Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumers disdain for “Self Driving”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at the number of posts about model 3 damage its clear that at some point FSD will be required I am always shocked how many folks in the US run red lights. Heck your car may just call the police if you get out of hand. I am sure there will be expense DL for those who want to drive themselves. I do love to drive 100-120mph on the autobahn still.

If “shockage” at human behavior was the bar, mother nature would have dealt with it long ago...

People will like it when they realize how much money they could save by having 1 car per family instead of 2+.

Uh, how does this help a family get to more than one place at the same time?

How would it work if you have family members travel in different directions to where they need to go, My son travels 45 minutes east to work. My Gf travels 25 minutes south to work. One has to be at work at 8 am the other at 830 am. Then throw my dr appointment in there at 9 which is a 25 minute drive north of where I live. How would one car work even if I didn't have a Dr appt? How would the kids get to School and then have the car take everyone to work? That is a lot of miles every day The car would be traveling approx 5 hours a day driving people back and fourth to work and School.

Last edited:
How would it work if you have family members travel in different directions to where they need to go, My son travels 45 minutes east to work. My Gf travels 25 minutes south to work. One has to be at work at 8 am the other at 830 am. Then throw my dr appointment in there at 9 which is a 25 minute drive north of where I live how would one car work even if I didn't have a Dr appt
Of course, it's not going to work for every body. However, it will help to reduce the number of cars on the road....once it works !

5 1/2 years of driving my Model S. I have no desire for FSD. NONE....I love to drive, rarely use AP1.....but I don't have disdain for self driving. "Chaqu'un son gout"

However, there are many who may feel that when FSD is working properly, and there's a groundswell of adoption, the Nanny State government bureaucrats (especially in Canada) may just mandate its' use over human driving. They'll cite it as being much safer, and "for our own good". It will be compared to seat belts, child car seats etc......All of those opposed to it will be shamed.
A bit of a negative thought, but highly possible.;)

Once you can fall asleep, work, read...etc while your car drives you somewhere and once you're at your destination the car could go back home, pick up your kids and drives them to school, there will be a lot less disdain for fsd cause it will be fsd !

minor technicality but this reduces the number of human drivers operating their vehicle manually. The same car was still on the road for each trip.

yeah everyone I know loves being in bumper traffic. I'm surprised all these people who love driving so much aren't demanding manual gear shift. If you have a functioning FSD, you are still permitted to drive when you feel the urge.

For me, bumper to bumper traffic, is like the best arcade game (unless there is an impediment or 100% rush hour where one is left with no moves o_O), trying to bet on the fastest lane. If traffic truly is congested then TACC autopilot is sufficient.

Pretty sure nobody wanted an electric car before Tesla showed that they don't all have to be like Priuses. Once perfected, a self-driving car would be no different than a washing machine, dishwasher, or an automatic car wash. No one actually has to like it, but most will value the functionality it adds.

Well there were a lot of people who wanted the EV1 and couldn't keep them.

How would it work if you have family members travel in different directions to where they need to go, My son travels 45 minutes east to work. My Gf travels 25 minutes south to work. One has to be at work at 8 am the other at 830 am. Then throw my dr appointment in there at 9 which is a 25 minute drive north of where I live. How would one car work even if I didn't have a Dr appt? How would the kids get to School and then have the car take everyone to work? That is a lot of miles every day The car would be traveling approx 5 hours a day driving people back and fourth to work and School.

This would be a financial decision. You could save all the associated costs of a second car, if you manage the start times for work. Arrive earlier for example, to save a lot of money. If you aren’t willing to change anything you’re doing now to save money, then you need a second car.

Last edited:
5 1/2 years of driving my Model S. I have no desire for FSD. NONE....I love to drive, rarely use AP1.....but I don't have disdain for self driving. "Chaqu'un son gout"

However, there are many who may feel that when FSD is working properly, and there's a groundswell of adoption, the Nanny State government bureaucrats (especially in Canada) may just mandate its' use over human driving. They'll cite it as being much safer, and "for our own good". It will be compared to seat belts, child car seats etc......All of those opposed to it will be shamed.
A bit of a negative thought, but highly possible.;)

There is always challenges, and struggles with change for many. Change will occur anyway. It always does.
Most will adopt right away. Some will struggle. Some will refuse.
Same as it is now with anything.

At the end of the day, if it’s a mandate years down the road, we will get used to it like every other change.

imo this isn't unexpected. You survey people for some technology that currently simply doesn't work well-enough yet and has dangerous consequences when it doesn't work. I bet if you would've surveyed people in 2006 (a year before iphone release) whether they'd want a smartphone with a large touch-only screen and no keyboard, you'd get a similar result because widely known smartphone touchscreens at the time just didn't work that well (mostly resistive screens).
I think with self-driving cars it's just a thing people will get used to once they actually work reliably. Even critics will eventually adopt them due to the intrinsic cost advantage of not having to pay a driver in your car (that is the robotaxi scenario).

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to more great posts from you like this one!

Reactions: geekflyer
I absolutely love autopilot. Once I am on the freeway, it's on. For long distance driving, it's always on. It's way safer and allows me to not get popped by CHP for having a lead foot. And if I am tired, it's a god send.

Once FSD achieves a high level of reliability, it will be a must for most people. When I look at my normal driving habits (i.e. before Covid), there weren't that many opportunities for fun driving, so AP makes a lot of sense.

I didn’t read the article but I’m guessing the author used “disdain” instead of not interested in the current state of technology because he had a predetermined opinion. When it’s absolutely perfect I’ll be interested but I’m not now and like someone else said, TACC takes care of the worst aspect of bumper to bumper driving. But thanks to all the beta folks, they are helping to make it perfect someday.

Model Y tried to steer into a semi on our recent test drive while on AP on a freeway. Without human intervention, things would have gone south in a hurry. The state of the art is still really, really far away from good enough for widespread acceptance, and the number of people with cars that acftaully have even the rudimentary versions of self-driving tech like lane-keeping/traffic assist is also still vanishingly small beacuse fleet average age is in the 12 year range and growing fast.

It'll get there. But not until I'm an old fart, for most people.