Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, been following this thread and am curious to see if anyone has any updates. I did a little digging and my '17 MX specs 255/45R20 for the fronts, but the latest MX manual available online lists the Continental fronts at 265/45R20. I wonder if there was a policy change somewhere in there? I am guessing either will work regardless of model year. If you go to Tire Rack and do a search, the 2016 MX lists 265 and the 2017 lists 255. I didn't check the 2018. I have 21k miles and my rears are getting pretty bad. Looking at either the Continentals or the Pirellis as replacements. Thanks for the info!

RH
@xrobva , yes, Tesla delivered the MX with both the 265s and 255s for the front. My 2016 MX calls out the 265s.
But here is the problem I ran into. I bought the Extreme Contact DW06s at the local Discount Tire in Colorado. Even though the specs on the 265s show a load rating greater than one half of the front axle max gross weight rating, DT wouldn't sell them to me because their computer showed it as incompatible with the MX (due to load rating). Oddly, the 255s have a higher rating and DT shows it compatible with the MX.
So I ended up buying the 255s for the front tires. I can't give you any feedback on handling yet with the new tires...I still have my snow tires on.

A quick update based on my earlier post in this thread, but here's my feedback on these tires:

• Contrary to my earlier post of concern when I first had the tires and had only driven about 3k miles, the efficiency has significantly improved. Now that the tires have "worn in" and have been on the vehicle several months, and about 8k miles now, I've seen a dramatic improvement on not just overall wH/mi efficiency, but my 90% charge has actually been consistently higher (221-225 miles). I'm not sure if this is 100% related to the DSW 06 tires, or if Tesla has somehow updated it's algorithm. Regardless and bottom line, these tires once driven at least 5k miles have helped improve my driving efficiency.
  • Road noise is still better than the OEM tires, but not dramatically. The reality is, Teslas are always going to have road noise, given they do not have an engine to drown it out, and until they either improve the overall sound barriers that they design/install on the vehicles. However, it is less noise than the OEM tires and it's somewhat noticeable.
  • Ride quality is equivalent to or slightly better than OEM ContiSilents

Overall, I would recommend these tires as of now and would purchase them again. I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions.

@Solarman004 I checked my tires and even though the 2017 manual spec-ed both (depending on Michelin vs Continental), I have the Conti 265s on the front now. Clearly they'll both work, but Tesla has settled on 265s (at least as far as the current owners manual is concerned). Tire Rack has the 255s for cheaper, and they have the XL rating, so I'll likely go that route when I change mine out in the spring.

@xrobva , yes, Tesla delivered the MX with both the 265s and 255s for the front. My 2016 MX calls out the 265s.
But here is the problem I ran into. I bought the Extreme Contact DW06s at the local Discount Tire in Colorado. Even though the specs on the 265s show a load rating greater than one half of the front axle max gross weight rating, DT wouldn't sell them to me because their computer showed it as incompatible with the MX (due to load rating). Oddly, the 255s have a higher rating and DT shows it compatible with the MX.
So I ended up buying the 255s for the front tires. I can't give you any feedback on handling yet with the new tires...I still have my snow tires on.

Reactions: Kacey Green
So I seemed to have made it farther than most on my Contis. 4/32 left at 46k, not bad for Michigan roads. Now, my vehicle is down at the SC and they want $1600 to put new shoes on and I can get them for $1200. Problem is, where do I get an alignment if I don't have the SC do the swap? Kind of stuck behind a $400 rock and a $400 hard place.....

• Love
Reactions: J__T
So I seemed to have made it farther than most on my Contis. 4/32 left at 46k, not bad for Michigan roads. Now, my vehicle is down at the SC and they want $1600 to put new shoes on and I can get them for $1200. Problem is, where do I get an alignment if I don't have the SC do the swap? Kind of stuck behind a $400 rock and a $400 hard place.....

You could buy from somewhere else, then return to Tesla and have them do the alignment (for a fee). But how far away is your car? Cleveland, Columbus? Given you are in Michigan where Teslas are still illegal to sell or service, my suggestion would be to just pull the trigger and buy from the SC. I will probably do that anyway, even though my SC is local to me. Just not worth the hassle for $400.

Looks like you are coming up for your 50k mi maintenance. If you bought the prepaid annual maintenance package, alignment check and adjustment is included. I just had mine done at the 37,500 mile maintenance.

Unfortunately, they sent my vehicle back before I could tell them to do it. But, I spoke with the SC and they actually recommended I buy them from Tire Rack due to both the price and the warranty. They also referred me to a Ferrari dealership near me that is authorized to perform alignments. So, it all worked out and I saved a few bucks.

14,007 miles, rears at 2/32, fronts at 6/32. Thought I was closer to 15k, but guess not.

Replacing only the rears, $195 installed after the $344 pro-rated credit for tread wear.

I really don't think there's anything that's going to survive a P100D without compromising on handling. Still a better choice hands down than OEM, since they had no tread wear warranty.
Well, 6000 miles later and the fronts are at 3/32. Total mileage on the fronts was 20k and since they have a 50k warranty I was credited $230 for the pair. With credit, replacements were $87 a piece, $236 total installed.

Rears are at right between 6 and 7/32, so pretty much on target for replacement again at 14k.

Still happy with the choice, they handle great and nothing is going to last the way I drive.

Well, 6000 miles later and the fronts are at 3/32. Total mileage on the fronts was 20k and since they have a 50k warranty I was credited $230 for the pair. With credit, replacements were $87 a piece, $236 total installed.

