Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contemplating "swapping" my Nov. 2014 S85 for a Sept. 2017 S100D - Would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the tile says, i'm contemplating selling my late 2014 S85 (with AP1, and air suspension) to get a September 2017 100D (with AP 2.5 and also with air suspension).

I would lose:
- free unlimited supercharging
- and, probably (still not sure yet) premium connectivity (after the first year?)

I would gain: (a newer car, of course)
- range
- 4 wheel drive
- 80.000km or 4 years of Tesla general warranty on the 100D
- + 3 years in battery and drive train warranty

Would still be on MCU1....

My S85 currently suffers from severe chargegate (as all (85's i think), but only mild batterygate (i lost about 10 to 12km since the infamous update around June), so i would really love to know if the 100 packs will develop the same issues in the future or not....

For the last few weeks i've been really hesitante about doing it or not.
Sometimes i'm really determined i want to do it, but then it fades... and i think it's better to just keep my S85.

The "swap" would immediately amount in about 30k that would turn into about 16k after tax deductions...

Would you do it? Why?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Decisions, decisions....

I'm more curious about the tax deductions of almost half the price of the 'swap', How ya doing that?!? ;)

Personally, I said my next Tesla would be the P model and AP2+/ MCU2 but then again mine is already not quiet as affected by chargergate and also is already AWD. But, if it is really 'only' 16k for the benefits you listed then I would go for it. The free supercharging and premium connectivity is such a minor drop in the bucket, If you had 1 out of warranty repair on your S85 it would probably exceed the cost of those combined over 4 years.

The newer cars are a serious downgrade. You'll also be losing the massive frunk, all the extra space the stupid console takes up, real leather seats, the better looking rear end and automatic wipers that actually work.

Reactions: AustinP
I'm more curious about the tax deductions of almost half the price of the 'swap', How ya doing that?!? ;)

Personally, I said my next Tesla would be the P model and AP2+/ MCU2 but then again mine is already not quiet as affected by chargergate and also is already AWD. But, if it is really 'only' 16k for the benefits you listed then I would go for it. The free supercharging and premium connectivity is such a minor drop in the bucket, If you had 1 out of warranty repair on your S85 it would probably exceed the cost of those combined over 4 years.

Because it would be VAT deductible ;)

I hear you on warranty, and agree the new warranty on the 100D is a big plus and one of the major reasons for me to consider doing this, but on the other hand, lots of important parts (suspension arms, parking calipers LHD steering rack, etc...) have recently been replaced under extended warranty on my S85.

The newer cars are a serious downgrade. You'll also be losing the massive frunk, all the extra space the stupid console takes up, real leather seats, the better looking rear end and automatic wipers that actually work.

Massive frunk is nice, but i don't really use it that much.
Already have the "stupid" console on my S85, so there's nothing to gain or lose there.
Yeah, real leather is nice, but the newer seats have more lateral support and that's something i sometimes miss.
What's up with the newer wipers??

I would not buy another Tesla (and I have 2 cars) until the issues with batterygate, chargegate, etc are resolved. On my P85, I have lost 31 miles of range, almost all of regen, acceleration, and maximum power draw capability. On the model 3, the car suddenly lost about 10 miles of range.

I believe Tesla will ultimately degrade all the batteries.

If you're still happy with your S85, just keep it. Remember that cars are depreciating assets and will be cheaper down the road - or you can get more for your money. Your S85 will be losing less value per year than a 2017. Your tax incentives are pretty crazy though. When do they change/go away? That would affect my decision.

the newer seats have more lateral support and that's something i sometimes miss.
What's up with the newer wipers??
I've got both a 2017 and a 2014. The 2017's seats are great for short trips, that bolsters are really nice and offer great support. However for long trips I find the seats in the 2014 are more comfortable. My back will hurt after an hour or two in the 2017 where as it feels fine in the 2014's seats.

The windshield wipers use the camera to see the rain in AP2+ cars, and it sucks.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
If you're still happy with your S85, just keep it. Remember that cars are depreciating assets and will be cheaper down the road - or you can get more for your money. Your S85 will be losing less value per year than a 2017. Your tax incentives are pretty crazy though. When do they change/go away? That would affect my decision.

I am happy, but you know...
The things that bothers me most with my S85 is the reduced charging rate (since batterygate), the prospect of being severely capped at any new update (so far i've just been mildly capped) and the fact that i can't make it to a holiday/weekend house i have without supercharging (which i could make with the 100D).
I don't care about Netflix, Caraoke, farts or other sh*t like that.

