Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumers disdain for “Self Driving”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing with Tesla service centers, you never know exactly when your car will be done. Also, there are instances where you car is kept at the service center while waiting for parts, it just sits there for weeks.

True. You never know how long your car may be in for repairs, but I think they are mostly exceptions for this car, and it’s still cheaper than all the costs associated with a second car.
If that works for you though.

Reactions: gavine
The one private car is used for when whole family is traveling or for a primary user. All other (mostly single rider) trips are by a much cheaper Tesla robotaxi or Uber/Lyft.
For most families the 2nd & 3rd car are much more expensive because of lower utilization yet still have high cost of depreciation & insurance.

Yes, there will be families that keep 2nd & 3rd cars but there will be a lot that can save thousands a year by not owning so many cars. In the past there were no options at all but in the near future there will be several.

That might work in a densely populated city but not for families with stuff to haul around. Taking junior’s football gear and dad’s baseball coaching stuff, and missy’s musical instruments is not a “uber” kinda thing. Especially when you NEED TO LEAVE NOW and you’re probably running late. If I have to wait 15 mins for an Uber, yeah that ain’t gonna work.

I like to drive, too. There are times, however, that FSD will be helpful. I also want to keep my mobility when I am too old to drive or if I become disabled. I think there will be a long transition as society becomes more accepting, pricing is more affordable, or government actually mandates autonomous vehicles because human drivers are too unpredictable.

Reactions: valaeyron
I like to drive, too. There are times, however, that FSD will be helpful. I also want to keep my mobility when I am too old to drive or if I become disabled. I think there will be a long transition as society becomes more accepting, pricing is more affordable, or government actually mandates autonomous vehicles because human drivers are too unpredictable.

+1 to this. So many seniors lose their independence due to age and inability to drive at the same level of skill as before, posing a greater safety hazard to others. I could see FSD mandated for people who can’t stop driving drunk either...so they don’t lose their jobs etc and make a bad situation worse. Or mandating it in heavy traffic congestion zones to smooth out traffic behavior...

But with the average car purchase price of ~ $35k (which we could argue is possibly more car than many should afford)...$8k+ is a very luxurious option/upgrade package. If it’s an “optional upgrade” it won’t be ubiquitous anytime soon. Cell phone penetration is almost there, and look how long THAT took...vs the price points we are talking about. If It is “mandated“ the volume of cars purchased will fall through the floor...an unacceptable outcome for the companies and their employees who will lose their jobs because people will buy fewer cars.

• Love
Reactions: EVortex and tander
Its always the other driver that goes through a red light. No insurance, car does
not start. Here if you drive 20kmh over the speed limit DL is gone and I mean gone
for 3 months. Red light the same. People like to think the laws apply to others,
I have many orange lights in my past. I was T-boned by a guy running a stop sign,
maybe a good driver but I was lucky to live.
What is the question?

about the only places I use EAP currently:
1) Freeway
2) bumper to bumper traffic. (which is rarely a thing for me with wfh and reduced traffic in general)

If the default AP was around when I bought my car that's likely what I'd have went with.

I still have 2 Grandparents, one that can't drive, another that barely does. Really hoping FSD gets here sooner rather than later, the implications for their ability to visit friends, make doctors appointments, and just stay independent longer are huge. For the one that can't drive it was a huge hit to his independence and health, not to mention it put an added weight on my parents and self to drive him around and keep him active. I keep telling my Grandpa who hasn't driven in 10? years if he sticks around long enough for FSD we'll get him his own car...although we need to work on making sure he can actually get in and out of it too:)

QED. Both people used a car. Therefore there were two fewer drivers and still, each person used a car on the road. No reduction in vehicular traffic.

Depends on your definition of traffic. That wouldn't reduce vehicle miles, in fact it would increase it. But if AVs can improve flow in busy areas, by avoiding stupid collisions, reducing parking-space hunting, and avoiding traffic waves, they could reduce congestion significantly.

To me the greatest potential value of AVs to reduce traffic is increasing shared commuting. Commuting periods are when there is the greatest traffic volume, so rideshare commuting is where you can have the great cost savings with the combination of shared vehicles and shared miles.

Reactions: duanra
How would it work if you have family members travel in different directions to where they need to go, My son travels 45 minutes east to work. My Gf travels 25 minutes south to work. One has to be at work at 8 am the other at 830 am. Then throw my dr appointment in there at 9 which is a 25 minute drive north of where I live. How would one car work even if I didn't have a Dr appt? How would the kids get to School and then have the car take everyone to work? That is a lot of miles every day The car would be traveling approx 5 hours a day driving people back and fourth to work and School.
You don't need self-driving, you need better logistics and scheduling...

How would it work if you have family members travel in different directions to where they need to go, My son travels 45 minutes east to work. My Gf travels 25 minutes south to work. One has to be at work at 8 am the other at 830 am. Then throw my dr appointment in there at 9 which is a 25 minute drive north of where I live. How would one car work even if I didn't have a Dr appt? How would the kids get to School and then have the car take everyone to work? That is a lot of miles every day The car would be traveling approx 5 hours a day driving people back and fourth to work and School.

Assuming AVs at reasonable cost, there will be a lot of available services offering cheap rideshare.
You take your car or a cab to the doctor's appointment.

Alternatively, you can spend a craptonne of money on multiple vehicles and the space to park them.