Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How bad is the lower rating on the 265s? It's only about 55 lbs per front corner and the tires are rated for far more than (1/4 of) the GVWR of the car anyway. Or is the SL vs XL rating more significant than the load rating number?

Towing would stress the rear tires (with a much higher 110 rating) more than the fronts.

Reactions: sramzan
I took advantage of triple rebates (Black Friday, Continental, military) today at Discount Tire to purchase a set of ExtremeContact DWS 06.

As others have stated, the 265/45R20 (front tires) only come with a 104Y rating which should be fine for my MX 75D. The 104 rating is 1984 lbs, and the front GAWR for my car is 3241 lbs. So half of the axle rating is 1620 lbs, which is well below the 1984 lb tire rating. However, Discount Tire would not sell me this tire in the 265/45R20 size because their computer kept indicating that it did not meet load requirements for a 2016 MX 75D.

So, I ended up buying the ExtremeContacts in the 255/45R20 size for the front. I won't be able to report back with any impressions for a while...I put on my 19" winter tire/wheel set today, and just dropped off my 20" wheels, not the whole car, to get the ExtremeContacts mounted.

I do need to have Tesla check my alignment. I only drive in "Standard" suspension height, but my right rear tire was warn 2/32" more than the other three tires, and worn more on the inboard side than outboard.

I just got them installed on my 20", replacing the OEM. I went with 265/45-20 on the front (stock is 255/45-20) and the stock size 275/45-20 on the rears. I only have a couple hundred miles on them, but I like them. No noticeably traction difference from the stock summer tires and they'll hopefully last longer. Get an alignment when you change your tires. I had significant excessive wear on the inside of both rear tires, due to the Toe being out of spec. Even though these are all season, I'll still run my winter tires when it snows.

1 year update. I just swapped my Continental DWS 06 for my winter tires. They've performed well but I'm disappointed by how much wear the rear tires have after just one year.

Drivers side rear
20181202_114133.jpg

Passenger side rear
20181202_114154.jpg

The fronts don't have this much wear and both the rears are at or very near the wear bars after just one year and maybe 15k miles. I do have a P90D, but don't tear out of every stop light. When I got these installed, I had a wheel alignment done to fix the uneven wear pattern on the stock tires. The wear on these looks even, but seems excessive considering they were the highest tread wear available on tire rack. They'll need to be replaced, and I'll probably just go with the same until the fronts need replacing too, but it's disappointing that I need to replace my tires every year. I would expect this from high performance summer tires, but didn't expect it from all season tires.

1 year update. I just swapped my Continental DWS 06 for my winter tires. They've performed well but I'm disappointed by how much wear the rear tires have after just one year.

Drivers side rear
View attachment 357496

Passenger side rear
View attachment 357497

The fronts don't have this much wear and both the rears are at or very near the wear bars after just one year and maybe 15k miles. I do have a P90D, but don't tear out of every stop light. When I got these installed, I had a wheel alignment done to fix the uneven wear pattern on the stock tires. The wear on these looks even, but seems excessive considering they were the highest tread wear available on tire rack. They'll need to be replaced, and I'll probably just go with the same until the fronts need replacing too, but it's disappointing that I need to replace my tires every year. I would expect this from high performance summer tires, but didn't expect it from all season tires.
Keep in mind, this is an ultra high performance all-season tire. It's basically a compromise of a little bit of summer performance for a tire that can actually function in the cold or in a light snow. In my experience on my BMWs, they were slightly better tread life than summer only tires, but not much. I was hoping to get 16-17k out of mine, but looks like 15k and I'm on the bars.

Guess I'm off to Discount Tire to see how much credit I'll get towards the next set.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spectrum
I guess I need to check ours... it is almost 1 year and just saw that it got 15.6K miles. Although I don't think they are that bad because we just took it to the tire shop last month to patch a screw. I would think they would tell us if the tires are worn because they would want to sell us new tires.. as the patch was free.

I've got 21,000+ on my Continental Extreme Contacts and they are now at the wearbar so need to replace. I've been very pleased with them but was wondering if anyone has found tires other than the Extreme Contacts they recommend for an all season replacement on the Model X? They lasted considerably longer than the original Conti-Silents, are quieter than the Silents, gives a really nice ride but there is about a 10% hit to range with the Extreme Contacts.

Anyone found an All-Season nice-riding tire that also gives good mileage or is that mutually exclusive?

14,007 miles, rears at 2/32, fronts at 6/32. Thought I was closer to 15k, but guess not.

Replacing only the rears, $195 installed after the $344 pro-rated credit for tread wear.

I really don't think there's anything that's going to survive a P100D without compromising on handling. Still a better choice hands down than OEM, since they had no tread wear warranty.

I've got 21,000+ on my Continental Extreme Contacts and they are now at the wearbar so need to replace. I've been very pleased with them but was wondering if anyone has found tires other than the Extreme Contacts they recommend for an all season replacement on the Model X? They lasted considerably longer than the original Conti-Silents, are quieter than the Silents, gives a really nice ride but there is about a 10% hit to range with the Extreme Contacts.

