Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contacting Tesla about my car's constant need for repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Have a question. I bought a used 2014 Model S a few years ago. When I purchased it, Tesla had a two year warranty. In those two years, pretty much everything went wrong with the car. Battery, drive train, roof, doors, other battery, brakes, suspension...literally more problems than you would ever believe. It was not so painful while the car was under the wonderful Tesla warranty. The problem is, that the car keeps having issues after the warranty has expired. This *sugar* gets expensive and its kinda ridiculous. Last month charging decided to quit when it rains. That was $1300. It's always something. Car only has 100k miles. It really shouldn't be this bad.

What I'd really like is for a contact with someone from Tesla to tell them my woes. Isn't it possible that they could see the amount of issues this car is having and find a way to cut me a break? Won't charge when it rains???????

Can anyone suggest an escalation path? The service reps at the dealership suggested the contact page. Obviously nobody got back to me from there lol.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It doesn't whether it's an ICE or a Tesla, things do break down.

That's how the rules are set: If you want protection, you need a warranty. Once the warranty runs out, you are on your own.
Thanks for the reply. While I totally agree, there is a point where just too much has failed. It’s embarrassing and I want to make sure Tesla is aware what they are charging for a car that has had wayyy to many failures.

Thanks for the reply. While I totally agree, there is a point where just too much has failed. It’s embarrassing and I want to make sure Tesla is aware what they are charging for a car that has had wayyy to many failures.

Substitute another brand in a similar space (Like BMW, Audi, Porsche etc) and would you be trying to contact BMW corporate to complain about repairs on a used BMW that was 8 years old and 100k miles? Perhaps you would be, or have done this in the past. If so, how was that received / acted upon by the car manufacturer you contacted?

Reactions: nilesborg
Substitute another brand in a similar space (Like BMW, Audi, Porsche etc) and would you be trying to contact BMW corporate to complain about repairs on a used BMW that was 8 years old and 100k miles? Perhaps you would be, or have done this in the past. If so, how was that received / acted upon by the car manufacturer you contacted?
I have owned several luxury cars. None have required this level of repair. It’s laughable.

But…I’m not trying to debate what’s right or not. I simply asked if anyone had an escalation contact at Tesla.

I have owned several luxury cars. None have required this level of repair. It’s laughable.

But…I’m not trying to debate what’s right or not. I simply asked if anyone had an escalation contact at Tesla.

There isnt any, really (escalation contact at tesla). Tesla has specifically hidden anyone like that from any customer facing contact. The service center manager is the highest contact anyone can get to, by design.

This is not your local deli that gave you stale bread. Although it would make you feel better about it, your complaints will have no impact whatsoever. Tesla already has your money and does not care if you ever come back. The best solution is to fall out of love with the car, sell it off, grieve for a few weeks, then buy something more reliable.

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone in particular you would target?
I am in Canada so on LinkedIN I searched for Tesla under 'people' and then went for the one that was most appropriate. For fun, I just went into LinkedIN and searched for 'Tesla New York' as you show Brooklyn and then clicked on PEOPLE and started scrolling titles. Thee is an Operations Manager at Tesla in the NYC Metro Area (Constantine Andreadis) and then I see a VP of Operations in Reno, NV (Chris Lister). Then I searched for 'Tesla Customer Service New York' and see Joseph Constantino is a Customer Experience Manager. So...this is how I narrow it down and then I send a connection request with a comment with a quick intro and why I am looking to connect IE 'I am a great customer with an issue looking for advice' or something like that. Looks like there are quite a few Tesla folks in Buffalo, NY.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
This is not your local deli that gave you stale bread. Although it would make you feel better about it, your complaints will have no impact whatsoever. Tesla already has your money and does not care if you ever come back. The best solution is to fall out of love with the car, sell it off, grieve for a few weeks, then buy something more reliable.
Obviously, he bought the car old and used for one reason: It was cheap. The maxim, "You get what you pay for" was coined for instances like this. To think that you will get new car reliability on an old used car is ridiculous. Even gas cars start to fail with 100,000 miles on them, and although some keep running, they don't run for long.

If he can't afford to bring the car up to a reliable state, he shouldn't have bought it. I once owned an old Mercedes diesel, bought because I thought it would be reliable even though it was cheap. It wasn't. I sold it a month later at a loss and have never wanted another MB.

