TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Contact list with multiple iPhones registered

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Hookemhorns, May 21, 2016.

1. Hookemhorns

Hookemhorns Member

Waiting...waiting...mid June-July!

Anyway, my wife and I both intend to connect our iPhones to Bluetooth. We'll synch my contact list, and when we travel together we'll likely have my phone actively connected for making and receiving calls.

But...what if we choose her phone, or she get in the car alone and her phone is automatically connected. Is my contact list still save somewhere in Tesla's memory? Can she then use my list for voice or menu calling? Does Tesla get confused (for example, how often does it refresh the contact list)? Or when her phone is connected does Tesla decide to discard my contact list and download hers?

Just wondering how two different iPhones are treated by the Tesla system.

2. Polyport

Polyport Member

The car downloads the contact list when the phone connects via Bluetooth. If your wife's phone is connected, her contact list is what is available. Same, when your phone is connected, it's your contact list only. The list is not preserved or saved in the car.
    As for which phone it uses when both are present, I don't know for sure, but I'd guess it's the one it "sees" first on Bluetooth.
    However, it's easy to see which phone is connected, and just as easy to switch to the "other" phone.

3. simonog

simonog Member

It tries the last phone connected first; if not found it tries for others.

As @Polyport says, it's easy to switch by touching the phone symbol and selecting the wanted phone.

4. Hookemhorns

Hookemhorns Member

And every time you select a new phone, the car downloads the new contact list? If we are driving and do that, any guess as to how long for, say, 200 contacts to download and be available on the touchscreen? If it's fast, I like that solution. Nice and clean.

So when we get in the car in the morning, or park and turn the car off then return, it re-downloads the contact list, even if it's the same phone that was last connected (since it's not saved)? Hope it's not a long delay...seems like I've read here that some people with a lot of contacts have to wait a long time for their list to be downloaded. If it restarts every time they get out, that doesn't seem good. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds...

5. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Welcome! The Infotainment software from Tesla badly lags other areas of the vehicle. You should manage your expectations accordingly and hope, as do many of us, that Tesla will someday have an infotainment system that matches the quality of other aspects of the vehicle.

6. Hookemhorns

Hookemhorns Member

Well said, thanks.

7. finallybuying

finallybuying Member

Wait...I have 600 contacts or so. Does it really renown load them? Or just access as needed? If it really downloads - how long does that take?

8. Polyport

Polyport Member

I have about 200 contacts and when I walk to my car, by the time I'm buckled in and ready to go, they're already loaded. It seems that when the car senses the key and extends the handles it already starts the Bluetooth connection. Haven't verified that theory, just going off my experiences.

Even if it's 600 contacts, and each contact has maybe 200 bytes, you only need to transfer 120KByte. If you assume the worst, and the car only supports Bluetooth 2, we can expect about 8Kbyte per second throughput, so it'll take 15 seconds to download them all, maybe 20 seconds if we add some format (vCard) overhead.

9. 4dme

4dme Member

Boatguy, just managing my expectations with a sort of linked question to the OP. Do any of you have experience of the Infotainment system coping with bluetooth connection to an iPhone (calls) and iPad (music) concurrently? This works well in my current Volvo XC60, but I have an expectation of disappointment for this to be the case on the Model S turning up next month.

10. Polyport

Polyport Member

@4dme Tesla only supports a single Bluetooth connection at a time. You cannot pair both your phone and your iPad at the same time, even if it is for different usage types.

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

It's really fast, you don't notice any delay or lag.
    Also, if you're on a call on your smartphone and you walk up to the car and get into the car, it immediately connects the Bluetooth and you continue your call on the car speakers and microphone without any delay... it just works!

12. simonog

simonog Member

I have 675 contacts. My wife has 400. We both drive the car.

Neither of us has ever registered a noticeable delay while the contacts load.

13. Hookemhorns

Hookemhorns Member

Have you ever changed the phone connected to the car while driving...and when you do that, is the transition fast to the new contact list?

14. simonog

simonog Member

Yes and yes