Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contact local Bed & Breakfasts requesting the inquire about Tesla HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contact local Bed & Breakfasts requesting they inquire about Tesla HPWC

I've been contacting many local B&Bs by email to send them information about asking Tesla about installing a HPWC. Tesla is offering free/subsidized HPWCs to destination locations where there are currently no superchargers nearby. If we all send emails to several local B&Bs there is a good chance that we will see a dramatic increase in HPWC installations.

Here is an example email I have been sending:

Good morning,

I am an electric vehicle enthusiast and advocate of all things related to electric vehicles. I wanted to pass on some information to you about a program Tesla Motors (maker of premium electric vehicles) has where they will install a high powered electric vehicle charging station at destination locations (such as your bread & breakfast).

There is currently a large gap in coverage of charging stations in YOUR LOCATION and your location in INSERT CITY would be a prime site for a HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) charging port. If your B&B is chosen as a location for a charging station it will attract customers who drive Tesla electric cars to stay at your business. A symbol will be displayed on the charging map (see below) and anyone passing through will see it as a charging opportunity.

Here is the website for requesting consideration: Destination Charging

And here is a map showing current locations. The small red symbols represent the type of charger that is installed under this program: Find Us | Tesla Motors

Finally, as an example, here is a bed and breakfast that is receiving a charging station under this program: Beiderbecke Inn Bed and Breakfast

Just thought I'd pass along this information to help INSERT STATE/REGION transition to a greener future.

Good idea??

Last edited:
In letters I've written along these lines, I start by making it clear that I'm the sort of customer who would actually stay at their B&B, if only they had charging. I start with something like:

Dear [Innkeeper],

My wife and I travel frequently and prefer to stay in high-end B&B's like yours. We drive an electric vehicle, however, and so finding quality lodging that also provides EV charging facilities is a requirement.

Then I'd go along the lines you outline, starting with "I wanted to pass on some information...."

I particularly like that you point out other high-end lodging options that do have charging available. There's nothing like seeing a competitive threat, and knowing that a competitor has already made the investment helps the innkeeper believe that it's a good option.

I have done this too, but at places that I am actually going to stay at. I give them a call and say I'd like to stay there on such and such a date, but would it be possible to install a 50 amp RV plug for my electric car. I ask for a 14-50 rather than an HPWC since I'm going to be staying there overnight, so a 14-50 is plenty and less expensive for them to install.

I have done this too, but at places that I am actually going to stay at. I give them a call and say I'd like to stay there on such and such a date, but would it be possible to install a 50 amp RV plug for my electric car. I ask for a 14-50 rather than an HPWC since I'm going to be staying there overnight, so a 14-50 is plenty and less expensive for them to install.

Do you offer to add their outlet to Plug Share for them?

Do you offer to add their outlet to Plug Share for them?
I check when I get back from the trip, and make sure it's there. I tell them about PlugShare too. If it doesn't show up, I make sure it's there. I also add it, and a review, to Trip Advisor. My guess is more people use TA than PS if you don't count the EV only folks. When looking for a place to stay I'd guess a lot of EV folks use TA for the accommodations.

You can also point out to them that the 14-50 is useful for RV's if they have a large enough parking area. Sometimes people who are traveling together need a break from say the other couple or simply don't want to sleeping on the bed/couch for an evening.

You can also point out to them that the 14-50 is useful for RV's if they have a large enough parking area. Sometimes people who are traveling together need a break from say the other couple or simply don't want to sleeping on the bed/couch for an evening.

Quite right. Although since I'm asking for a 50 amp RV plug, it's not too big a conceptual leap :) No one other than an electrician or a Tesla owner knows what a NEMA 14-50 is.

if I owned a cute little B&B somewhere, and didn't know anything about Teslas, I'd find the two words "high powered" a little scary ... as a business owner I'd be worried about liability issues, and my first thought would probably be: "could somebody get electrocuted from this thing?" ... my point is, a little more explanation of what a HPWC really is might help

if I owned a cute little B&B somewhere, and didn't know anything about Teslas, I'd find the two words "high powered" a little scary ... as a business owner I'd be worried about liability issues, and my first thought would probably be: "could somebody get electrocuted from this thing?" ... my point is, a little more explanation of what a HPWC really is might help

I've never had that response, mostly it's "I'll see how much it will cost and get back to you" or "We can't do that now, but will consider it in the future".

"We can't do that now" may be a polite way of saying "I don't want to do that because I don't know what it is" or "I need to look into it before committing" ... my point was that a little extra information to allay any potential fear or apprehension the average person may have can go a long way

"We can't do that now" may be a polite way of saying "I don't want to do that because I don't know what it is" or "I need to look into it before committing" ... my point was that a little extra information to allay any potential fear or apprehension the average person may have can go a long way

Right. I didn't say I ended the conversation there, only that that was the initial response. My bad for not making the initial response clear.