Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental EC DWS06 255/40 R18 tires on RWD M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I wore out the factory tires on my M3 in 17K miles, I could have stretched it to 20K but winter is in full swing and I had puncture that was kept leaking after repair. Replacement costs are rather high at $280/ tire for the factory Michelin.

I didn't like the rather narrow tires 235/45 so I had them throw on some 255/40 Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires since I liked those on my Chevy volt. Well see if these hold up any better but I doubt it. But I do like the extra width for more wheel protection and the look is much better and these are a full $100 less per tire than the factory Michelin. Taking a trip this weekend to Spokane and I will let you know what the range difference is and if there is any rubbing.

First impressions. Definitely louder more at freeway speed unnoticeable at 50mph or less. Better grip for sure both for launch and cornering seems to point better and stay on track that I have chosen. Love the way they look!

Attachments

• 20190111_122319_HDR.jpg
    20190111_122319_HDR.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 1,865
Still running 44 PSI feel a little stiff but no more than the originals. Might drop it to 40 PSI for a test. Winter range is suffering though. I was getting pretty consistent at 280Wh/mile in the winter driving back and forth to work. With these tires I'm seeing 300-310 Wh/mile.

That will drop me to winter range from 260 to 232 miles. That's with the wheel covers off. I should easy get 10 - 15% back if I put them on for trips. I took a drive in the mountain twisty roads over the weekend very spirited and they felt really good. The corner holding is huge!

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
The speedometer is now also off by 1-2 MPH at 60. These are slightly smaller diameter. Anyone know how to reset/calibrate the speedo?
I'd be interested if there is anything for this. I've looked around, and can't find anyway to do it.

However spec sheet has the ExtremeContact 255/40R18 at 799 revs/mile and the stock 18" MXM4s are 790. You should only be losing only about 0.67 MPH on your speedo at 60 MPH? I guess slightly higher compared to 19" or 20" (which are 787 revs/mile), but still under 1MPH.

So took a trip to Spokane this weekend its about 300 miles at 44 PSI with the wheel covers. Going over I did my usual 77 mph on I90. I averaged pretty high about 370 wh/mile.

On the way back I took Highway 2 which is slower 65 mph and I got 330 wh/mile so these definitely use more energy. My guess is somewhere around 20-25% more energy avg temp outside was 32 deg F and inside was 70 deg F.

These tires/profile make a 300 mile range car quickly a 200 mile range car or less in the winter. Since I came from an older S85 with about the same range that no big deal but for some they might not like it.

So you will be stopping at more superchargers for a little longer. Oh BTW the speed never corrected. I am still off by about 2 MPH according to my GPS.

I love those tires, the UTQG is 560 which is top tier given the performance. Had them on my Model S, my BMW and once the OEM ice skates wear out they will go on the Model 3.

I might go for the 245/45/ZR18 instead of the factory 235/45/R18, but 255 seems like overkill and detrimental to range.

Hat tip to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus, which was also an excellent tire with phenomenal tread life (700 UTQG!).

DWS06 are the best overall tire and bang for buck out there
I might go for the 245/45/ZR18 instead
This was my thinking. I haven't checked elsewhere yet but due to the way Tirerack prices tires, the 245/45 are even cheaper, at $170. Knocking off $430 of a full set compared the factor tires spec for a tire of this quality is very tempting.

The range loss is going to be a bit hard to swallow, though. Not for cost, just for the range. Hopefully the 245/45 will be a bit more gentle on that front, and it might ultimately push me to stock size anyway. As well, in rain and snow more narrow isn't a bad place to be.

I have the Conti DWS06 on another car. Traction in the wet and dry roads is really good. Cornering is good also.

Tires are good. A 255 tire on a 8.5” wide wheel is pushing the lower limit. Range for a 255 is 8.5” to 10” with the ideal width 9.5”. Personally on the stock 18” I’d go stock size for the street or 245/45/18 for the track.

I love those tires, the UTQG is 560 which is top tier given the performance. Had them on my Model S, my BMW and once the OEM ice skates wear out they will go on the Model 3.

I might go for the 245/45/ZR18 instead of the factory 235/45/R18, but 255 seems like overkill and detrimental to range.

Hat tip to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus, which was also an excellent tire with phenomenal tread life (700 UTQG!).
So did you go with the 255/45's? Im looking at 255/40's

I bought Continental DWS06 245/45 earlier this month. It actually doesn't look that great to have the rubber sticking out past the rim. Going with a 40 series might stretch them a little, but 255 would look silly. If I had it to do over I would get the factory size 235/45. I can't tell what the range penalty is yet since it got cold right as I changed tires, but given the clear increase in traction it's probably significant.