Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How bad is the lower rating on the 265s? It's only about 55 lbs per front corner and the tires are rated for far more than (1/4 of) the GVWR of the car anyway. Or is the SL vs XL rating more significant than the load rating number?

Towing would stress the rear tires (with a much higher 110 rating) more than the fronts.

+1

I’ll get whatever tire fits and meets specs from Pirelli.

3.4 out 10 Recommend the OEM Tire.

I have the OEM Pirelli Winters and I love them you can see others agree.

And summer Pirelli’s are even rated better on comfort/noise.

You can get them stagger in 20” or square in 19”.

50774146636_faf002c42e_b_d.jpg

50773397413_ef65b8d3d9_b_d.jpg

50774260732_8cf007fa6b_b_d.jpg

Oh yea the continental lx sport SUCK. Was considering the pirelli all season plus. - Thanks for the quick response btw.

Hmm ok I feel bad b/c I asked the tire shop to get the extreme contacts but you’re swaying my opinion. Continental has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. The DSW06 is supposed to be better but idk.

Edit: Weight capacity for the 255 is 2039lbs while the 265 is 1984lbs. That’s a much more narrow margin (55pbs) than expected. Almost feels like the 265 gets a SL/XL rating lol

Last edited:
You (Conti owners) have my sympathies. Thank God they took them off the road. After two unprovoked blowouts and treadwear that didn't exceed 20K miles, I was so happy with my Pirelli's which at 43k miles still had 4/32" treadwear. Continental Warranty - Knock yourself out. After a wasted six months, I gave up, even on the blowouts. Buyer Beware. I can't wait to get the Contis off of my 2019 X. I can't believe TESLA puts this garbage on their performance vehicles.
The the hell are you talking about? This is about a completely different tire :eek:

I had a set of DWS06 on a Range Rover, phenomenal winter tires, really performed well in the snow. I would fit them to my X in a heartbeat.

I have an incredibly low opinion of Pirelli however. PZeros are fitted as OEM to pretty much every high performance sports car, and they are absolute junk. First thing I (and most owners) do is change them out for Michelin Pilot Sports.

Reactions: chdavis
Just switched on 22" Model X from Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus... at first few hundred miles:
  • Continentals ride a bit higher than the Michelin’s
  • Continentals are better at absorbing large potholes/bumps
  • On smooth pavement, Continentals are worse than Michelin at absorbing vibrations
  • Continentals are slightly noisier than Michelin
  • Continentals are bouncier than Michelin
That being said the Continentals are literally half the price of the Michelin and have twice the treadwear warranty so go figure. I’m conflicted.

Just switched on 22" Model X from Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus... at first few hundred miles:
  • Continentals ride a bit higher than the Michelin’s
  • Continentals are better at absorbing large potholes/bumps
  • On smooth pavement, Continentals are worse than Michelin at absorbing vibrations
  • Continentals are slightly noisier than Michelin
  • Continentals are bouncier than Michelin
That being said the Continentals are literally half the price of the Michelin and have twice the treadwear warranty so go figure. I’m conflicted.

Those Michelins will also have a ton more lateral grip. That one would be a tough one for me.

If I'm an aggressive driver I'd probably spring for the PS4S, if I'm a daily commuter I'd probably stick with the DWS06. If I see snow on one set I'd still stick DWS06 and if I had a dedicated set of snows I'd probably still get the PS4S.

Those Michelins will also have a ton more lateral grip. That one would be a tough one for me.

If I'm an aggressive driver I'd probably spring for the PS4S, if I'm a daily commuter I'd probably stick with the DWS06. If I see snow on one set I'd still stick DWS06 and if I had a dedicated set of snows I'd probably still get the PS4S.
Absolutely agree. If you're comparing a max performance summer tire to even an ultra high performance all season, you're still talking about different performance characteristics and making some concessions. In the Charlotte area, we don't see much snow, but the low winter temps still make a max performance summer tire inappropriate for some part of the year. If I was still up north, I'd be content switching between a summer and winter tire. I've been running the DWS or DWS06 tires on all my performance vehicles for well over a decade now. I'm an aggressive driver, but not so aggressive that I really need a max performance tire. I was going to garage my BMW i8 and just drive the X during the winter, but I ended up switching even it over to the DWS06.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Tire recall: Continental needs to check 94,000 tires for possible tread loss
At least 203 tires are defective, the company said, but it needs to recall nearly 100,000 tires to be sure.
The issue at hand is the possibility for partial or total tread loss resulting from potential sudden air loss or belt edge separation.

This is exactly what happened to two of my Continental Tires on my 2016 Model X at 70 mph. Rapid decompression. Tread separation. Mangled steel belts. I was fortunate to battle steer it to a safe stop and wait several hours for a flatbed tow it to Tesla. You might not be as lucky.

As my tire dealer once said, "Continental is the most expensive poor quality tire you can buy."

Buyer Beware: Do you really want to risk your and your families' safety? I wouldn't trust these tires, even on my lawnmower.

At least 203 tires are defective, the company said, but it needs to recall nearly 100,000 tires to be sure.
The issue at hand is the possibility for partial or total tread loss resulting from potential sudden air loss or belt edge separation.

This is exactly what happened to two of my Continental Tires on my 2016 Model X at 70 mph. Rapid decompression. Tread separation. Mangled steel belts. I was fortunate to battle steer it to a safe stop and wait several hours for a flatbed tow it to Tesla. You might not be as lucky.

As my tire dealer once said, "Continental is the most expensive poor quality tire you can buy."

Buyer Beware: Do you really want to risk your and your families' safety? I wouldn't trust these tires, even on my lawnmower.

Since this is clearly objective and helpful...

Here is the link to the tires that are being recalled: 2021 Recall List
There are 3 DWS06 tires on the list, and come in the following sizes: 245/45 R 19 98Y, 245/45 R 19 98Y, 255/50 ZR 19 107W.

These are not sizes for the Model X. Making the recall information irrelevant for this thread.

But there is warning for the CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT in the 265/45 R 20 size if you are using that and would have been manufactured the last week of March 2018, going into April.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl

You are a broken record. Here is helpful information.

"Consumers who purchased any of the tires, either via the aftermarket or with their current vehicle, will receive a mailed notification in the coming weeks. From there, Continental plans to replace the tires at no cost to customers."

Continental notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the details of the recall on February 15, 2021. The company is in communication with the vehicle manufacturers to support notification of customers who purchased vehicles equipped with these tires. Owners will be promptly notified and informed about the details of the voluntary safety recall program.

Consumers seeking more information, including instructions for identifying affected tires as well as obtaining replacement tires are asked to visit Continental’s Web site Find Answers. The tires can be identified by brand, size and Department of Transportation (DOT) week codes, which can be found in a list of affected tires via the following link:
[note I had to cut-n-paste this URL - TMC issue? Anyway it downloaded a PDF then]
https://continentaltire.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/988/ . The list of tires can also be found on the NHTSA Web site.
Via: Continental Announces Tire Safety Recall of Approximately 94,000 Passenger and Light Truck Tires in U.S..

oQxwkaj.jpg

Example:
b2AJQR1.jpg

Last edited:
You are a broken record. Here is helpful information.

Nope.
Broken tires. Lots of 'em.Just read Cosumer Affairs. Buyer Beware. Continental Tires Reviews (Updated May 2021) | ConsumerAffairs

"I really thought I was losing my mind until I read these reviews. I’ve replaced 5 tires in a little of a year. On my 2016 e350 December 31, 2020 I hit a pot hole 2 blowouts.. I said okay my fault I thought... but I kept replaying in my head saying I wasn’t going that fast but I accepted it and kept moving. 6 month later I accidentally hit a curb not hard at all two blowouts... Yesterday I’m driving and back tire hits something on the road that a million other cars rode over.. I get a blowout. Yeah I’m done. They are poor tires. These have been the most blowouts I’ve had in over 30 years of driving... I’m dead serious. I don’t get blowouts and it’s more than a coincidence."

"One of my continental Pro Contact tire popped on highway and I pulled over safely to the shoulder. Upon inspection, both of my rear tires has only 1-2 millimeter tread left and due to replacement. Front ones are still fine. It advertised will last 70K miles but I only put 13K miles on them in 1 and half year period. Luckily Discount Tire able to refund me more than half of the value. Many thanks to them. I put the credit towards 4 Yokohama Advan sport A/S and wish they will work better."

"2018 Audi allroad, 3 of the 4 original tires developed sidewall bubbles between 2000-5000 miles. Replaced all 4 tires with the same Continental ProContact tx. Now at 12,000 miles a new sidewall bubble. My wife and I have lots of wonderful experiences with Bridgestone, Goodyear, Firestone, Cooper, Michelin. Never Continental again."

"My wife and I purchased a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with 14,000 miles on it and after driving the tires for only 10,000 miles, 3 of them have formed bubbles and or popped on me while driving on highways. 1 tire popping? Okay. 2? Tires popping? Something's up. 3 tires popping?!?! Continental is pure garbage. DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES."

"We lease a Mercedes c300s with Continental run flat tires and we've had nothing but problems with the tires. We’ve replaced 3 new tires in 2 years, 16000 miles. These tires should be banned, they get bubbles and blowout, and the car needs to go to dealer on a flatbed. The claim that it’s a safer tire is so inaccurate. This tire leaves you stranded and there’s no spare in the car, so you have no choice but to wait for a flatbed ti be towed to the dealer. My daughter was on the side of the road for four hours. It’s a disaster."

