Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continue CPO hunt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
I’ve been on the hunt for a CPO P85 or perhaps a P85D since there are so many avail currently, with some dropping over $10K in price.
However, I found a private dealer 2013 P85 with only 37K miles on it. Has Tech, Studio Sound, Active Air Suspension, twin chargers, and 21” wheels. Asking price is $47K. Seems like a good deal, especially before negotiations. However, since it’s a 2013, there’s no warranty nor opp to buy the extended warranty. That and the fact that many updates rolled in with the 2014 cars?
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

What's your budget like? Up in Oregon, I assume you get snow up there. If you can swing it, there are a lot of CPO P85Ds available right now starting around $70k that have many features the P85 does not: Dual motors (obviously), Autopilot 1, heated steering wheel with the Subzero package, next gen seats, "insane mode", and the CPO warranty. I upgraded from a 2013 P85+ to a 2014 P85D and couldn't be happier. Such a difference all-around, especially in the snow (with proper snow tires). All those things including the CPO warranty are worth $20k if that's in your budget. I paid $86k for my P85D (non CPO, private sale) over a year ago, so prices in the $70ks now are even better.

The 2nd charger is only needed if you're going to be charging at home at more than 40amps, which for most people is plenty. It's not used for supercharging. I've had the 2nd charger in both cars I've had, and never once have needed it.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: GTKAZ and BrokerDon
Thanks @HankLloydRight. I lost out (literally was sold while I was filling out the credit card info!) on a CPO 2014 P85 with everything for $66K, so the current P85Ds are within budget. I’m just a sucker for a “good” deal. The warranty, newer updates, and extra motor are def worth the delta. I just need to convince myself to let this ready-to-go local car pass. Insane mode helps sway the decision. :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I am indeed a sport sedan guy. All of my cars have had mild suspension upgrades. That’s why I’ve been reading up so much on coil vs air.

Funny you should mention the M5. There is currently a ‘13 M5 with only 27K miles (looks to have been mainly a show car) with tasteful mods for $47K. Must... resist... temptation.

What's your budget like? Up in Oregon, I assume you get snow up there. If you can swing it, there are a lot of CPO P85Ds available right now starting around $70k that have many features the P85 does not: Dual motors (obviously), Autopilot 1, heated steering wheel with the Subzero package, next gen seats, "insane mode", and the CPO warranty. I upgraded from a 2013 P85+ to a 2014 P85D and couldn't be happier. Such a difference all-around, especially in the snow (with proper snow tires). All those things including the CPO warranty are worth $20k if that's in your budget. I paid $86k for my P85D (non CPO, private sale) over a year ago, so prices in the $70ks now are even better.

The 2nd charger is only needed if you're going to be charging at home at more than 40amps, which for most people is plenty. It's not used for supercharging. I've had the 2nd charger in both cars I've had, and never once have needed it.

Good luck!

I agree with Hank 100%. The P85D is a significantly better car... especially after driving a P85+ loaner for 3 days while my P85D was being serviced. Our Insane P85D had significantly more power, dual motor AWD is MUCH safer / stable on slippery pavement (especially snow), AP makes driving SO much less stressful in both stop 'n go congestion and freeway road trips. Oh and the P85D comes with the newer turn signal / Autopilot stalks which is much better than the older ones used in P85's.

Dual chargers are a nice option... but definitely not necessary IMHO. Our "inventory" P85D came with dual chargers and a HPWC so we routinely charge at 60A since it's supposedly more efficient... and we can. On road trips I've only found one destination charger > 40A that our dual chargers were used... and ZERO public charging stations > 40A. Dual Chargers ahve been no real benefit "on the road" since Superchargers are so prevalent now vs. 2014 when P85D's were first built.

I am indeed a sport sedan guy. All of my cars have had mild suspension upgrades. That’s why I’ve been reading up so much on coil vs air.