I've got both a 2017 and a 2014. The 2017's seats are great for short trips, that bolsters are really nice and offer great support. However for long trips I find the seats in the 2014 are more comfortable. My back will hurt after an hour or two in the 2017 where as it feels fine in the 2014's seats.

The windshield wipers use the camera to see the rain in AP2+ cars, and it sucks.

Had no idea about that.
Also I did liked my AP1 better in comparison to the AP2.5, on a loaner i had for a few days.

I would not buy another Tesla (and I have 2 cars) until the issues with batterygate, chargegate, etc are resolved. On my P85, I have lost 31 miles of range, almost all of regen, acceleration, and maximum power draw capability. On the model 3, the car suddenly lost about 10 miles of range.

I believe Tesla will ultimately degrade all the batteries.

Yeah, that's something i do fear.
I have hope the 100 packs are imune to chargegate, but i'm not holding my breath on it.

Like the tile says, i'm contemplating selling my late 2014 S85 (with AP1, and air suspension) to get a September 2017 100D (with AP 2.5 and also with air suspension).

I would lose:
- free unlimited supercharging
- and, probably (still not sure yet) premium connectivity (after the first year?)

I would gain: (a newer car, of course)
- range
- 4 wheel drive
- 80.000km or 4 years of Tesla general warranty on the 100D
- + 3 years in battery and drive train warranty

Would still be on MCU1....

My S85 currently suffers from severe chargegate (as all (85's i think), but only mild batterygate (i lost about 10 to 12km since the infamous update around June), so i would really love to know if the 100 packs will develop the same issues in the future or not....

For the last few weeks i've been really hesitante about doing it or not.
Sometimes i'm really determined i want to do it, but then it fades... and i think it's better to just keep my S85.

The "swap" would immediately amount in about 30k that would turn into about 16k after tax deductions...

Would you do it? Why?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Decisions, decisions....
Definitely do it cause the chances are you are going to start spending a lot of money on repairs if you haven’t already. So just having the 4yr warranty will take away a lot of stress as well as anger when do end up forking over chunks of money on a car that ain’t worth much.

I also have some issues with Tesla I believe doing over the air updates that are intended to cause problems with cars not under warranty. I just have had too many friends and even myself with a car with o my $20k mikes acting strange after updates. And it was always one of my Tesla’s out of warranty and never one that wasn’t

Last edited:
I am happy, but you know...
The things that bothers me most with my S85 is the reduced charging rate (since batterygate), the prospect of being severely capped at any new update (so far i've just been mildly capped) and the fact that i can't make it to a holiday/weekend house i have without supercharging (which i could make with the 100D).
I don't care about Netflix, Caraoke, farts or other sh*t like that.

It's difficult/impossible to tell someone what makes them happy, but that sure doesn't sound like enough grease for the hinge on my wallet.

Limiting charging speed just means your long trips (that require supercharging) will take a few minutes longer. Less range means you might have to make a stop. I don't think these are even 1st world problems - maybe 0.1 world problems. Free supercharging isn't worth that much from a dollar perspective, and supercharging a lot may lead to quicker degradation. I don't have free supercharging, and even though I've taken my car on several road trips long enough to need it, I've shelled out $77.90 for about 900 miles of range. A good chunk of those were on its 750 mile maiden voyage back home. Maybe worth a couple hundred bucks total over the course of a year? Peanuts compared to a $16k upgrade.

That said, I didn't need to buy my first Model S either. Even if all goes well, I will still piss away a lot more money in depreciation in 3 years than an Accord, but it's not always about making financial sense if you can afford it and you think you'll get that much enjoyment out of it.

Definitely do it cause the chances are you are going to start spending a lot of money on repairs if you haven’t already. So just having the 4yr warranty will take away a lot of stress as well as anger when do end up forking over chunks of money on a car that ain’t worth much.

I also have some issues with Tesla I believe doing over the air updates that are intended to cause problems with cars not under warranty. I just have had too many friends and even myself with a car with o my $20k mikes acting strange after updates. And it was always one of my Tesla’s out of warranty and never one that wasn’t

My S85 has been out of Tesla general warranty for more than a year, but (like i've said on my first post) it has already had lots of important parts replaced since then, fortunately under the extended warranty i purchased.
Which, on the other hand, means those parts that have been replaced are new and, supposedly, won't be a problem in the next coming years.