TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by dave, Jan 9, 2013.

1. dave

dave Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires? (Stock Tires are just DW, not DWS)

Continental ExtremeContact DWS - 245/45R19 98Y BW - All-Season Tire - Automotive - Tires - Car Tires

My car is coming with the 21" wheels, and I'm trying to put together a winter wheel package since Tesla's is sold out. I was thinking of ordering the bare Tesla 19" rims, and then putting on a set of the Continental DWS tires.

I know they are All-Season tires, but we don't have horrible winters here, and the snow is usually cleared pretty quickly. My thinking is that this tire is almost identical to the OEM spec and would be able to get me through the winter with some decent tread life I wouldn't get on a true winter tire. (It has a 50,000 mile warranty).

Anyways, just thought I'd fish for some opinions, since I know we have some really knowledgeable folks out there!

Thanks,

Dave

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Are you going to be going with 2 sets of rims? I'd probably go with winter Nokian R tires anyway since you'll be switching rims anyway but I bought those tires for my Jetta as all season tires and they are supposed to be really good. Jerry will have a better answer though. When is your car arriving?

3. dave

dave Member

Definitely two sets of rims. The car is waiting to be picked up from the factory right now, so I'll probably have it in a week or two.

You bought the Nokian tires for your Jetta or the Continental DWS?

I don't do a ton of hard-core winter driving, I just want to be safe in a bit of snow, which I understand the 21"s are NOT.

4. dsm363

I'm in Texas now so very, very mild winters so the all season DWSs are all year tires. They have great reviews so that's why I got them. The Jetta had to go when the Model S arrived but I drove on them for 3 years. Can't really comment on them much other than they were fine and never had any problems.

I think if you are going through the trouble for winter tires, might as well buy real winter tires. It still gets cold in Kentucky and you get occasional ice, right? If you were only going to stick with one set of rims then the DWSs would be fine. Remember, you'll only be driving on the winter rims from maybe November to April so they'll last much longer than if you drove them all year around like you would with all season tires.

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I've got DWS's on my BMW 335d. They are decent tires, they handle >400ftlbs of torque pretty well. :) However, I got a set of General Altimax Arctic tires for winter around here. The winters are more grippy all around around when it's cold (< 10C).

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I don't have experience with the Continentals, so I'm going to address the 50,000 mile warranty. Basically that's a way to sell you a second set of tires. Unless there is something very wrong with the alignment or you turn off traction control and do a lot of burn-outs, the tires are likely to get at least 80% of the stated miles. When you go in to get the "warranty" they will give you 20% off on a new set of tires. However, that's 20% off MSRP--not 20% off street price.

Bottom line is: Don't let the treadlife warranty be a basis for purchasing tires.

7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

For the 19" wheel size, there are 10 tires in the "Ultra High Performance All Season" ranking on Tire Rack

These aren't snow tires per se, but they can handle some light snow. They're mostly intended for people who want a petty high performance tire, but have to deal with wintery conditions sometimes because they don't want to swap wheels for winter. I'm in the SF Bay area and run the Conti DWS's on my BMW X5 and Scion TC. I like these tires on the 4WD BMW a lot, and they're pretty good on the front-wheel drive Scion, too.

If you're swapping between the 21"ers and the 19"ers, then I don't know if they're the best choice. For a single tire does it all, they're the best I've seen, but check out the other 9 tires in the TireRack link above.

8. elreydetodo

elreydetodo #14,427

I've driven many cars with many different tires. I used to not pay attention to what was on the car, until the most recent time I had to replace the tires on my 2006 Acura TL. I bought the Extreme Contact DWS for my car based on their recommendation from tire rack. I have never had strong feelings about any tire until now. DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES, you will be very sad.

They tend to follow the road in a bad way. In the left lane they pull left, in the middle or right lane they pull right. It's hard to keep the car going straight, and it's definitely not my alignment (been checked several times). The tires hate driving straight. They don't pull in the same direction, they just pull to whichever side is more convenient at the time. I can never take my hand off the steering wheel.

Cornering is alright, but the Michelin MXM4's that came with the car were better and felt more secure. Rain traction is about the only good thing - that's fantastic. Snow's pretty decent, but I don't have as much experience with driving random other cars in the snow so I have a smaller comparison set for this.

They are LOUD. This will be especially problematic with an otherwise silent car. They generate a lot of road noise.

I'm trying actively to get rid of these tires on my car. If I can save one or two more people from buying this tire I will be slightly happier with this terrible ownership experience.

9. dsm363

Is it possible you just got a bad set? They got great reviews on Tirerack and other websites I've seen and I didn't have any problems with my set (although they were only on a Jetta).

10. elreydetodo

elreydetodo #14,427

It would have to be all 4 of them, which seems unlikely. If it was any one of them (or even two), my various attempts to rotate and re-locate them should have made it different. I even had one of them road-hazard-warranty-replaced due to a torn sidewall. Still the same.

Do you not find that the car tends to follow grooves in the road? That driving behind another car tends to force you into following them, even if they're not centered in the lane? Have you noticed that when you change lanes that it feels a bit like you're climbing a small hill until you pass the lines, then it pulls quickly toward the new lane and you have to quickly stop it from going too far?

Those are all problems I have with these tires that I didn't have immediately before installing them. I suspect that in a couple days the problem will be resolved for good. I was holding off on posting a review on Tire Rack until I could confirm this.

11. dsm363

I'm not doubting your review of the tire but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention. I changed the cheap OEM tires the Jetta came with to the DWS tires very soon after getting them and didn't notice any problems but I wasn't looking for anything. I never noticed anything that dramatic. Maybe something was altered with the actual car when they changed the tires (if you had someone else change the tires for you)?

12. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Well after 4200+ miles on my S, I haven't noticed any handling problems. The car holds the road as well as any car I have ever owned. I had a Tesla service rep measure the tread depth at about 4000 miles and compared that to new ones and I expect to get about 20,000 to 25,000 miles. BTW we measured the rear tires since they will show the most wear. I plan on rotating at 5000.

13. dsm363

I'm not sure how different the DW and the DWS tires are but I think he was referring to the DWS tires. More of an all season type of tire.

I rotated my 21" DW tires at 2,500 miles because the Ranger was already working on something else. Plan to do it again later as well.

14. rcc

rcc Model S 85KW, VIN #2236

#14 rcc, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    If you're looking for winter tires/wheels, I'd recommend going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's. Nokian specializes in tires for cold weather conditions (think Scandinavia). Sadly, you won't find them at Tire Rack but if you hunt around on the internet or check other mail order tire places, you should be able to find them.

15. jerry33

I've been purchasing Nokians from Ryan at TiresByWeb for several years now. (It used to be called Tire Factory).

16. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

I've noticed generally that anything called 'extreme' is crap. FWIW.
    --

17. jerry33

Marketing dictates that you advertise your weakest point in the name and hope people won't notice.

18. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> Marketing dictates . . [jerry33]

Or was that 'Xtreme'??
    --

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

XTr3m3