Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Containment Hold Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our worst fears confirmed: Tesla is stuck with over 10,000 cars on factory hold, resulting in a logistical nightmare - Electrek

Will Tesla deliver 0 vehicles in June? Will we all be missing random panels on the interior of our car as Tesla schedules 10,000 service appointments across the country to fix post-delivery? Will TSLA drop to $10 a share? Should Elon call and leave us all voicemails apologizing? Is this a part/chip supply issue, or a firmware update issue related to new chips?

Get your evidence, SA speculation/rumors/lies in here.

Discuss!

In the article it said they are still shipping the cars to their destination centers, because they don't need to be at the factory to fix the issue. To me, this means that it is most likely a software firmware issue.

If it was an actually piece of hardware that is missing and they still shipped the cars, they would then have to ship out the missing part all over the place once it came in. Seems like that would just make this logistical nightmare even more complicated if that was the case.

Will Tesla deliver 0 vehicles in June? Will we all be missing random panels on the interior of our car as Tesla schedules 10,000 service appointments across the country to fix post-delivery? Will TSLA drop to $10 a share? Should Elon call and leave us all voicemails apologizing? Is this a part/chip supply issue, or a firmware update issue related to new chips?
Well that escalated quickly.

Who is this websites source? No names given, no official word from Tesla? Unless there is a creditable source I would Take this with a grain of salt. Not everything you see or read on the internet is true. Yes some service centers are holding cars. That could be the normal. I would say sit back relax and lets see what comes with it. We are only just past half way through the quarter. If we start seeing EDD in July Then we have a reason to worry. just let them do there thing

IIf I take a calculated guess it’s something to do with that chip looks like they built all these vehicles without the chip and they’re now having their Service centre install them. Which explains now why all these vehicles are sitting at the delivery centres. At the Oakville Tesla Delivery centre there are around 100 new vehicles sitting in their lots on hold. I drive-by their lot on a daily basis and see these vehicles there parked in a secure lot without being delivered, the vehicles have been sitting there for over two weeks collecting dust.

Last edited:
Chip install seems like it would be a pretty complex operation that would be completed at the plant, or wherever the electronics subassembly is done. Especially if it involves a heatsink or some form of active cooling directly attached. I just would be surprised if any of it is modular.

Chip install seems like it would be a pretty complex operation that would be completed at the plant, or wherever the electronics subassembly is done. Especially if it involves a heatsink or some form of active cooling directly attached. I just would be surprised if any of it is modular.
I second this...I think it's more likely software vs. hardware...but honestly, who the heck knows??? 🤷‍♂️

Who is this websites source? No names given, no official word from Tesla? Unless there is a creditable source I would Take this with a grain of salt. Not everything you see or read on the internet is true. Yes some service centers are holding cars. That could be the normal. I would say sit back relax and lets see what comes with it. We are only just past half way through the quarter. If we start seeing EDD in July Then we have a reason to worry. just let them do there thing
Eletrek always has an obscure source cited as "someone highly knowledgeable in the matter", of course likely insider info and kept anonymous to prevent backlash. As sketchy as it is, they have been pretty accurate in the past few months.

10,000 cars is just a drop in the bucket for Tesla at the end of each quarter.

If it's not something like a chip, could be something as dumb as missing badges since that's what happened to a few cars in mid-March. The cars were delivered to the delivery center, but could not get released for customer delivery for a little over a week until the SC put badges onto the car.

10,000 cars is just a drop in the bucket for Tesla at the end of each quarter.

If it's not something like a chip, could be something as dumb as missing badges since that's what happened to a few cars in mid-March. The cars were delivered to the delivery center, but could not get released for customer delivery for a little over a week until the SC put badges onto the car.
What are badges? I'm not familiar with that item/term. Like decals?