TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Continental Silent 5p tires

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Merrill, May 8, 2015.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I read somewhere on this forum that someone had installed the Continental Silent 5p tires on there Model S. I have 21's with Conti extreme contact and they are starting to get noisy. Wonder if the above are any better as they wear.

2. Frank the Tank

I got them and I'm about 7k miles into them. The feel of the tires are great and they are indeed quiet. The foam inserts inside do make a big difference, but I'm wondering if they are worth it since my only concern with them is that they don't last as long as the Conti extreme contacts and are expensive.

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Do you have the 21's and when do you think you will have to replace them. Thanks for the info.

4. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I have the 21" and I really love them. They handle well, and are noticibly more quiet than the stock Conti's that came with it.

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks for the reply, when I need new tires I might switch to these. Do you know where you can purchase them, Tire Rack does not have them.

6. Frank the Tank

I have the 21". My guess is around 15-17k mile range. I got them at Tesla service center as they were slightly cheaper than the price shown on Tire Rack ($375 vs $407 or so). I was originally going to get the Michelin Super Sports, but they weren't available (and still aren't available) on Tire Rack. I think the next set of tires I'm going to try are the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2's. Heard those were pretty good for performance (dunno about noise) and half the price of the Conti Silents.

7. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks Frank, that is decent mileage. I could not find them on Tire Rack unless they are called something else.

8. Frank the Tank

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks, I guess I did not look close enough.

10. jhs_7645

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.. I got the from the Tesla Service Center.

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

No problem, how many miles are on them at this point.

12. Super Gizmo

Super Gizmo Member

I just read your post after starting a new thread about owners experience with the Evo2s yesterday. They seem like a great deal for the price and Consumers Report gives them a good rating too. I am seriously considering them.

13. invisik

invisik Member

Can you get the foam inserts separately and install on any tire or is it attached somehow?

14. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

15. matbl

matbl Member

Just a quick note. Sportcontact 5 and sportcontact 5P are two different tyres.

16. docrice

docrice Member

I had an S85 loaner a couple of months ago which came with ContiSportContact 5, not ContiSportContact 5P. I just checked a video of it on my phone where I got a close-up of the sidewall. I remember thinking to myself that the ride was quieter than I had expected, but initially attributed it to the air suspension which my car doesn't have.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+5

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+5P

One of the main reasons I went with 19s from the factory was due to my understanding of additional tire noise with the larger wheels (and cost ... and relatively limited tread life). Perhaps these tires will justify my desire to go 21?

17. jhs_7645

roughly 1k, so still quite new.

18. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I would appreciate any updates from those who are running the Conti Silent 21's on wear and noise. Will need a new set in a couple of months and seriously thinking of this tire. Thanks.

19. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

20. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

For my staggered P+ wheels, I have been considering the Contisilent equipped tires in the 245 fronts and 275 rears after my PS2s are gone.

Unfortunately it looks like it is the 5 in 245s for the front, and the 5P 275 rears are the only choices with the Contisilent. Any big difference between the 5 and the 5P?