Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a Continental tire blow out. My model Y is only 2 months old and has less than than 3,000mi/5,000km on it. There was a nail in the tread, but the side-wall blew out with a hole the size of my thumb. Tesla service dept. said I would have to go to Continental for a warranty claim. Continental stated that because of the nail, tire pressure was reduced causing heat build-up which resulted in the side-wall to blow and there is no warranty coverage. I have had numerous nails in tires over the years and never had one cause a blowout. Has anyone else experienced this with Continental?

Not sure what the mileage on the car has to do with this, but sure, this could happen. Anything that reduces the tire's integrity could cause an issue. It stinks that Conti seems to have an out here. I'd check on The Tire Rack or other places before purchasing a new tire from Tesla.

I just had a Continental tire blow out. My model Y is only 2 months old and has less than than 3,000mi/5,000km on it. There was a nail in the tread, but the side-wall blew out with a hole the size of my thumb. Tesla service dept. said I would have to go to Continental for a warranty claim. Continental stated that because of the nail, tire pressure was reduced causing heat build-up which resulted in the side-wall to blow and there is no warranty coverage. I have had numerous nails in tires over the years and never had one cause a blowout. Has anyone else experienced this with Continental?
I wonder about those tires. While yes, I guess that can happen, I must have been lucky. In decades of driving over 800,000 miles in numerous cars, I have NEVER had a blowout. Sure, I have had many nails as you mention, but they never caused a blowout. I'm not sure what to say I'd try to escalate it with Continental.

Not sure what the mileage on the car has to do with this, but sure, this could happen. Anything that reduces the tire's integrity could cause an issue. It stinks that Conti seems to have an out here. I'd check on The Tire Rack or other places before purchasing a new tire from Tesla.
The mileage on the car is the mileage on the tire, which shows that it is practically a new tire. I would expect better support from the manufacturer.

The mileage on the car is the mileage on the tire, which shows that it is practically a new tire. I would expect better support from the manufacturer.
But it has nothing to do with what happened. And brand new or at the end of warranty, I don't think any manufacturer will apply warranty to a road hazard unless you buy it specifically (which I'm not sure you can OEM).

This may be an option for you...