Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting close to needing new tires for the Model X and I've been looking for options. A TireRack search for the Model X returns only 4 options; the 2 OE options, Pirelli snows and some Yokohamas. I don't know why the search returns so few results, but I've confirmed the DWS 06s are available in the correct size and XL load rating. I've used them on my previous BMW X5M and X6M SAVs and have always been happy with the handling, noise and wear. Has anyone run them on the Model X? I've got the 20s, 255/45ZR20F and 275/45ZR20R.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I have them on my 22” and have been very pleased. They are lighter than other options and have low rolling resistance. Also, they have good traction on my p100DL at track but also have handled snow well. These will be my tire of choice moving forward.

I just got them installed on my 20", replacing the OEM. I went with 265/45-20 on the front (stock is 255/45-20) and the stock size 275/45-20 on the rears. I only have a couple hundred miles on them, but I like them. No noticeably traction difference from the stock summer tires and they'll hopefully last longer. Get an alignment when you change your tires. I had significant excessive wear on the inside of both rear tires, due to the Toe being out of spec. Even though these are all season, I'll still run my winter tires when it snows.

Thanks. I assumed they would be fine, but I wasn't sure if I was missing some obvious reason why they weren't being returned in a search. My experience with them on my BMWs was that they were great in the rain and light snow we get down here. Summer performance is almost as good as the pure summer tires I've run in the past but with almost double the tread life.

I did just look at the 265/45ZR20 for the front instead of the 255/45ZR20. The 265s aren't actually XL load rated, they're SL and they're $60 more per tire.

Not sure that it matters, but figured it was worth pointing out.

Last edited:
I did just look at the 265/45ZR20 for the front instead of the 255/45ZR20. The 265s aren't actually XL load rated, they're SL and they're $60 more per tire.

Good catch. In retrospec, I should have ordered the 25/45-r20's to keep with OEM spec, but the 265/45/R20s, even through they're rated SL should be okay. It's recommended that the tire is at least half the Gross axle weight rating. The front GAWR in the Model X is (3241/2) = 1620.5 lbs and the SL tire is rated at 1,984 lbs. The SL will translate into a softer ride and different turning feel, but since I neither race nor tow, I should be okay, and will get the 255 xl next time.

There are surprisingly few comments from folks using anything but the OEM tires from what I could find. I have to get new tires soon too.

I did find a few owners in the tesla support forums who said they had Yokohama Parada Spec-X and that they were going good. Given their lower price I am inclined to try them.

Do any of you who have tried the 20” DWS notice any difference in tread life or efficiency??

I've had the DWS 06s installed for 3 days now. Less than $1,000 for all 4 installed. Obviously no tread life info yet, but they do have a 25k mile tread life warranty (half the normal 50k for being staggered). My past experience with them on my X6M was that they were good for at least 20k. The X6M was almost the same weight as the MX, could be driven a lot harder in the corners with the torque vectoring and the M dynamic traction mode allowed for moderate tire spin. The aggressive camber on the X6M also wore out the rear inner edges. The tires that just came off my MX were uniformly worn, front and rear and that's with automatic lowering (to LOW) set at 50 mph. I never use very low.

I feel like the efficiency is worse, but it's also been colder this week and I've got less than 200 miles on them to compare. Given the inaccuracy of seat of the pants comparisons, I'll probably sign back up for TeslaFi to track efficiency for a while.

Handling seems great so far and noise doesn't seem much different.

• Helpful
Reactions: gfb107
Very interesting find and comparison to the tires that came on my P90D X delivered in Chicagoland.

I'm trying to understand why the ExtremeContacts are so much cheaper then the CrossContact (Contisilent foam upsell?). Did notice that the ExtremeContacts are heavier (34 vs 30 in Tirerack comparison chart below).

Q: What tires are on the Model X?
A: Continental CrossContact LX Sport; Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season; ContiSilent
Front: 265/45R20 108V XL; UTQG: 480 A A; Tirerack Per Tire: $349.25
Rear: 275/45R20 110V XL; UTQG: 480 A A; Tirerack Per Tire: $338.25
Load Index of 108 = 2205 lbs | 1000 kgs
Load Index of 110 = 2337 lbs | 1060 kgs
Speed symbol is V for 149 mph max

From the Continental site directly comparison feature:
i.imgur.com/6xkluBq.jpg
6xkluBq.jpg

From the TireRack site compare:
i.imgur.com/tRhFT2l.jpg
tRhFT2l.jpg

i.imgur.com/Kh0MYUa.jpg
Kh0MYUa.jpg

Very interesting find and comparison to the tires that came on my P90D X delivered in Chicagoland.

I'm trying to understand why the ExtremeContacts are so much cheaper then the CrossContact (Contisilent foam upsell?). Did notice that the ExtremeContacts are heavier (34 vs 30 in Tirerack comparison chart below).

One thing to consider if you didn't see my other post in this thread, the DWS 06 isn't available in a 265/45R20 XL front. There's a 255/45R20 XL and a 265/45R20 SL, the SL being about $60 more per tire. My MX came with Michelin Latitude Sport 3s in 255/45R20 on the front anyway, so I kept the same size going to the DWS 06.

