Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental TPMS Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into performing the Continental TPMS Retrofit on my 2013 MS P85+. Does anyone know if Tesla will be able to perform the software change remotely on the car’s system, so the Continental TPMS sensors are recognized after they are replaced? I've asked in the Tesla app for the cost/stock of the ECU Receiver and the harness if needed. I'm going to have a tire shop replace the TPMS sensors, but realized that I won't be able to perform the software change without toolbox or Tesla's assistance. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I'm looking into performing the Continental TPMS Retrofit on my 2013 MS P85+. Does anyone know if Tesla will be able to perform the software change remotely on the car’s system, so the Continental TPMS sensors are recognized after they are replaced? I've asked in the Tesla app for the cost/stock of the ECU Receiver and the harness if needed. I'm going to have a tire shop replace the TPMS sensors, but realized that I won't be able to perform the software change without toolbox or Tesla's assistance. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
I would also like to know this because i have a 2013 tesla model s. Looks like yours from comparing the pics. Still have mcu1. Also what do you mean by 85+? I thought only p85 was highest in 2013

P85+ is a variant of P85 with offset rear tires. There may also be some suspension differences. They were only available for a limited number of years early on.

Years ago I ordered oem snow tires for my 2013 P85 but since the new snows had a different Tpms from my original wheels tesla did the retro for free.

I have done this retrofit on three of my cars and had no issues asking the SC to update my gateway settings as long as I was having other work done. Otherwise you are looking at .5-1 hour labor. Still cheaper than the $1100 I was quoted for them to do everything.

Thanks for all the inputs, I'm quoted about $140 for all the parts except the TPMS sensors themselves since they are less if I would to purchase them myself elsewhere. My local tire shop is charging about $80 to swap out all 4 sensors, my only worry is that Tesla SC might not update gateway if the sensors are not officially purchased from them.

My experience was that they insisted that THEY had to replace the ECU and the sensors, even as I already had a set of OEM rims and sensors from a 2020 model... They charged me for the whole thing, lying to me that they would "only charge for what was actually needed" by claiming that the ECU and the sensors were "matched" yet also admitting that the ECU wouldn't program b/c it was defective in the box and that they replaced it under the parts warranty... So thus proving the lie that the sensors were "matched" to it.

Caveat Emptor.

I own a 2013 Tesla S. The Tesla Service Center wanted $1000 to change the harness. Including the Conti sensors and labor to install the sensors it looked like a $2000 conversion. Tire Rack sells the Baolong TPMS sensors which will automatically reset without any hardware or software change. They were less than $70/sensor. If Tire Rack Mobile service is available, they'll come to your house and install them for a nominal fee. Only drawback is you do not get 4 tire pressures displayed but it is a much cheaper fix than opting for the Conti TPMS Retrofit.

I own a 2013 Tesla S. The Tesla Service Center wanted $1000 to change the harness. Including the Conti sensors and labor to install the sensors it looked like a $2000 conversion. Tire Rack sells the Baolong TPMS sensors which will automatically reset without any hardware or software change. They were less than $70/sensor. If Tire Rack Mobile service is available, they'll come to your house and install them for a nominal fee. Only drawback is you do not get 4 tire pressures displayed but it is a much cheaper fix than opting for the Conti TPMS Retrofit.
Nice, my main reason for the retrofit was to get rid of the alert message, so going with the Tire Rack Baolong TPMS sensors route get's rid of the aleart message? So my understanding from your reply is you wouldn't get any tire pressure display? Again thanks for this suggestion!

Just an update on this, last week I went ahead and purchased 4 pre-programmed ITM Un-sensors Duo TPMS sensors and had local tire shop install them. Before leaving shop, I selected "reset TPMS" and the error message that was previously showing for tire sensor went away but the reset failed with the failure alert (picture attached). I then remembered that I have to drive it for about 25 minutes so I went for a longer drive. Unfortunately the reset failed once again with "Cancel or Reset". There are no other alerts, but it seems like if I select cancel and keep driving all is good without any further errors whatsoever. If I choose to try the reset again, it fails exactly at 5 minutes. I've gone back to the tire shop and they have confirmed all TPMS sensors to be sending data with the handheld device. I've also confirmed the tires have 38psi on the front tires and 40 psi on the rear tires. Also have performed software reinstall thru service mode, but the failure continues. Called Tesla support line and they don't see anything on their end to resolve the issue, only suggestion was to take it in to SC. I hoping to see if there is anything more I could do to resolve before taking it in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Reset Failed.jpg
    Reset Failed.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 89
Are the ITM sensors supposed to be compatible with the Baolong system? Because to my knowledge, that Baolong is somewhat obnoxious and requires their own sensors - which may have been lower quality overall. Just having the sensors “sending data” isn’t informative if there is nothing compatible in the car to receive that data.

Are the ITM sensors supposed to be compatible with the Baolong system? Because to my knowledge, that Baolong is somewhat obnoxious and requires their own sensors - which may have been lower quality overall. Just having the sensors “sending data” isn’t informative if there is nothing compatible in the car to receive that data.
Ended up purchasing and installing Baolong sensors and within 3 minutes of driving Reset TPMS was successful. Returning the ITM sensors that were stated to be compatible.

Reactions: geordi
P85+ is a variant of P85 with offset rear tires. There may also be some suspension differences. They were only available for a limited number of years early on.

Years ago I ordered oem snow tires for my 2013 P85 but since the new snows had a different Tpms from my original wheels tesla did the retro for free.
I have a 2015 P85+ and bought new 19" rims that came with winter/snow wheels with decent amount of life on them. But they have Gen2 TMPS sensors I believe that won't talk to my Gen1 TMPS system. Was quoted ~$1100 to do the TMPS Gen2 system upgrade - that would show readout on dash - and 4 Gen2 sensors for each tire. But you're saying just getting new tires through Tesla they did the upgrade for you for free? Did it seem like that was commonplace or were they doing you a solid? Because definitely want to explore that option as I was gonna get new winter tires next year anyways. Thanks

I have a 2015 P85+ and bought new 19" rims that came with winter/snow wheels with decent amount of life on them. But they have Gen2 TMPS sensors I believe that won't talk to my Gen1 TMPS system. Was quoted ~$1100 to do the TMPS Gen2 system upgrade - that would show readout on dash - and 4 Gen2 sensors for each tire. But you're saying just getting new tires through Tesla they did the upgrade for you for free? Did it seem like that was commonplace or were they doing you a solid? Because definitely want to explore that option as I was gonna get new winter tires next year anyways. Thanks
In my case they did it under goodwill. I don’t think they would do that unfortunately in todays world but worth asking.

I have done this retrofit on three of my cars and had no issues asking the SC to update my gateway settings as long as I was having other work done. Otherwise you are looking at .5-1 hour labor. Still cheaper than the $1100 I was quoted for them to do everything.
did you have to replace the harness? or just the ECU?? the harness replacement seems much more involved.

You need the harness to install the ECU in the car at the right side c pillar. The 1st gen is under the car and you must disconnect and cap the plug.
The NHTSA service bulletin mentions two fixes: one that requires just the module, when the 6-pin connector exists in the harness, and a more involved procedure that includes a harness extension and the module. Which Model Ss have the 6-pin connector in the harness already, but have the old Baolong TPMS? I have read that any VINs over 50400 have the new system. the NHTSA Service Bulletin says that vehicles manu'd after Sept 17. Which is correct? Other than removing the panels, is there another way to know for sure whether the 6-pin connector is present?