Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contact list with multiple iPhones registered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting...waiting...mid June-July!

Anyway, my wife and I both intend to connect our iPhones to Bluetooth. We'll synch my contact list, and when we travel together we'll likely have my phone actively connected for making and receiving calls.

But...what if we choose her phone, or she get in the car alone and her phone is automatically connected. Is my contact list still save somewhere in Tesla's memory? Can she then use my list for voice or menu calling? Does Tesla get confused (for example, how often does it refresh the contact list)? Or when her phone is connected does Tesla decide to discard my contact list and download hers?

Just wondering how two different iPhones are treated by the Tesla system.

The car downloads the contact list when the phone connects via Bluetooth. If your wife's phone is connected, her contact list is what is available. Same, when your phone is connected, it's your contact list only. The list is not preserved or saved in the car.
As for which phone it uses when both are present, I don't know for sure, but I'd guess it's the one it "sees" first on Bluetooth.
However, it's easy to see which phone is connected, and just as easy to switch to the "other" phone.

And every time you select a new phone, the car downloads the new contact list? If we are driving and do that, any guess as to how long for, say, 200 contacts to download and be available on the touchscreen? If it's fast, I like that solution. Nice and clean.

So when we get in the car in the morning, or park and turn the car off then return, it re-downloads the contact list, even if it's the same phone that was last connected (since it's not saved)? Hope it's not a long delay...seems like I've read here that some people with a lot of contacts have to wait a long time for their list to be downloaded. If it restarts every time they get out, that doesn't seem good. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds...

And every time you select a new phone, the car downloads the new contact list? If we are driving and do that, any guess as to how long for, say, 200 contacts to download and be available on the touchscreen? If it's fast, I like that solution. Nice and clean.

So when we get in the car in the morning, or park and turn the car off then return, it re-downloads the contact list, even if it's the same phone that was last connected (since it's not saved)? Hope it's not a long delay...seems like I've read here that some people with a lot of contacts have to wait a long time for their list to be downloaded. If it restarts every time they get out, that doesn't seem good. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds...
Welcome! The Infotainment software from Tesla badly lags other areas of the vehicle. You should manage your expectations accordingly and hope, as do many of us, that Tesla will someday have an infotainment system that matches the quality of other aspects of the vehicle.

I have about 200 contacts and when I walk to my car, by the time I'm buckled in and ready to go, they're already loaded. It seems that when the car senses the key and extends the handles it already starts the Bluetooth connection. Haven't verified that theory, just going off my experiences.

Even if it's 600 contacts, and each contact has maybe 200 bytes, you only need to transfer 120KByte. If you assume the worst, and the car only supports Bluetooth 2, we can expect about 8Kbyte per second throughput, so it'll take 15 seconds to download them all, maybe 20 seconds if we add some format (vCard) overhead.

Boatguy, just managing my expectations with a sort of linked question to the OP. Do any of you have experience of the Infotainment system coping with bluetooth connection to an iPhone (calls) and iPad (music) concurrently? This works well in my current Volvo XC60, but I have an expectation of disappointment for this to be the case on the Model S turning up next month.

It's really fast, you don't notice any delay or lag.
Also, if you're on a call on your smartphone and you walk up to the car and get into the car, it immediately connects the Bluetooth and you continue your call on the car speakers and microphone without any delay... it just works!