One thing to consider if you didn't see my other post in this thread, the DWS 06 isn't available in a 265/45R20 XL front. There's a 255/45R20 XL and a 265/45R20 SL, the SL being about $60 more per tire. My MX came with Michelin Latitude Sport 3s in 255/45R20 on the front anyway, so I kept the same size going to the DWS 06.
Thanks for the follow up. I did see your catch for Dazureus and made a note about that. I did read about another X owner getting grief from an SC about switching between 255s and 265s which is odd to me when the factory shipped both for different brands.

I was pretty happy with my CrossContacts but the ExtremeConacts DWS06 look much better on paper (efficiency, noise, traction, and ride). Seems like a great option.

• Disagree
Reactions: buttershrimp
Thanks for the follow up. I did see your catch for Dazureus and made a note about that. I did read about another X owner getting grief from an SC about switching between 255s and 265s which is odd to me when the factory shipped both for different brands.

I was pretty happy with my CrossContacts but the ExtremeConacts DWS06 look much better on paper (efficiency, noise, traction, and ride). Seems like a great option.

So, that's actually a good point and I don't know how the car compensates for it. My X6M was staggered, with 275/40R20 front and 315/35R20 rear, but those are both 725 revs/mi, which was required to keep the center diff from burning out.

Our 275/45R20 rears are 699 revs/mi, the 265/45R20s are 707 revs/mi and the 255/45R20s are 716 revs/mi. We obviously don't have a center diff to worry about, but something needs to synchronize the RPM on the front and rear motors to compensate for the different diameter wheels. It could be automatic or it could be something that the SC has to change. Whatever method it is, it also needs to be considered if you have a square setup for winter wheels.

Although not X, put DWS06 on my roadster 2 years ago and also in my old g37xs when the dws06 first came out. Unbelievably great tires especially in rain and snow (ok the roadster never sees snow..). WRT dry, you need to wait a few hundred miles before judging, then they are excellent. No surprises, nice progressive feedback in the turns. If you are not pleased with the steering and handling up front, put 2-4 extra lbs of pressure in the front and the tires transform drastically. Gone through a list of A/S performance tires over the years. These are not better, but a step above, along with great treadlife. Another set that seem interesting are the Michelin A/S 3+...reviews say they are a bit noisy, but dry handling may be a bit better. I haven't tried these, not sure they fit X.

I just took my X90D in for it's 25K service and Tesla Service recommended that I consider new tires in the next couple of months. Given the positive reviews of the Continental DWS 06, I will likely go with these. If anyone who has had these tires for last few months suggests otherwise now, please provide that feedback.

Also, I wasn't as disappointed with the ContiSilents that came stock at delivery, like many others owners have indicated, because they got me 25k miles which is what they seem to be rated for in a staggered setup like Model X requires. Hopefully the DWS 06s are equally, if not better, in terms of road noise which is my biggest complaint about the ContiSilents...

I used the original(?) DWS on my previous vehicle, but didn't try the DWS 06 (switched to other brands) as it had just come out when my DWS were ready for replacement. The DWS was quiet at the beginning of the tread, but loud toward the end. Given that you don't like the noise from the ContiSilent (I don't either), let us know how you think they compare if you go with the DWS.

I'm having second thoughts on getting the Continental DWS 06 tires, because of what I found in the Model X Owners Manual (page 162). I'm not sure if this is really more of a "best practice" or reality of how the tires should be given the weight of the Model X? Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Here's what's stated in the Owners Manual:
Wheel and tires are matched to suit the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Replacement tires must comply with the original specification. If tires other than those specified are used, ensure that the load and speed ratings marked on the tire (see Understanding Tire Markings on page 184) equal or exceed those of the original specification.

As already stated above, the 265/45R20 front tires aren't available in an XL load and the load/speed rating on these tires is lower than what the ContiSilents are. The DWS06 are 104Y (1984 lbs and 186mph) vs. ContiSilents are 108V (2205 lbs and 149mph). The speed rating exceeds, but the load rating does not...

upload_2018-6-10_13-7-7.png

I'm having second thoughts on getting the Continental DWS 06 tires, because of what I found in the Model X Owners Manual (page 162). I'm not sure if this is really more of a "best practice" or reality of how the tires should be given the weight of the Model X? Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Here's what's stated in the Owners Manual:
Wheel and tires are matched to suit the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Replacement tires must comply with the original specification. If tires other than those specified are used, ensure that the load and speed ratings marked on the tire (see Understanding Tire Markings on page 184) equal or exceed those of the original specification.

As already stated above, the 265/45R20 front tires aren't available in an XL load and the load/speed rating on these tires is lower than what the ContiSilents are. The DWS06 are 104Y (1984 lbs and 186mph) vs. ContiSilents are 108V (2205 lbs and 149mph). The speed rating exceeds, but the load rating does not...

View attachment 308418
That's why I bought the 255/45ZR20 DWS06 for the front. If it's a valid OE tire size, I don't see any reason to go with the 265 front when it's non XL rated. The 255 DWS06 is 105Y, just like the OE Michelin.

Have had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 installed for 2 months now on MXP90D with 22" wheels replacing the factory Goodyear F1's from 2016. Very happy with grip whether for speed or weather. Quieter than the F1's and comfortable riding. Sidewalls don't seem as stiff but no cornering degradation. I wanted a performance all-season/weather tire and this has fit the bill. All in all, very happy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc