Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone gave me a like on a previous post, so figured I'd circle back on this thread.

Over my 5+ years with a Model X; I've ridden on 20" wheels, 22" wheels and used every OEM tire. I've also gone out and purchased on my own Nokian tires as well as DWS06. I don't recall the exact mileages anymore but I don't think any of them lasted more than 30,000 miles. Some only lasted 10-15,000 (OEM Conti Silents - 3 sets)

While the outer tread was good and there was good depth remaining in the middle, the inner treads of the rear tires would be destroyed by the camber on my car; despite annual alignments at the SC. The WRG3 as an example had 6/32 remaining in the middle with the outers worn. The DWS06 are at 8/32 with the inner worn.

In the end I sold my 20" wheels and decided to run a single all season set instead of swapping between 20"s in the winter and 22"s in the summer and run solely on the DWS06. They've been problem free in the snow, better than the OEM ContiSilents actually. Extremely confident in the rain. The ride is good and road noise is minimal. I expect to be repurchasing and going into my 2nd set by the end of this year.

YMMV with your driving habits. My car went into Low at highway speeds and 70% of my driving is highway. There's an occasional trailer hooked up, and I throw the car around as if it was a Mazda Miata. If you dont drive like the maniac that I am, I would expect your wear to be better.

Great thread, helpful info. I just ordered Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus for my P90D X with staggered 20s from America's Tire.
I wonder what the difference will be for the new DWS06 Plus, versus the original DWS06.

I wanted to order Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, those have great reviews for the 22 inch wheels and I live in SoCal. But for 20s, Michelin doesn't make the 275/45R/20 size for the rear. And the Pilot Sport 4 SUV version is available for staggered 20s, but has much worse reviews compared to Pilot Sport 4S.

Hope the DWS06 Plus can handle the P90D ludicrous torque, I'll know in about a week.

Reactions: madodel
Great thread, helpful info. I just ordered Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus for my P90D X with staggered 20s from America's Tire...Hope the DWS06 Plus can handle the P90D ludicrous torque, I'll know in about a week.
What are you planning to do about the load rating vs section width dilemma that has been discussed extensively in this thread. Specifically are you going 265 SL in front because 265 has the desired tread width, or are you going with 255 XL in front to be consistent with the XL rating of the 275's in back?

(BTW I have Pilot Sport 4 SUV now on my stock 20" wheels now. Haven't driven on Pilot sport 4S, so couldn't say if those reviews are meaningful or not. The SUV version is working fine for me: good handling, good (low) rolling resistance, not noisy, or at least seems to move noise to less objectionable frequencies even if the overall dB levels are still high.)

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
What are you planning to do about the load rating vs section width dilemma that has been discussed extensively in this thread. Specifically are you going 265 SL in front because 265 has the desired tread width, or are you going with 255 XL in front to be consistent with the XL rating of the 275's in back?
I bought 255/45R/20 XL (front) and 275/45R/20 XL (Rear). I bought the 255 instead of the 265 because it's XL rated, it's probably cheaper, and I don't mind a bit less width in the front (might help range).

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Great thread, helpful info. I just ordered Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus for my P90D X with staggered 20s from America's Tire.
I wonder what the difference will be for the new DWS06 Plus, versus the original DWS06.
As far as I know, it's just a newer model. The differences are most likely minor improvements in specifications, and I'd guess based on a change in the rubber compound used. Technically tooling was changed, too, as the tires indicate plus, but there are no optically significant (to me) differences in tread between the two. FWIW, I bought my rears a few months before my fronts. My fronts are plus and my rears are not. No problems so far.

Yeah awhile ago I started a whole thread on this because I was startled to find someone had put 255's on the used Tesla I bought.

Here's the upshot of that thread:

- The OEM tires that came with the car could be one of two or three brands and they may not have all had the same section width. If Tesla put Contis on your X, they were 265's; if it came with Michelins, they were 255's. Both sizes were perfectly 'official' and blessed by Tesla.
- You can put on any section width you want and the car will drive: Too big it may rub, too small you have a smaller contact patch, and in all cases the resulting tread width may affect handling, range, and rain/snow performance, but there but generally there is nothing magic about getting it to be exactly the same as what Tesla chose. The size printed on the door jamb sticker applies only to the exact model of tire Tesla originally chose for that VIN.
- Within the middle of the range, everything is a valid tradeoff. Adjacent sizes are pretty interchangeable, there is little practical difference between 255 and 265. It's literally 10mm difference in width.

Basically tire manufacturers don't offer every possible size extra-load for 20" rims for some reason, so we often have to go with some number that doesn't exactly match, like 255's in front or even 285's in back- they work, and if that's what you need to buy to get the exact model of tire you want on all four corners, go for it.

I'm sure there are other threads on choosing a load rating other than what Tesla chose. Lord knows there are people driving their X's on SL tires and/or Model S rims and doing just fine. Apparently if you are within a few kg of spec you'll probably get away with it unless you try to tow.

I guess when I go to buy my set of DWS06+ I'll be getting 255/275

(If I had to do the Michelin PS 4 SUV's again I'd go 265/285 but that's off topic)

Last edited:
Adjacent sizes are pretty interchangeable, there is little practical difference between 255 and 265. It's literally 10mm difference in width.
I had to reply to your other thread in detail, but I feel it worthwhile to point out that it's not ONLY 10mm difference in width (no, you didn't say anything to imply it was). Because of how tire sizes work, a 10mm difference in width will also affect the overall height and circumference because the second number in the tire size is not a size measurement, but a ratio of the width as compared to the sidewall. For this reason, decreasing the tread width by any amount also reduces the sidewall height if the second number remains the same (and conversely, increasing the width increases the sidewall height).

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Here is the difference in the two tire sizes 255 vs 265. I see that the sidewall difference is 4%. Hopefully that won't mean a difference in ride quality. If it does, then I will cancel the 255s I ordered and try to switch to 265s. I really really care about ride quality / reducing bumpy ride.

Tires1.jpg

Just had a blowout on my DWS06 Plus. Down to the wire on basically new tires. Sucks and I don't think I'm going to ever get Continental tires again!
Perhaps you need a quality alignment. That is the only reason relatively new tires would wear out so quickly. I was at 6/32 at 36,000 miles on mine, evenly worn, then I hit a brick in my driveway and destroyed one. Nuts!

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
The only alignment one needs is in your buying habits. Never ever buy Continental. The warranty was useless and their ware is abysmal. I had two blowouts with them on two different Model Xs. My tire pro tells me they are the most expensive, poor-quality tire you can buy.
I am happy to see that Tesla has finally heard us and started shipping with Michelin and Good Year.
I had a great ride, performance, and longevity with Hankook tires on my Model X. And on the track, they set the quickest World SUV record.

Reactions: spectrum
The only alignment one needs is in your buying habits. Never ever buy Continental. The warranty was useless and their ware is abysmal. I had two blowouts with them on two different Model Xs. My tire pro tells me they are the most expensive, poor-quality tire you can buy.
I am happy to see that Tesla has finally heard us and started shipping with Michelin and Good Year.
I had a great ride, performance, and longevity with Hankook tires on my Model X. And on the track, they set the quickest World SUV record.
My new Model X (just received) came with the same Continental Crosscontact LX Sports, I had on my 2018. But I have always gotten well over 40,000 miles on them, with very even wear (until I broke them).

The car "feels" fine and drives perfectly straight. But the energy consumption is higher than I expected. So I have an appointment at the SC for an alignment, next week. I'll try to get it under warranty, but I am willing to pay.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
My new Model X (just received) came with the same Continental Crosscontact LX Sports, I had on my 2018. But I have always gotten well over 40,000 miles on them, with very even wear (until I broke them).

The car "feels" fine and drives perfectly straight. But the energy consumption is higher than I expected. So I have an appointment at the SC for an alignment, next week. I'll try to get it under warranty, but I am willing to pay.
Pleased to hear you had a good experience with Continentals. I have never heard of an OEM tire going 40,000 miles. Usually, you get a soft rubber, introductory tire like the Continentals that came with my first Model Y. 7/10 tread from the factory as taken by the SA on delivery (below). And my 2019 Model X must have had an introductory tire as well. I remember when I got my 2019 Model X and went in for the Ludicrous download two weeks later. I couldn't believe that my tire tread read 7/10 by the SA. So I had them record it at delivery when I got the Y. I have yet to check my new 2022 YP with Michelins. I will next week and let you know.