"I've owned my Mercedes for 2.5 years but I have had 6 blow outs or bubbles in my ContiProContact tires in normal, urban/suburban driving. After reading a few Mercedes' message boards, Ive learned that this is the norm - not the exception. I wouldnt put these tires on my worst enemies' cars.

"I purchased my new AMG GLC 63 January of 2019 with Continenttal tires.. I drive highway miles to and back from work, no racing. After 7800 miles I’m told by my dealer my tires are worn to wear bars. I am shocked, never had such premature wear in tires in other luxury performance vehicles I’ve owned in past. In fact my Lexus GSF OEM tires lasted 38K Miles. I’m not sure why Mercedes-AMG would use such poor quality tires on their expensive luxury vehicles. Very frustrated owner."

"Ford, for some reason, chose to put Continental LT275/65R18 tires on my new F-250. The truck is only 1 1/2 yrs old and two of the tires have failed! After having them balanced at a local tire shop, I went back to the Dealer, O'Brien Ford in Shelbyville, KY. They went straight to a road force balance that is supposed to provide a simulated driving force condition. Two of the four tires on the truck failed the test miserably!"

"This company will jerk you around for an endless period of time trying to get a warranty paid. I have been at it since June 2018. There was never a doubt the tire was defective. Every three weeks they tell me the check has been approved and will be there in 4-6 weeks...the check never arrives and they say again "the check was just approved". Now it is principle...I will be forced to litigate. DO NOT BUY A CONTINENTAL TIRE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE."

Continental Tires Reviews (Updated May 2021) | ConsumerAffairs

Broken Record for Broken Tires.

Hey, I've got a Hyundai to sell ya that gets great mileage, especially after mileagegate.
And also a VW to sell ya that doesn't polute especially after emissionsgate.

Old Leopards don't lose their spots.

Maybe Continentals are good as tire swings,
Nah, wouldn't trust that either. Can you imagine a blowout at full swing!

Untitled.png

OK Chief. Sorry you had an issue. I'm sure it sucks, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, ok?

I've had Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06's, the predecessor DWS, and the predecessor Extreme contact dating back to 2005. Have had them on

Volvo V70R x 2
Acura MDX
BMW 535i
Porsche Cayenne x 3
VW GTi

All in, I've got over 200,000 miles on one series of tires. Clearly I am a fan, but you know how many issues I've had with them? Zero. Zilch. Nada. No structural failures, no blowouts. They do very, very well in the wet. My RWD BMW absolutely smashed through Snowmageddon in 2011 in VA. I passed many cars stranded on snow covered hills like I had snows on. And I was driving a RWD car with all seasons. My MDX with these tires and SHAWD was an absolute BEAST in the snow.

So again, sorry you had an issue, and sorry I don't trust your dealer, who is clearly trying to sell you something. But to sty that you're putting your family's safety at risk is just utter hysterical nonsense.

So glad you had a great experience when so many others haven't.
Perhaps you used the 40 times the legal amount of nitrogen oxide from the VW to reinflate the Contis.
Not hysterical. The EPA described that as "knowing endangerment".

Just pullin' your chain. Enjoy. This forum is set up for individuals to share their personal experiences. So glad you shared yours.
I'd like to here from others with Continental Tire experiences, so I can be a better-informed consumer.

So glad you had a great experience when so many others haven't.
Perhaps you used the 40 times the legal amount of nitrogen oxide from the VW to reinflate the Contis.
Not hysterical. The EPA described that as "knowing endangerment".

Just pullin' your chain. Enjoy. This forum is set up for individuals to share their personal experiences. So glad you shared yours.
I'd like to here from others with Continental Tire experiences, so I can be a better-informed consumer.

Actually all the diesel emissions was from my Porsche, not my VW. :p

I ran the original iteration DWS on my previous vehicle, two full sets, preferred them over Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (also original iteration) because they were much quieter and rode softer. I may have had a belt separate on the OEM continental (with foam) on my X after the inner tread was completely worn away due to the ridiculous fixed camber, but I'd blame that on Tesla, not Continental (wear was way beyond safe on the inside tread, but looked like thousands of miles to go on the outside tread). Replaced the rears on my X with DWS 06 when that happened since I don't really want foam either. Happy with them so far, but only drove a couple months that way before switching to winter tires; planning to put DWS 06 on the front to match this spring.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I have gone thru at least 3-4 sets of DWS-06 on 3 different vehicles, each, putting about 350,000 miles on them. I haven't had a single blowout with those tires... I have gotten blowouts with Dunlop and Michelin tho.. My wife even hit/drove over one of those curb stops with her MDX with DWS-06... No blowout, and no bubbling on the sidewall... I've also run the Pilot Sport A/S, every iteration from the originals to the AS3 plus. If you need any type of snow traction, they are not even close to the DWS. Tho Dry traction I'd give them a slight nod.. Wet, they seemed about even.