Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumers disdain for “Self Driving”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article applies to Tesla, Waymo, and everyone else in the self driving game.
9,000 people surveyed, with industry experts.
They are stating people don’t want self driving cars.
I read this article, and really think that the survey was conducted on specific people, that for a democratic they knew wouldn’t be fans of this technology.
Could be wrong, but even people I talk with that know very little about self driving cars, never dislike them.
This seems like another attempt by some industry, to thwart change.

COVID-19 Fails To Move Needle On Consumers’ Disdain For Self-Driving Vehicles — Forbes

imo this isn't unexpected. You survey people for some technology that currently simply doesn't work well-enough yet and has dangerous consequences when it doesn't work. I bet if you would've surveyed people in 2006 (a year before iphone release) whether they'd want a smartphone with a large touch-only screen and no keyboard, you'd get a similar result because widely known smartphone touchscreens at the time just didn't work that well (mostly resistive screens).
I think with self-driving cars it's just a thing people will get used to once they actually work reliably. Even critics will eventually adopt them due to the intrinsic cost advantage of not having to pay a driver in your car (that is the robotaxi scenario).

Not take off, landing or taxing.

I believe there is automated commercial aircraft landing in the U.S. and has been for a while. A book I recently read on the history of GPS* discussed extensively the “march of nines” necessary to achieve safe automated landing through the use of ground-based positional transmitters in conjunction with GPS.

*Pinpoint: How GPS is Changing Technology, Culture, and Our Minds

Last edited:
I believe there is automated commercial aircraft landing in the U.S. and has been for a while. A book I recently read on the history of GPS* discussed extensively the “march of nines” necessary to achieve safe automated landing through the use of ground-based positional transmitters in conjunction with GPS.

*Pinpoint: How GPS is Changing Technology, Culture, and Our Minds

Yes there is autoland on some of them but that pretty much never getting used. Pilots like to land a plane using by hand.

This article applies to Tesla, Waymo, and everyone else in the self driving game.
9,000 people surveyed, with industry experts.
They are stating people don’t want self driving cars.
I read this article, and really think that the survey was conducted on specific people, that for a democratic they knew wouldn’t be fans of this technology.
Could be wrong, but even people I talk with that know very little about self driving cars, never dislike them.
This seems like another attempt by some industry, to thwart change.

COVID-19 Fails To Move Needle On Consumers’ Disdain For Self-Driving Vehicles — Forbes
That's Forbes. It's not what it used to be.

The "contributing" writer is basing his description of "disdain" based upon nothing:
"The Self-Driving Index slipped to 34 in the third quarter of this year from an already dismal 35, the mark recorded in Q1, the last time the survey was fielded"​

My Ξ is fun to drive. I have no interest in my car being a robo-taxi for any price. If I was surveyed I would express disinterest in self-driving too. However, I am impressed by the code and if FSD was at the right price I would consider it for my next Tesla.

If you look at the number of posts about model 3 damage its
clear that at some point FSD will be required I am always shocked
how many folks in the US run red lights. Heck your car may just call
the police if you get out of hand. I am sure there will be expense DL for
those who want to drive themselves.
I do love to drive 100-120mph on the autobahn still.