My Model X Continental tire blew out at 23,000 miles on my 2017 X and the Continentals on my 2019 were done (worn into the 3s) at about 26,000 miles. I don't drive them hard and they were not the tires I used at the track (those were Hankooks). I did however get 43,000 miles with my replacement Pirelli All Season Verde tires on the 2019 Model X which would essentially rule out my driving style.

I would be interested in hearing from others on their OEM mileage wear.

Continental Tires have a history of belt separation from over-curing.
Continental, General, and Barum Tires Recalled for Blowout Risk

Be careful out there. When mine blew, (metal tread all over), I was 43 miles from the Tesla Sevice Center and after three hours had to be flat-bedded into TESLA to buy some of their very expensive tires.

Fortunately, the warranty was good for towing up to 50 miles. When she blows, keep it on the straight and narrow and slow to a stop. DO NOT break harshly. Remember, your family's well-being rests on those tires.

I will never buy Continental tires again. I don't want to live with a new form of separation anxiety. Believe me, it's far worse than range anxiety.

Attachments

• 20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 33
Pleased to hear you had a good experience with Continentals. I have never heard of an OEM tire going 40,000 miles. Usually, you get a soft rubber, introductory tire like the Continentals that came with my first Model Y. 7/10 tread from the factory as taken by the SA on delivery (below). And my 2019 Model X must have had an introductory tire as well. I remember when I got my 2019 Model X and went in for the Ludicrous download two weeks later. I couldn't believe that my tire tread read 7/10 by the SA. So I had them record it at delivery when I got the Y. I have yet to check my new 2022 YP with Michelins. I will next week and let you know.

My Model X Continental tire blew out at 23,000 miles on my 2017 X and the Continentals on my 2019 were done (worn into the 3s) at about 26,000 miles. I don't drive them hard and they were not the tires I used at the track (those were Hankooks). I did however get 43,000 miles with my replacement Pirelli All Season Verde tires on the 2019 Model X which would essentially rule out my driving style.

I would be interested in hearing from others on their OEM mileage wear.

Continental Tires have a history of belt separation from over-curing.
Continental, General, and Barum Tires Recalled for Blowout Risk

Be careful out there. When mine blew, (metal tread all over), I was 43 miles from the Tesla Sevice Center and after three hours had to be flat-bedded into TESLA to buy some of their very expensive tires.

Fortunately, the warranty was good for towing up to 50 miles. When she blows, keep it on the straight and narrow and slow to a stop. DO NOT break harshly. Remember, your family's well-being rests on those tires.

I will never buy Continental tires again. I don't want to live with a new form of separation anxiety. Believe me, it's far worse than range anxiety.
My 2017 MX is on 2nd sets of DWS 06. First sets worn out (3/32) in Sept 2020 around 35500 miles. Current sets are at (6/32) 57000 miles. I will probably get 32K out of the 2nd sets. Didn't know about this blowout risk, but I am kind of scared LOL. I was going to switch to Michelin Crossclimate 2 anyway after this sets is done.

Reactions: Fairchild
My 2017 MX is on 2nd sets of DWS 06. First sets worn out (3/32) in Sept 2020 around 35500 miles. Current sets are at (6/32) 57000 miles. I will probably get 32K out of the 2nd sets. Didn't know about this blowout risk, but I am kind of scared LOL. I was going to switch to Michelin Crossclimate 2 anyway after this sets is done.
I just changed mine out to the follow and have similar wh/mi (maybe slightly higher). I did 265 front and 275 rear like the originals but may do 265 all around next time and rotate them every 10K (or sooner).

Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-SeasonTireRack equivFront265/45ZR20 108Y XLUTQG: 640 B A
Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-SeasonTireRack equivRear275/45ZR20 110Y XLUTQG: 640 B A

Reactions: Fairchild and Need