Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contactors dying....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Getting u008 and w094 BMS errors sporadically while driving. 119K miles and 6 years old this month.

u008 "Acceleration and top speed reduced. Performance may be restored on next client"
w094 "Power reduced. Service is required"

Some folks reported last year that Tesla declined to cover the contactors under the 8 year warranty with about an equal number stating that Tesla did cover the contactors outside the 4 year / 50K with no ESA.

I have seen that the contactors are part of the battery pack. If this is true, it shoudl be covered under the battery pack 8 year warranty.

You'd think but this:

And several more posts like it saying they received bills for contactor replacements.

The contactors are internal battery pack components.

Wikrem says his was eventually covered. The battery has an 8 year warranty. I'd have them in small claims court, or arbitration if you didn't opt out of arbitration, if they did not eventually cover this. Perhaps they are just trying to see if one objects strongly enough, like insurance companies frequently do.

Reactions: ucmndd and sorka
Wikrem says his was eventually covered. The battery has an 8 year warranty. I'd have them in small claims court, or arbitration if you didn't opt out of arbitration, if they did not eventually cover this. Perhaps they are just trying to see if one objects strongly enough, like insurance companies frequently do.
I agree. I had my contactors both go bad last May, and no issues replacing them under warranty, once I convinced the SA that Teslafi and my CAN bus reader did not cause the problem.

Getting u008 and w094 BMS errors sporadically while driving. 119K miles and 6 years old this month.

u008 "Acceleration and top speed reduced. Performance may be restored on next client"
w094 "Power reduced. Service is required"

Some folks reported last year that Tesla declined to cover the contactors under the 8 year warranty with about an equal number stating that Tesla did cover the contactors outside the 4 year / 50K with no ESA.

Hi Sorka - Any idea how much Tesla was asking to replace a contactor? My search does not yield any result. Thanks.