Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contemplating about switching MY LR order to MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a basic MY LR (MSM, black interior, Gemini wheels, no FSD, no tow) with order date late November 11, 2021. Original EDD was October 2022, got moved up and down a bunch of times, currently sitting at EDD July 29 - Sept 23, 2022 so who knows. I'm now considering the MYP upgrade for $5k, since we're locked into the lower rate, just because we can likely get the car sooner. Some questions I'm mulling over:

1) How much sooner can we realistically get the MYP if we're based in SoCal?
2) Is there a big insurance premium penalty for getting the MYP instead of LR? Assume excellent driving record, over the age of 20s.
3) How hard is it to sell the 21" uberturbine tire/wheel combo? I would prefer a 3rd party 19" wheel for better ride/range.

Appreciate any advice regarding the above.

I have a basic MY LR (MSM, black interior, Gemini wheels, no FSD, no tow) with order date late November 11, 2021. Original EDD was October 2022, got moved up and down a bunch of times, currently sitting at EDD July 29 - Sept 23, 2022 so who knows. I'm now considering the MYP upgrade for $5k, since we're locked into the lower rate, just because we can likely get the car sooner. Some questions I'm mulling over:

2) Is there a big insurance premium penalty for getting the MYP instead of LR? Assume excellent driving record, over the age of 20s.
3) How hard is it to sell the 21" uberturbine tire/wheel combo? I would prefer a 3rd party 19" wheel for better ride/range.

I once visited the Fremont showroom at the factory and they offered to order a performance version with the Gemini wheels. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I ordered my Model Y Performance Nov. 4th, 2021 and pick up was Dec. 26th, but I have no idea what the wait times are now. What I do know is, the Performance will be delivered sooner then the LR.

Aside from that, with the Performance you get:
Brembo brakes
Matrix headllights
Lowered suspension
Carbon fiber spoiler
Faster 0-60
Cool line below "Dual Motor"
Bragging rights!

Seriously, I just think it's well worth the extra $5k for the Performance model. You only lose about 15 miles of range, and how often is that really going to matter?

What's strange is, the cost to go from LR to Performance on the Model 3 is $8,000, on the Y it's only $5,000! The wheels alone cost $2,000 if you want to upgrade the LR wheels...

Not sure about insurance, and I don't want to sell my Uberturbine wheels, but I do know that people have sold theirs.

Good luck!

With my last three Tesla performance cars, I've replaced the big wheels with smaller, lighter ones as soon as I got the car. I got my Model Y Performance on March 17, got my TSportline 19" wheels on March 28, put up a Craigslist ad for the Uberturbines on March 29, and sold them on March 30. Easy peasy.

Of course, as with anything you sell, it depends on how much you ask. There are a lot of people selling Uberturbines, so you're not going to get anywhere near the Tesla store's $4750 asking price.

Reactions: house9
Lucky you live in the USA so there’s no charge for the change(ie. new pricing). I’m in Canada and I wanted to change the colour on my MYP order, $5k CDN upcharge/new pricing.
I personally think the Performance is a no brainer for the price difference. Added bonus of getting it sooner! How much sooner is the question. I placed my order March 13 and expected delivery is May 27-June 17. Wouldn’t expect you’d get it sooner than that…

Was in OP shoes back in NOV 2021. Was extra 5k worth it? HELL yea. OD MYP 11/13 in CA. Didn't want to wait a year for a LR. Car was actually ready in December but I wanted to wait for the new year and see whats going on with the new tax laws. It didn't happen so they txt me again in February that my P was ready. I put it on hold one more time to wait for all the new upgrades. I finally accepted my P a few week ago. Loved every second driving the car! Oh yea. I also locked in a 1.24% from DCU. knowing rates will go up soon and it did a few days after i took delivery.

Tesla usually deliver to west coast during the end of each quarter. Q1 just ended, so Tesla will be focusing on east coast the next couple months. Come back around to CA around June. My guess, if you changed ur order to P, you willl have a EDD of June-july. U might get lucky to get a text around may. Also might get a text within the next few weeks if someone somehow decided to not accept their P and you are next in line.

Im early 40, insurance didn't change. Statefarm, FYI. from the Bay Area.

