Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Containment Hold Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this gives a pretty good clue on what is up. Announcement from Tesla: Transitioning to Tesla Vision

Transitioning to Tesla Vision

We are continuing the transition to Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system. Beginning with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will no longer be equipped with radar. Instead, these will be the first Tesla vehicles to rely on camera vision and neural net processing to deliver Autopilot, Full-Self Driving and certain active safety features. Customers who ordered before May 2021 and are matched to a car with Tesla Vision will be notified of the change through their Tesla Accounts prior to delivery.

Makes sense, the cars I saw gathering dust at Raleigh SC build dates were May 1 and later. Article states the transition occurs May 2021 builds. Which also lines up with the spreadsheet and all our detectives here in the forums awaiting delivery.

We may see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. 🤞

Reactions: Doge-1
Makes sense, the cars I saw gathering dust at Raleigh SC build dates were May 1 and later. Article states the transition occurs May 2021 builds. Which also lines up with the spreadsheet and all our detectives here in the forums awaiting delivery.

We may see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. 🤞
Technically it says starting with May deliveries, so it may be for builds starting on March and April that have been held up. That would explain why some Model Ys have been delivered in the past few weeks up to 182xxx. Those cars still had radar and didn't rely on the new firmware for their Autopilot and FSD features to work as advertised.

I'm curious if something else has improved with the removal of the radar? Maybe camera resolution or processing power?

Here is a statement in that press release: "Starting with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will be optimized for Tesla Vision ..."

I wonder what Optimized means?

This article here says "significantly improved self-driving hardware" has been being added to all Model 3's since April, i assume same for the Y

Reactions: Platini
Mexico City dealers are holding model Y delivery, same Firmware argument.
According to dealer information, car arrived local service center, just waiting firmware update.
I'll post any updates.

Model Y, 7 seats, LR, White ext, Black int., 19 inch Whls, Serial 853XX, RR March27,2021.

This article here says "significantly improved self-driving hardware" has been being added to all Model 3's since April, i assume same for the Y

The writer of the article does not know the difference between software and hardware. FSD version 9 is not hardware.

Mexico City dealers are holding model Y delivery, same Firmware argument.
According to dealer information, car arrived local service center, just waiting firmware update.
I'll post any updates.

Model Y, 7 seats, LR, White ext, Black int., 19 inch Whls, Serial 853XX, RR March27,2021.
Good news,
I just received a call to schedule delivery of my model Y. The firmware with the Tesla Vision update has been installed.
I’ll post the new firmware experience.
This must be the start of delivery of all pending model Y’s.

Reactions: savicbo
I received my VIN this am and my ETA for Delivery at the Plano TSC has updated to May 31st - June 6th.

My ETA was missing the last couple of days and was an 8-12 weeks generic window for a couple weeks before that. I had a June 20th - 30th window for the first part of May. Ordered my Model 3 SR+ on April 11th.

Takeaway is VINs are coming and TSCs everywhere appear to be finalizing Firmware for Teslavision, new Chips or even a mix of both.

Hang in there and hope everyone enjoys Memorial Day Weekend!

Got my VIN over the weekend. Sure sounds like they kept us all waiting because they removed the radar before they even had a super basic version of the AP software that worked without radar. Now they have temporarily shut down some safety features until they can pull sufficient data from the new fleet to guarantee the new setup won't perform significantly worse than it did with radar... Just my 2 cents.

I received my VIN this am and my ETA for Delivery at the Plano TSC has updated to May 31st - June 6th.

My ETA was missing the last couple of days and was an 8-12 weeks generic window for a couple weeks before that. I had a June 20th - 30th window for the first part of May. Ordered my Model 3 SR+ on April 11th.

Takeaway is VINs are coming and TSCs everywhere appear to be finalizing Firmware for Teslavision, new Chips or even a mix of both.

Hang in there and hope everyone enjoys Memorial Day Weekend!
You have the same EDD as me. How do you know where you are picking up? I think I’m Plano, but don’t know how to verify.