Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conti PureContact™ LS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too am interested in how these tires perform on the Teslas compared to OEM or any others.

I ran two sets of Contintentals on my previous car - Acura TL. First set were the ExtremeContact DWS, and the second the PureContact. I loved them both since they really balanced ride comfort, noise, and handling in Dry/Wet/Snow (DWS). I think some top end Goodyear's and Michelin's are tested to be a little better, but you'll pay 50% to 100% more per tire.

Here's a couple TireRack reviews on the PureContact LS from a couple Tesla owners:
https://www.tirerack.com/survey/Sur...ontact+LS&fromTireDetail=true&tirePageLocQty=

Unless convinced otherwise, the next tires for my Model S will be Continentals.

I was down to 4/32" tread on my Goodyear Eagle OEM tires (got 34,900mi / 56,000km out of them) and wanted to replace them before a big upcoming road trip I'm taking.

I just put on Continental PureContact LS (19") on my 2017 Model S 100D (w/OEM Slipstream wheels) today. Leaving on a 5000 mi (8000km) road trip on Thursday so I'll report back on wh/mi compared to previously as well as handling and other factors once I get back.

I was down to 4/32" tread on my Goodyear Eagle OEM tires (got 34,900mi / 56,000km out of them) and wanted to replace them before a big upcoming road trip I'm taking.

I just put on Continental PureContact LS (19") on my 2017 Model S 100D (w/OEM Slipstream wheels) today. Leaving on a 5000 mi (8000km) road trip on Thursday so I'll report back on wh/mi compared to previously as well as handling and other factors once I get back.
I trust that your road trip went well.

When you have the chance, please post your thoughts on the PureContact LS.
Thanks,

I trust that your road trip went well.

When you have the chance, please post your thoughts on the PureContact LS.
Thanks,

Sorry for the late response. The the road trip ended up being a little longer than I expected. 11498km (7145mi) total. Here is the rough map of where I went:
2020-08-23 13.38.02.jpg

Facts about the trip:

• I had the Continental PureContact LS (19") on my 2017 Model S 100D (w/OEM Slipstream wheels) the entire trip. I put them on brand new right before the trip (I might have put 30 or 40km on them before the trip started).
  • The trip was roughly Aug 1st til Aug 23rd
  • The final week of the trip (from San Fran til Grand Junction) was HOT. 43°C / 110°F on average (yes, average)
  • 190.1Wh/km or 306Wh/mi was my average energy usage across the entire trip.
  • I'm an idiot and forgot to record the exact average speed, but I believe it was around 104km/h / 65mph

Here is my short review:
  • First impression is that they are QUIET. By a lot. My partner even commented on it without me saying anything when we did the first drive with them. They are definitely quieter than the Goodyear Eagle OEM tires I had on before.
  • Great traction in both dry and wet. Handling is about what you would expect for a Grand Touring tire; not super squishy but also not the same response as sport tires
  • Based on my daily commute since I've been back from my trip, my energy usage has dropped about 3-9Wh/km or 5-15Wh/mi compared to the Goodyears.

Sorry for the late response. The the road trip ended up being a little longer than I expected. 11498km (7145mi) total. Here is the rough map of where I went:
View attachment 589738

Facts about the trip:

• I had the Continental PureContact LS (19") on my 2017 Model S 100D (w/OEM Slipstream wheels) the entire trip. I put them on brand new right before the trip (I might have put 30 or 40km on them before the trip started).
  • The trip was roughly Aug 1st til Aug 23rd
  • The final week of the trip (from San Fran til Grand Junction) was HOT. 43°C / 110°F on average (yes, average)
  • 190.1Wh/km or 306Wh/mi was my average energy usage across the entire trip.
  • I'm an idiot and forgot to record the exact average speed, but I believe it was around 104km/h / 65mph

Here is my short review:
  • First impression is that they are QUIET. By a lot. My partner even commented on it without me saying anything when we did the first drive with them. They are definitely quieter than the Goodyear Eagle OEM tires I had on before.
  • Great traction in both dry and wet. Handling is about what you would expect for a Grand Touring tire; not super squishy but also not the same response as sport tires
  • Based on my daily commute since I've been back from my trip, my energy usage has dropped about 3-9Wh/km or 5-15Wh/mi compared to the Goodyears.
I hope you guys had a blast. No worries regarding the delayed response, you were conducting a thorough evaluation of the Cont's. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. Your response was timely. Switching back to the 19" Slipstreams and all seasons before our trip to Oregon next month. Better traction, quieter and improved Wh/mi vs the OEM Goodyear's? Sounds like the PureContact LS will be replacing our Goodyear's as well.

Let me chime in with my 2018 Tesla 3 LR rwd experience....

I finally replaced the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 (235/45R/18) on May 11, 2020
Total miles driven on Michelin tires were ~ 69,000 km (42,700 mi)

On May 11, 2020 I installed the Continetal PureContact LS tire (245/40R/19)*
*NB. I mounted new Titan 7 forged wheels in 19" upsize

Total driven kilometres: 84,453 (52,360 mi)

In almost 6 months of driving this year, I've accumulated 15,600 km (9672 mi)

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
1. So much quieter than OEM Michelins
2 handling is much improved over OEM
3. Very little energy penalty for larger & wider tire

TOTAL ENERGY USAGE:

Michelin Primacy 235/45/18.
69,000 kilometres
13,816 kWh
164 Wh/ km

Continental PureContact 245/40/19
15,600 kilometres
2644 kWh
169 Wh/ km

The increased energy usage works out to 3% more. (169-164=5 Wh/km. 5/169=3%)

Let me chime in with my 2018 Tesla 3 LR rwd experience....

I finally replaced the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 (235/45R/18) on May 11, 2020
Total miles driven on Michelin tires were ~ 69,000 km (42,700 mi)

On May 11, 2020 I installed the Continetal PureContact LS tire (245/40R/19)*
*NB. I mounted new Titan 7 forged wheels in 19" upsize

Total driven kilometres: 84,453 (52,360 mi)

In almost 6 months of driving this year, I've accumulated 15,600 km (9672 mi)

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
1. So much quieter than OEM Michelins
2 handling is much improved over OEM
3. Very little energy penalty for larger & wider tire

TOTAL ENERGY USAGE:

Michelin Primacy 235/45/18.
69,000 kilometres
13,816 kWh
164 Wh/ km

Continental PureContact 245/40/19
15,600 kilometres
2644 kWh
169 Wh/ km

The increased energy usage works out to 3% more. (169-164=5 Wh/km. 5/169=3%)
Would you say that the energy usage increased because of the tire itself, or because you went up to a 19" size that is likely wider? I've got Continental ProContact RX that came with my vehicle on the stock 19" rims, and am looking at either getting the same tires or the PureContact LS.