Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

contactless delivery and accepting it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not just for model Y

I had a youtube video pop up into my google news headlines the other day. Not a channel I recognized so I can't go back an reference it easily....

anyway, he was walking through a contactless delivery at the california plant.
Nobody around, just the customer on their own with their phone programmed to the car.
He made the suggestion that the exterior should be inspected thoroughly, then if ok you must accept the car before it would unlock.

Seem rather risky to me.
what if there's an interior defect that causes rejection?
how on earth could you test drive it to make sure there's not some alignment or mechanical issue?

I understand that in theory at least...and probably 99.9% of the time in practice...they'll eventually fix whatever's wrong
but
I guess I'm old school.
Is there a way to inspect the interior and test drive it BEFORE accepting the delivery?

otherwise
is there a way to request a contact delivery so that these things can be done?

• Helpful
Reactions: M16t42k
not just for model Y

I had a youtube video pop up into my google news headlines the other day. Not a channel I recognized so I can't go back an reference it easily....

anyway, he was walking through a contactless delivery at the california plant.
Nobody around, just the customer on their own with their phone programmed to the car.
He made the suggestion that the exterior should be inspected thoroughly, then if ok you must accept the car before it would unlock.

Seem rather risky to me.
what if there's an interior defect that causes rejection?
how on earth could you test drive it to make sure there's not some alignment or mechanical issue?

I understand that in theory at least...and probably 99.9% of the time in practice...they'll eventually fix whatever's wrong
but
I guess I'm old school.
Is there a way to inspect the interior and test drive it BEFORE accepting the delivery?

otherwise
is there a way to request a contact delivery so that these things can be done?
You always have 7 days from delivery during which you can return the car for a full refund - not ideal but plenty of time to thoroughly look over the car (interior too) and drive it.

My adviser had no problem handing me the keycards so I could get in and around the vehicle before officially accepting delivery, signing my loan paperwork, and driving off.
I have asked my Sales Advisor if he would be willing to take some photos of my MY when it arrives and send them to me pre-pickup day. He told me he'd be happy to do that. He also told me I could have access to the car before "accepting" it.
Be nice to and maybe butter up your Sales Advisor a bit to get what you want. They are human like us, so the usual things like being polite, attentive, cooperative, complementary, etc.. only add to your chances of them wanting to make your purchase experience positive and enjoyable.

Reactions: Kevin66 and CO_MY
I have asked my Sales Advisor if he would be willing to take some photos of my MY when it arrives and send them to me pre-pickup day. He told me he'd be happy to do that. He also told me I could have access to the car before "accepting" it.
Be nice to and maybe butter up your Sales Advisor a bit to get what you want. They are human like us, so the usual things like being polite, attentive, cooperative, complementary, etc.. only add to your chances of them wanting to make your purchase experience positive and enjoyable.

With Tesla SA it is probably the only way to get help. I never got worse service at any dealership. Great EV Car (probably the best for now) and the worst delivery experience I ever had. BTW, my SA did not allow me to examine the car. He insisted that the only way to do that is to accept the delivery. And I was very polite. And I am also a human being, paying 55K for the car, btw.

@Shap .. Texas deliveries are a special case since Tesla is not allowed to sell but only deliver cars in Texas. Other states where they are allowed to sell cars are not, or should not be so restrictive with pre-acceptance inspections.

Agree, Texas is a special case. Said that there is no excuse to be rude and show your ignorance as Tesla delivery agent. Even in Texas :)

Reactions: NY_Rob
Be nice to and maybe butter up your Sales Advisor a bit to get what you want.

With Tesla SA it is probably the only way to get help.

but if you just order online...which seems to be the sales model for Tesla...and also preferable in this "contactless / social distancing" time we live in...
then you don't have a Sales Advisor.

I did work with a Sales person in Tampa only just briefly when I walked in for a test drive and look-see. She did offer to help, order, etc... but I live 200 miles away and it's certainly not the closest showroom or delivery center.
and here in the Jacksonville area the showroom is not colocated with the delivery center.

Are you suggesting that if/when I order I should work through with a sales person... call the lady in Tampa even though I wouldn't pick it up there?

It was easy for me, just log into your Tesla app, accept delivery and check out the car. I was told by one of the advisors at the showroom to just log into the service option on the app and list problems if you have any. I had one issue, after I sent the info to a service center through the app I was was contacted almost immediately and set an appointment.