What he bought and why is irrelevant. He's asking for the avenues and names to complain to as if he is important, that his bad experience matters, and that it will have some lasting impact on the brand. The answer is that there is no one with power either to care nor to have the impact he desires.

That said, I've had much less expensive cars that never saw the inside of a repair shop, save for the expected wear and tear items associated with 15 year old cars that I did not have the tools nor time to repair or maintain.

Reactions: maximizese
I have had a good experience from Tesla customer service but remember, the Model S was only about two years into production back in 2014. So I expect the 2022 version to be much more reliable. There are third party companies that can help cover costs (see below). Endurance looks like a good one...has anyone had experience with an extended warranty plan?

There are essentially zero internal escalation mechanisms within Tesla. This is by design.

Frustrating situation you're in, but it's worth being honest - they simply do not care that the second owner of an early production Model is is experiencing reliability issues after 100,000 miles. They don't feel like they owe anything to you. They wouldn't feel like they owed you anything even if you were the person who bought the car new to the tune of $100k+ vs. second hand at a massive discount.

You bought a used car, they included a warranty and made good on it, that warranty is now expired.

Owning an early high mileage Model S out of warranty isn't for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

Obviously, he bought the car old and used for one reason: It was cheap. The maxim, "You get what you pay for" was coined for instances like this. To think that you will get new car reliability on an old used car is ridiculous. Even gas cars start to fail with 100,000 miles on them, and although some keep running, they don't run for long.

If he can't afford to bring the car up to a reliable state, he shouldn't have bought it. I once owned an old Mercedes diesel, bought because I thought it would be reliable even though it was cheap. It wasn't. I sold it a month later at a loss and have never wanted another MB.
I've got to disagree with this because it's quite an assumption to make. There were probably many reasons for the OP to decide to purchase a used Tesla with a 2yr warranty. I did pretty much the same and have lucked out with the car so far. I've added 52K miles onto the car, still have the same tires on it, and had the following replaced under warranty:
  • drive unit (no issue real with it, Tesla SC recommended the replacement), pyro fuse, HVAC drain hose, HV contactors, and 12V battery
  • TPMS
  • eMMC daughterboard, rear window defroster fuse
Not covered by warranty, I paid for 2 key fobs and MCU2. I was fully aware of the best and worst case scenarios of owning a Tesla out of warranty and so I was prepared for that before I chose to buy it. Still, I wouldn't assume the OP has done anything specifically to deserve an unreliable ownership experience and so they have my sympathies. I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected a better experience nor do I think it's unreasonable to ask for advice with respect to recourse.

Reactions: DFW_MVP
Let me fix this for you: Owning an early high mileage Model S out of warranty Tesla isn't for the faint of heart or light of wallet. 🙂
Meh, I'm willing to break with the pack on that one. My Dec 2016 MS has been rock solid over 140,000 miles, with total out of warranty repairs under $1,000. My plan is to keep driving it into the ground, at least until the batt/DU warranty is over.

The earlier cars are different beasts.

Meh, I'm willing to break with the pack on that one. My Dec 2016 MS has been rock solid over 140,000 miles, with total out of warranty repairs under $1,000. My plan is to keep driving it into the ground, at least until the batt/DU warranty is over.

The earlier cars are different beasts.
I have a 2016 MX (VIN ~1500) so right in the heat of cars with all sorts of issues. My car so far has had very few issues other than things all Tesla's have issues with like tire wear. I have so far escaped almost all of the regular MX issues that even new cars have and my fit and finish is not the best, but pretty good for a Tesla. My battery degradation is not unusual and I have only replaced the 12v once over the years.

None the less when the original 4 year warranty was up I did not hesitate to buy the 4 year extended. I fully expect(ed) something big was going to break. I chalked that up to the cost of the car I bought, knowing it was not the most reliable car ever designed.

TBD what I do with the car at the end of the warranty in 2 years. Depending on how the battery appears I might keep it and just drive it tell it dies. So far I have not gotten my $5300 dollars worth on the warranty but I have a friend who did not get it on the same car/age and they have spent more than the warranty on repairs etc.

Reactions: David29 and ucmndd