Once I put my order in on 11/13/21, I was keeping my eyes out for a clean used set, aftermarket 19" black color. Knowing I would remove the 21" asap to sell them. Lucky for me, another member here from South Bay was selling his 19" martian black clean set with 500 miles for 2k. Hell YEA!. I put them on the next day after accepting my P. List my 21" on craiglist for 3k. Sold them within 2 week. IF you're patience, someone will be looking for them. So don't worry!

the 21" is sick! but the 19" martian is not too far behind. To get better range, better comfort and cheaper tires to replaced and rotate, its a no brainer for me. I had a 2020 MY LR with AB for my first Y. Original wheels was the 19". I put on a set of used 20" to try. also 21". Found them all from craiglist for a bargain. End up selling them all and keeping the original 19". I put in 30k miles on my LR Y. Sold it for $62k to a dealer back in NOV and put an order in for the 2022 P asap! :)

btw, my 2020 LR Y with AB vs my 2022 P. What a huge improvement!. OP, you will not regret it. $5k extra is worth every dollar. FYI. with the current new prices, its 4k more for the P. And you don't qualify for the CVRP rebate anymore (extra 2k discount). So our order before 3/15/22 qualify. So thats ur 6k in saving if you order the P today. :)

Last edited:
Without keeping October pricing for an MYP, the current out-the-door price for a MYP with black paint, white interior, with tow, no fsd, is ~$12k more than the out-the-door price I have locked in for a MYLR, black paint, white interior with tow and no fsd, ordered early October. Has anyone got October pricing for an MYP when they ordered an MYLR in October?

Lucky you live in the USA so there’s no charge for the change(ie. new pricing). I’m in Canada and I wanted to change the colour on my MYP order, $5k CDN upcharge/new pricing.
I personally think the Performance is a no brainer for the price difference. Added bonus of getting it sooner! How much sooner is the question. I placed my order March 13 and expected delivery is May 27-June 17. Wouldn’t expect you’d get it sooner than that…
Are you saying that Canada doesn’t support this new “keep your old pricing” policy?
This post made me go lookup the new price difference of 20” induction MYLP vs MYP.
And it’s around $3,600 CAD!

Cheaper than the acceleration boost I was contemplating. Passed the wife test too.

I hope they let me change for only the price difference in current pricing.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Without keeping October pricing for an MYP, the current out-the-door price for a MYP with black paint, white interior, with tow, no fsd, is ~$12k more than the out-the-door price I have locked in for a MYLR, black paint, white interior with tow and no fsd, ordered early October. Has anyone got October pricing for an MYP when they ordered an MYLR in October?

i remember being around 62-63k for a MYP base model. I think I was a few weeks late ordering. I got it at 64k.

This is what i did. I figured okay the difference is really only $3k because i'd buy the $2k performance boost anyways.

1. You'll probably get it June if i was a betting man.
2. Depends on the insurance. I did a random quote with my current carrier, state farm. No difference in premium between LR/Performance when selected.
3. Pretty hard, everyone is doing what you're thinking. You can probably sell it though if you're willing to get rid of it for cheap, like $2k.

At first the 21" scared me cuz of the range reduction, but i drive like less than 50 miles a day. this is non issue. And im coming over from a Model X that gets 290 miles of range. The fact that they now come with all seasons is a plus for me as well.

Im in Bay Area picking up at Fremont Factory.

FYI, I changed my LR order to P on March 29th. 30th VIN was assigned and pickup at 5PM. I had to wait until next day for my financing but I picked up 10AM on 31st.

Birthday was the 27th and 2 miles on the odometer. I received the all seasons on the 21s.

That was exactly my predicament; I order the MYLR in December; In January I saw lots of MYP deliveries, while my DD kept being pushed further out. So I upgraded to a MYP in early February, soon thereafter in late March I got it.
I don’t mind the 21’ but you can definitely sell them and get whatever size you want.

Are you saying that Canada doesn’t support this new “keep your old pricing” policy?
This post made me go lookup the new price difference of 20” induction MYLP vs MYP.
And it’s around $3,600 CAD!

Cheaper than the acceleration boost I was contemplating. Passed the wife test too.

I hope they let me change for only the price difference in current pricing.
You keep the price it was when you placed the order… as long as you don’t change ANYTHING. If you make a change, you get hit in the nether regions with the new price. My build went up $5k if I wanted to change the colour From black to grey(now a free colour choice). The only place in the world that can make changes without this penalty is the good old U S of A.

Reactions: PearlShark
Yeah he’ll likely stop what he’s doing to make you a body shop appointment. Lol. Doubt hes your service secretary.

is the myp ride noticeably lower than mylr?
About an INCH. It reduces the big gap you see between the tires in the fender arch. It looks so much better. Doubt you'll miss the inch in ride height. Here's a photo's a friends PMY with the 19" Gemini wheels/tires aka Stealth Y.
4VekXRx.jpg

Last edited:
That was exactly my predicament; I order the MYLR in December; In January I saw lots of MYP deliveries, while my DD kept being pushed further out. So I upgraded to a MYP in early February, soon thereafter in late March I got it.
I don’t mind the 21’ but you can definitely sell them and get whatever size you want.
Anyone with 21’ MYP switched to 20’ and how did it work out? Any Pictures to share?

I had a 2020 LR MY. let me dig up some old photo. I had on 19" gemini, 20" induction and 21" uber.

I have a 2022 MYP now with 19" martian.

not sure the photo can help. I couldn't tell a difference by the looks. But the drive is a lot better on the 2022 MYP compared to my 2020 LR.