Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contactors and their rated voltage.... Can the battery V's be higher than Contactor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> The motor controller has large internal filter capacitors. [Wiztecy]

Large?

one.farad.caps.jpg

If the caps are inside the controller how large can they be?

If you tie that pc-resistor across the contactor terminals you will have a permanent vampire load of 0.1 Amp unless EV has a separate battery switch. You could put a push switch in series with the resistor and watch the controller voltage rise over time. If 10 sec could bring it up to almost Vb then it would be like warming glow plugs on a diesel - hold for 10 sec and then turn ON key. I'm thinking a proper bike should have a separate battery switch (mine doesn't yet).

My contactor may well have pitting of contacts which would eventually reduce power. If I find pitting I'll now know the reason why thanks to you guys.

Someday I'll find a good use for the monster caps like running an LED for a few days power outage.
--

I got my Zero back together and the Glitch is gone!!!

I want to thank everyone who helped and gave input on this subject, was a huge help. Attached are pics of the new contactor in the battery compartment. It was way bigger than the stock which caused an issue where the stock fuses would hit it, so I put in push button breakers to replace the fuses and relocated the breakers in an area where there was no issue for space or any chance of a short. I also wired the pre-charge resistor to engage when the 12volt circuit is alive via a key-on trigger. That way I don't have any vampire drain running across the pre-charge resistor when the bike is sitting idle with the key off. Whats nice about this bike is that you can work on it in your living room :) I laid the bike on its side and slid the battery pack by myself in which wasn't that hard of a task. I also found the serial line to talk to the MBB/Computer. There's some performance hacks I can do now to get the bike to go into "performance" mode :) Made the cable long enough to connect to my computer.

So stoked to get my electric motorcycle on the road again, its a must have and a necessity for my local in-town commute and a savior when doing errands. Also keeps me in a good routine such as my workout routine when I come home from work. I put my gym bag on the back, unplug, and go!

I have to say the Zero definitely has improved. It use to have a lag between 0-30mph, then a powerband feeling would occur and consistent torque from 30-60mph and haven't tested its top speed. Now I get full torque from 5-60mph where the power keeps getting stronger and intense to the rear wheel. Throttle response is way cleaner and not touchy before. The better spec'd contactor part has least resistance across it with the flow of energy, so I get more power to controller and then to the motor, I also get a cleaner signal from the throttle to the controller. Stoked!

Nice by the way Wycolo :)

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7006.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

1959396_10203533487686701_410232543_n.jpg

Last edited: