Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear you got a good set.
No obstacle. I had just left TESLA Orlando on the way home. My visit included a tread check. 48 miles away the tire air warning came on and kept going down. Stopped at 28 PSI to find out that the outer tread had separated from the main tire and steel belt was exposed and shredded. Had to wait for a flat bed. Fortunately I was under the 50 mile range and it was covered, unlike the cost of the two new Continentals at about $400 each. Continental was resolute in not addressing any compensation after weeks and hours of persistence. Have hears similar stories from other TESLA Model X owners (of course it didn't take long for the Continentals to wear out). Later switched to Pirelli All Season Scorpion Verda with 65,000 mile warranty. When I sold my 2016 MODEL X, still had 7 Tread on it with over 20,000 miles logged. Quiet, durable, well handling tire for $220 each.

Unfortunately I have Continentals on my new X. Very important for any new TESLA purchaser to check their tire tread upon delivery of the car. I took the MODEL XD back to TESLA about a two weeks after I owned it to have the LUDICROUS mode downloaded and they did a tread check at 1242 miles. The "new" Continentals read tread depth of 7 all the way around. So, either Continental is selling TESLA a separate tire with less tread for new vehicles or the Continentals wear out faster than a cheetah with it's ass on fire. Just had the tires rotated (side to side) because the edges are wearing rapidly at 10312 miles. Edges are near bare. The Continental Congress has ruled for me. Will get them off of the new Model X at the earliest opportunity, if they don't fall off first.

Buyer beware.

Scorpion™ Verde All Season - SUV and Crossover tire | Pirelli
Guaranteed tread wear of 65K miles.
Thanks for the details. I bought my last set from TireRack for $310 each and <$100 install. I may consider another tire in the future. Added your choice to a spreadsheet I started several months back.

Any noticeable change with Wh/mile? They are a little heavier and wider. See spec below and Continentals in above post.

Aside from prev post: I'm at 8/32" after 8K miles. I was at 4 or 5/32" after 39K on my first tire change.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Zero+All+Season+Plus&frontTire=645YR0SZASPXL&rearTire=745YR0SZASPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model X 100D&autoModClar=265/45-20F 275/45-20R
O5CbTUV.jpg

Last edited:
I am interested to see what others think or would do in this situation. I am about to buy 4 of the Conti EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06 (265/35r22) I picked up a set of 22" black turbines that are 4 front rims (4 x 22X9.0) The condition and price was to good to pass up. Would you oversize the rear tires on the 9" rim and run a staggered 265 Front 275 Rear or would you run a set of 4 at 265 so they could then be rotated and keep the 50k tread life warranty?

I am leaning towards running a set of 4 at 265 due to the increased warranty and ability to extend the life potentially by rotating. I have an impact gun and a garage so swapping tires/ rotating is not an issue for me. I was used to swapping from summer to winter rims on my old S.

I am leaning towards running a set of 4 at 265 due to the increased warranty and ability to extend the life potentially by rotating. I have an impact gun and a garage so swapping tires/ rotating is not an issue for me. I was used to swapping from summer to winter rims on my old S.
This is probably what I'd do, except I want to know something I don't know, and that is how does this NOT affect traction control and the like? I understand it's not going to damage the drivetrain since the electric motors can spin freely anyway, but I don't understand how the traction stuff (and potentially speedometer) can be right if you can't tell the vehicle you're running a tire with a circumference different than the OEM tire. Perhaps I've made a faulty assumption and the stability systems do not need to compare front and rear axle speeds, but I don't know where to find good information to confirm this.

This is probably what I'd do, except I want to know something I don't know, and that is how does this NOT affect traction control and the like? I understand it's not going to damage the drivetrain since the electric motors can spin freely anyway, but I don't understand how the traction stuff (and potentially speedometer) can be right if you can't tell the vehicle you're running a tire with a circumference different than the OEM tire. Perhaps I've made a faulty assumption and the stability systems do not need to compare front and rear axle speeds, but I don't know where to find good information to confirm this.

It shouldn't be an issue in this case since all 4 rims are 22" so the circumference is the same. The rear tire diameter is the only thing that would affected by this. Typically on the set of 22" the fronts are 265's and the rears are 285's. I think this is what you were referring to. Also just fyi you can adjust you rim type and size in the vehicle settings.

It shouldn't be an issue in this case since all 4 rims are 22" so the circumference is the same. The rear tire diameter is the only thing that would affected by this. Typically on the set of 22" the fronts are 265's and the rears are 285's. I think this is what you were referring to. Also just fyi you can adjust you rim type and size in the vehicle settings.
The rim size isn't really relevant, it's the tire size. 265/35R22 has a 92" circumference and 285/35R22 has a 93.7" circumference. What I mean is circumference of the tires is not the same in the OEM staggered setup, so if you switch to non-staggered tires, you are changing the circumference to be the same where it previously wasn't. While it is true that you can adjust the rim type (a relatively new feature), that is technically only designed to switch from one OEM rim option to another and may even only change the display without actually changing any stability calculations (that still may or may not even exist). However, Tesla does sell non-staggered 19" winter packages for the X, so the question isn't whether or not it's possible to have non-staggered tires and good stability control, the question is whether or not it requires special tech-only configuration. Swapping the rims yourself is convenient, having to have the service center adjust the settings afterwards would not be (although one time wouldn't be a big deal, it's the twice a year involved with a winter tire package that dissuaded me). When I bought my winter tire package, I went with the staggered 20's because my SA at the time told me they'd have to change something at the service center when the wheels were swapped if I used the 19s since they were a different size. IIRC, he also said I could have a mobile tech do it if I wanted to swap the rims myself, but that's still inconvenient. Since I didn't take the risk and have the experience, I don't know whether or not the SA was correct, whether that something had anything to do with stability or only speedometer calibration, or whether or not that something may now be dealt with via the rim selection option. In addition to all of that, I don't know if the non-staggered rims you bought are available OEM non-staggered for the X or whether such a configuration would include non-staggered tires (because, again, the rim size doesn't matter, it's the tire size that matters).

Reactions: Tesseract
The rim size isn't really relevant, it's the tire size. 265/35R22 has a 92" circumference and 285/35R22 has a 93.7" circumference. What I mean is circumference of the tires is not the same in the OEM staggered setup, so if you switch to non-staggered tires, you are changing the circumference to be the same where it previously wasn't. While it is true that you can adjust the rim type (a relatively new feature), that is technically only designed to switch from one OEM rim option to another and may even only change the display without actually changing any stability calculations (that still may or may not even exist). However, Tesla does sell non-staggered 19" winter packages for the X, so the question isn't whether or not it's possible to have non-staggered tires and good stability control, the question is whether or not it requires special tech-only configuration. Swapping the rims yourself is convenient, having to have the service center adjust the settings afterwards would not be (although one time wouldn't be a big deal, it's the twice a year involved with a winter tire package that dissuaded me). When I bought my winter tire package, I went with the staggered 20's because my SA at the time told me they'd have to change something at the service center when the wheels were swapped if I used the 19s since they were a different size. IIRC, he also said I could have a mobile tech do it if I wanted to swap the rims myself, but that's still inconvenient. Since I didn't take the risk and have the experience, I don't know whether or not the SA was correct, whether that something had anything to do with stability or only speedometer calibration, or whether or not that something may now be dealt with via the rim selection option. In addition to all of that, I don't know if the non-staggered rims you bought are available OEM non-staggered for the X or whether such a configuration would include non-staggered tires (because, again, the rim size doesn't matter, it's the tire size that matters).

I am tracking you now. I shot the question over to service to see if I would get a response back fairly quickly. I picked the rims up from someone who worked with Tesla and ran the setup for a couple years on a Model X without issue, but it would be nice to get an official answer from someone at service familiar with the matter.

210A0A52-87CF-46E5-814B-A9D57CE3CA49.jpeg B9D13E44-805C-4C2B-A6AC-459380B323D1.jpeg Any recent reviews on this tire? Just noticed my left rear tire has metal showing on the inner part of the tire. Debating on swapping all 4 out or just replacing the rears. Right now they are the Goodyear F1, and I bought the car used so I don’t have any other comparison, tread life. All of the other treads are 6/32-8/32 in the middle

I had my front axles replaced in February. They were supposed to do an alignment right? Should I get another?

I have a 2016 P90 with the 22s

Last edited:
View attachment 569002 View attachment 569003 Any recent reviews on this tire? Just noticed my left rear tire has metal showing on the inner part of the tire. Thinking of swapping all 4 out. Right now they are the Goodyear F1, and I bought the car used so I don’t have any other comparison, tread life.

I had my front axles replaced in February. They were supposed to do an alignment right? Should I get another?

I have a 2016 P90 with the 22s

I’m on them now, they ride well. I don’t know you’d need them though being in Orange County, CA. I’d probably go with a summer tire out there.

As for your tires, that’s definitely a bad alignment. They are supposed to do an alignment when they do your axles. Supposed to being the key word. It’s also possible the axles weren’t installed correctly and actually need replacing again. That wouldn’t be the first time that has happened as well

I’m on them now, they ride well. I don’t know you’d need them though being in Orange County, CA. I’d probably go with a summer tire out there.

As for your tires, that’s definitely a bad alignment. They are supposed to do an alignment when they do your axles. Supposed to being the key word. It’s also possible the axles weren’t installed correctly and actually need replacing again. That wouldn’t be the first time that has happened as well

those are the rears, and I get that they’re cambered in since I drive in low. I could see the SC possible only aligning the front (if at all) and not the rear. The fronts look fairly even.

Are the Goodyear’s considered a summer tire? Maybe I’ll just do the rears.

here’s a pic of a front

Attachments

• 85D175C2-BAC9-482E-BEF1-B8F971D3E623.jpeg
    85D175C2-BAC9-482E-BEF1-B8F971D3E623.jpeg
    633.9 KB · Views: 82
those are the rears, and I get that they’re cambered in since I drive in low. I could see the SC possible only aligning the front (if at all) and not the rear. The fronts look fairly even.

here’s a pic of a front

here’s a pic of a front

They should be doing all four for alignments. But anything could have happened during it. Not setting the suspension setting to the right height (or heck some cars needed height recalibration) not checking the tears, etc. or you could have a broke part that’s causing excessive camber.

Either way, get that solved before getting new tires. You’ll just waste your money and wear through those too. And if your fronts have good depth then you can certainly just replace the rear with the same exact tire.

I went in to my local tire dealer (Jack WIlliams) a couple weeks ago when they had a sale on Continental tires and they told me that Continental had discontinued the Extreme Contacts in the 20" sizes the X requires. He expected Continental to be releasing a new tire model that would fit the X with the required weight and speed ratings but had no idea when that would be. I don't need tires just yet and may just get the Tesla 19" wheel/tire set with Pirelli Scorpion winter tires in the Fall. Has anyone used these on an X?

I went in to my local tire dealer (Jack WIlliams) a couple weeks ago when they had a sale on Continental tires and they told me that Continental had discontinued the Extreme Contacts in the 20" sizes the X requires. He expected Continental to be releasing a new tire model that would fit the X with the required weight and speed ratings but had no idea when that would be. I don't need tires just yet and may just get the Tesla 19" wheel/tire set with Pirelli Scorpion winter tires in the Fall. Has anyone used these on an X?

The 19” combo from Tesla is a decent winter set. It’s just so darn expensive though.

For comparison, I’m selling a set of Nokian on 20” wheels for $1200. Wheels, tires, TPMS all included. You could purchase those or any used set of 20s plus a replacement set of Nokians plus mounting and balancing, and new TPMS sensors and it would still be less than the cyclone winter set from Tesla.

If you go with the used 20” route, you can now also use that wheel as a same diameter spare wheel/tire in emergencies. You can use the 19s too but it’ll be slightly off.

They are the best. Avoid Continentals at any cost. They are rolling trash. They also did not honor their warranty. Became a stranger to them when calling about two blowouts. Who are you? Click.

I just got a set of these TO OEMs delivered last week from TireRack

You (Conti owners) have my sympathies. Thank God they took them off the road. After two unprovoked blowouts and treadwear that didn't exceed 20K miles, I was so happy with my Pirelli's which at 43k miles still had 4/32" treadwear. Continental Warranty - Knock yourself out. After a wasted six months, I gave up, even on the blowouts. Buyer Beware. I can't wait to get the Contis off of my 2019 X. I can't believe TESLA puts this garbage on their performance vehicles.

I did decide to go with the extreme contacts to give them a go on my model x (265 front, 275 rear). Followed the entire thread but still unsure of which size to get for the front.

I’m really stuck on getting the 265 front that has a SL rating vs the 255 front with the XL rating. Is the rating difference something to be genuinely concerned with?

I don’t tow and don’t take it to the track. I’m an everyday NYC driver. Definitely looking for comfort but don’t want to risk the car/safety. Thoughts?