Rears are at right between 6 and 7/32, so pretty much on target for replacement again at 14k.

Still happy with the choice, they handle great and nothing is going to last the way I drive.

How are you driving?!? And what are you driving on?

Just adding my 2 cents worth - I have a X100D with 22" Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S. Down to 6/32 on each tire (evenly worn) after 12,000 miles and 8 month in San Diego with moderately aggressive driving. Hope I make it to 20,000 miles on these these before switching. I would definitely consider getting Continental DWS 06's for comparison...since it seems like I'll be going through a set of tires yearly.

After two highway speed blowouts and absolutely no compensation from Continental, I wouldn't even consider Continentals for my bicycle. Got 54,000 miles from my Pirelli Scorpion All Season Verde with 65,000 warranty
Do you think you hit something on the road? I had 36K on my 1st X and have 45K on my 2nd X and have not had anything but good wear and performance from the Continentals.

I only got about 20k out of the rear CrossContact LX™ Sports tires even after Tesla did an alignment. I'm going to get the alignment checked again. I thought the local non Tesla mechanic was going to replace them with the same tires, but he put CrossContact™ LX25s on instead. They seem like better tires. Is there a problem with running Sports in the front and LX25s in the rear? I wish I had read this thread earlier. I probably would have gone with the extreme contacts others are having such a good experience with.

Do you think you hit something on the road? I had 36K on my 1st X and have 45K on my 2nd X and have not had anything but good wear and performance from the Continentals.

Glad to hear you got a good set.
No obstacle. I had just left TESLA Orlando on the way home. My visit included a tread check. 48 miles away the tire air warning came on and kept going down. Stopped at 28 PSI to find out that the outer tread had separated from the main tire and steel belt was exposed and shredded. Had to wait for a flat bed. Fortunately I was under the 50 mile range and it was covered, unlike the cost of the two new Continentals at about $400 each. Continental was resolute in not addressing any compensation after weeks and hours of persistence. Have hears similar stories from other TESLA Model X owners (of course it didn't take long for the Continentals to wear out). Later switched to Pirelli All Season Scorpion Verda with 65,000 mile warranty. When I sold my 2016 MODEL X, still had 7 Tread on it with over 20,000 miles logged. Quiet, durable, well handling tire for $220 each.

Unfortunately I have Continentals on my new X. Very important for any new TESLA purchaser to check their tire tread upon delivery of the car. I took the MODEL XD back to TESLA about a two weeks after I owned it to have the LUDICROUS mode downloaded and they did a tread check at 1242 miles. The "new" Continentals read tread depth of 7 all the way around. So, either Continental is selling TESLA a separate tire with less tread for new vehicles or the Continentals wear out faster than a cheetah with it's ass on fire. Just had the tires rotated (side to side) because the edges are wearing rapidly at 10312 miles. Edges are near bare. The Continental Congress has ruled for me. Will get them off of the new Model X at the earliest opportunity, if they don't fall off first.

Buyer beware.

Scorpion™ Verde All Season - SUV and Crossover tire | Pirelli
Guaranteed tread wear of 65K miles.

Glad to hear you got a good set.
No obstacle. I had just left TESLA Orlando on the way home. My visit included a tread check. 48 miles away the tire air warning came on and kept going down. Stopped at 28 PSI to find out that the outer tread had separated from the main tire and steel belt was exposed and shredded. Had to wait for a flat bed. Fortunately I was under the 50 mile range and it was covered, unlike the cost of the two new Continentals at about $400 each. Continental was resolute in not addressing any compensation after weeks and hours of persistence. Have hears similar stories from other TESLA Model X owners (of course it didn't take long for the Continentals to wear out). Later switched to Pirelli All Season Scorpion Verda with 65,000 mile warranty. When I sold my 2016 MODEL X, still had 7 Tread on it with over 20,000 miles logged. Quiet, durable, well handling tire for $220 each.

Unfortunately I have Continentals on my new X. Very important for any new TESLA purchaser to check their tire tread upon delivery of the car. I took the MODEL XD back to TESLA about a two weeks after I owned it to have the LUDICROUS mode downloaded and they did a tread check at 1242 miles. The "new" Continentals read tread depth of 7 all the way around. So, either Continental is selling TESLA a separate tire with less tread for new vehicles or the Continentals wear out faster than a cheetah with it's ass on fire. Just had the tires rotated (side to side) because the edges are wearing rapidly at 10312 miles. Edges are near bare. The Continental Congress has ruled for me. Will get them off of the new Model X at the earliest opportunity, if they don't fall off first.

Buyer beware.

Scorpion™ Verde All Season - SUV and Crossover tire | Pirelli
Guaranteed tread wear of 65K miles.

what should be a reasonable tread depth for a new car delivery with continentals? Anyone have advice on when to make noise on this? I assume 11?

what should be a reasonable tread depth for a new car delivery with continentals? Anyone have advice on when to make noise on this? I assume 11?

The tire industry standard for tread depth in the United States is measured in one thirty-second of an inch (1/32") increments (millimeters are used in countries observing metric standards). New tires typically start with a tread depth of 10/32" to 12/32", with some off-road tires topping 15/32".

10/32" (see below) spec. I'm at 8/32" after 8K miles. I was at 4 or 5/32" after 39K on my first tire change.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ossContact+LX+Sport&partnum=645VR0CCLXSXLCOSI
Ce56iWL.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: J__T