Anyone found an All-Season nice-riding tire that also gives good mileage or is that mutually exclusive?

I ended up going with Nokian WRG3 from SimpleTire. It's an "All Weather" tire that's geared more towards snow. I chose it due to the high rate of wear typical snow tires get; and this had a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty.

So far, I love the cold weather performance. It's significantly better than the Conti Silents and DWS06, the ride is comfortable as well and not too loud despite not having the foam cancellation. The mileage is also good on these. I've been able to get as low as 250wh/mi on these and average about 350wh/mi in the cold. For comparison, I was typically around 385wh/mi on the Conti-Silents, and about 420wh/mi on 22's w/Pirelli's in the summer.

On the negative side, the compromises are obvious on this tire - at least to me. Specifically on higher highway speeds (75mph+) I personally can feel the tire - waddle if you will. Turns feel numb and uninspiring, and I find myself driving significantly slower and less aggressive with these tires. I do caveat all of this with - I am able to feel this. Nobody else in my family who drives this car feels any of this and swears I'm crazy. Everyone else doesn't notice a difference between the OEM contisilents and the DWS06, or the WRG3s.

Reactions: Harvey Danger

Looking back at my service requests and dates, I was off about how much mileage I got from these Continentals. I'm guessing it's closer to 23k miles, which is still less than I would have thought to get. Tirerack has some tire options with higher treadwear ratings that weren't available when I last purchased tires. I might look into those as options, specifically the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. It comes in 265/45/20 for the fronts and 275/45/20 for the rears and has a treadwear of 740. It's an "ecoimpact" tire, so it's supposed to have less rolling resistance, which is similar to the OEM tires.

Looking back at my service requests and dates, I was off about how much mileage I got from these Continentals. I'm guessing it's closer to 23k miles, which is still less than I would have thought to get. Tirerack has some tire options with higher treadwear ratings that weren't available when I last purchased tires. I might look into those as options, specifically the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. It comes in 265/45/20 for the fronts and 275/45/20 for the rears and has a treadwear of 740. It's an "ecoimpact" tire, so it's supposed to have less rolling resistance, which is similar to the OEM tires.
This was one a buddy and I had looked at, please let us know what you find out

I didn't see the Verde A/S Plus on Tirerack, but they show in America's Tire web site. The fronts are only H rated at that size.

The OEM tires on the America's Tire site seem to be dramatically lower in price today than last week - almost $30/tire.

I’ve been using the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus in those sizes over th past 2 months. They’ve been solid, happy with the choice. I have noticed only a marginal increase in wh/mi compared to contisilents, maybe 5-10 wh/mi more. I only have a 60d so my max speed is 130mph anyways (H rating). I will get these next time I need to replace the tire, saved $800 at the time compared to having Tesla SC replace them with OEM tires.

Yeah, the fronts would be H rated and the rears would be V. Do you not think that H speed rating is enough?
H is rated to 130 MPH so it depends on how fast you want to go, but that isn't the end of the story.

In order to get a V or a Y rating (149 or 186 MPH), the tire construction has to be beefed up a bit and often that improves handling. Here is an article from Consumer Reports that talks about speed ratings (FWIW):

H-Rated Tires with Shorter Life Spans - Consumer Reports

For owners looking at tire replacement, we don’t recommend downgrading because it introduces a safety risk. Tires with higher speed ratings generally have better steering response and cornering grip than lower-speed rated tires, in addition to being capable of higher speeds. So if your car originally came with H-rated tires, that’s what you should replace them with. After all, the automaker spent millions on testing the car with that specific configuration, including suspension and braking systems.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'm getting close to needing new tires for the Model X and I've been looking for options. A TireRack search for the Model X returns only 4 options; the 2 OE options, Pirelli snows and some Yokohamas. I don't know why the search returns so few results, but I've confirmed the DWS 06s are available in the correct size and XL load rating. I've used them on my previous BMW X5M and X6M SAVs and have always been happy with the handling, noise and wear. Has anyone run them on the Model X? I've got the 20s, 255/45ZR20F and 275/45ZR20R.

Stay away from Continentals. Catastrophic blowout at 15k miles. They weren't at all interested in even a penny of reimbursement.
Had my Perellis now for 10K and they are like new with 50K guarantee. $238 at Discount Tire, far better than the $400 ea for Continental Garbage from Tesla

Hey all, been following this thread and am curious to see if anyone has any updates. I did a little digging and my '17 MX specs 255/45R20 for the fronts, but the latest MX manual available online lists the Continental fronts at 265/45R20. I wonder if there was a policy change somewhere in there? I am guessing either will work regardless of model year. If you go to Tire Rack and do a search, the 2016 MX lists 265 and the 2017 lists 255. I didn't check the 2018. I have 21k miles and my rears are getting pretty bad. Looking at either the Continentals or the Pirellis as replacements. Thanks for the info!

RH