valet mode solves a problem, why go back?

I listened to EVTV and Jack Rickard goes on a hilarious rant about the enormous problems and expense with getting a model S fob replaced. Possible strong language alert.

See 19:30 minutes in.

The cards are supposed to be only $10. Jack thought the model 3 card was a brilliant solution. But Jack did complain about intermittent operation of the smart phone app. In the a followup video it turned out that the problem was resolved by not having multiple copies of the smart phone app trying to access the 3 at the same time. The 3 seems to lockout the smart phones in some cases if I understand it. Watching EVTV can be a little like watching "slow TV" but he sure gets into the nitty gritty technically. Good stuff you won't hear anywhere else.

Were I to have a 3 I might be able to make better sense out of the CR issue with the cards and valets but my bet is that in 12 months other car manufacturers will be copying Tesla. In 18ish months the model 3 will just drop you off and park itself and no more valet problems<grin>.

I am happy to say that this week seems to be a week where Tesla made substantial progress. The Boring company info was great and the SpaceX Shotwell interviews were great. Progress in a world that needs it.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I don't get the key or fob issue but I don't have my 3 yet. I don't understand why you have to have a key or fob for using a valet. I also don't quite understand the need for a key to access storage as was stated in the video. If I use a valet I can put the 3 in valet mode and hand over the card. What is the problem other than an uninformed valet? A valet parks cars for hours and hours every day. I think they will figure it out after they see a few dozen 3s. It makes little sense to change the design of the car to accommodate the learning curve of a valet.

I don't think I want to give the valet a fob that also opens storage. Are they suggesting a fob for vehicle access and a different fob for storage access? It makes no sense. The card and Valet mode solves a problem, why go back?

I listened to EVTV and Jack Rickard goes on a hilarious rant about the enormous problems and expense with getting a model S fob replaced. Possible strong language alert.

See 19:30 minutes in.

The cards are supposed to be only $10. Jack thought the model 3 card was a brilliant solution. But Jack did complain about intermittent operation of the smart phone app. In the a followup video it turned out that the problem was resolved by not having multiple copies of the smart phone app trying to access the 3 at the same time. The 3 seems to lockout the smart phones in some cases if I understand it. Watching EVTV can be a little like watching "slow TV" but he sure gets into the nitty gritty technically. Good stuff you won't hear anywhere else.

Were I to have a 3 I might be able to make better sense out of the CR issue with the cards and valets but my bet is that in 12 months other car manufacturers will be copying Tesla. In 18ish months the model 3 will just drop you off and park itself and no more valet problems<grin>.

I am happy to say that this week seems to be a week where Tesla made substantial progress. The Boring company info was great and the SpaceX Shotwell interviews were great. Progress in a world that needs it.

I totally agree, by now all the valets in California already know how to use the card, if they don't it takes 10 seconds to explain it. And if a new guy doesn't know how to use the card, Tesla prominently displays the instructions on the center screen. It's certainly better than my VW Jetta, which would not unlock if you accidentally locked the fob in the car!
PWiL9qR6TOqDM7XGQwGDJg.jpg