You'd definitely prefer one of the pre-May 2015 P85D's with the "Plus Suspension" (Tesla's equivalent to BMW's "M" suspension) which has stiffer sway bars and dampers. The Plus Suspension handles significantly better than the "standard" suspension the post May 2015 P85D's, P90D's, and P100D's came with. I know... we got one of these "unicorn" P85D+ and LOVE it, especially coming from a 505 hp 7.1 liter (427 cu. in.) 2006 Corvette Z06 that weighed only 3,100 lbs. :D

Lots more info on the Plus Suspension in other TMC threads.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I’ve been on the hunt for a CPO P85 or perhaps a P85D since there are so many avail currently, with some dropping over $10K in price.
However, I found a private dealer 2013 P85 with only 37K miles on it. Has Tech, Studio Sound, Active Air Suspension, twin chargers, and 21” wheels. Asking price is $47K. Seems like a good deal, especially before negotiations. However, since it’s a 2013, there’s no warranty nor opp to buy the extended warranty. That and the fact that many updates rolled in with the 2014 cars?
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I think you can do better with the 2013 P85 on price.

Also P85D are now starting to be be available in the low $60s... If you plan to buy a CPO P85D from Tesla I recommend that you wait because you will likely see prices being revised downwards and CPO advisers have access to cars that are priced better.

Here are a few P85Ds you might want to consider...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/726595940/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/725380478/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/723510344/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/718143363/overview/

Yep, I wouldn’t pay the $47K asking price for the ‘13. I have searches saved on both EV-CPO as well as teslainventory so am intently monitoring.
My sweet spot would be in the low/mid sixties, but I also want to cap the mileage at 40K. Yes, I know that there is no ICE to worry about last longevity wise, but I’m a bit OCD, so wear’n’tear on the interior (leather, panels, etc.) would worry me on. 50K+ mile car. Plus, you only get a 2yr warranty vs 4.
Thanks for all the great advice so far everyone. Really appreciate it.

Keep on looking. I just took delivery of 2012 CPO P85 for under $47k that was fully loaded and only 29k miles. Since AP hold no appeal to me, that didn't play in to my decision. In short, they're out there, and I got mine on the dump of CPO cars at the start of year after looking daily for 3 months on ev-cpo.

• Informative
Reactions: P85Dave
Yep, I wouldn’t pay the $47K asking price for the ‘13. I have searches saved on both EV-CPO as well as teslainventory so am intently monitoring.
My sweet spot would be in the low/mid sixties, but I also want to cap the mileage at 40K. Yes, I know that there is no ICE to worry about last longevity wise, but I’m a bit OCD, so wear’n’tear on the interior (leather, panels, etc.) would worry me on. 50K+ mile car. Plus, you only get a 2yr warranty vs 4.
Thanks for all the great advice so far everyone. Really appreciate it.

EVs have wear and tear just like ICE cars so stick to your plan in finding a well maintained and low mileage car. If you are open to a P85 you should be able to find a 2013 P85 for right around 40.

If you are looking for a P85D, you should be able to find one for the low 60s right now. The current CPO P85D inventory is overpriced so if you want a CPO you should wait until they decide they want to sell them :)

No matter what you buy, take the time to inspect the car thoroughly. I would personally pay a professional car inspector/appraiser to go over the car thoroughly as they will likely be able to tell you if there is any undisclosed damage or other issues.

If you have the time, use it to your advantage!

EVs have wear and tear just like ICE cars so stick to your plan in finding a well maintained and low mileage car. If you are open to a P85 you should be able to find a 2013 P85 for right around 40.

If you are looking for a P85D, you should be able to find one for the low 60s right now. The current CPO P85D inventory is overpriced so if you want a CPO you should wait until they decide they want to sell them :)

No matter what you buy, take the time to inspect the car thoroughly. I would personally pay a professional car inspector/appraiser to go over the car thoroughly as they will likely be able to tell you if there is any undisclosed damage or other issues.

If you have the time, use it to your advantage!

I thought it's next to impossible to really get any details about a CPO car much less have someone physically inspect it. Trust in the refurbishment process is tough for me as I've never purchased a used car before, hence why having a local car to checkout is tempting, albeit a non-CPO '13 one.

I thought it's next to impossible to really get any details about a CPO car much less have someone physically inspect it. Trust in the refurbishment process is tough for me as I've never purchased a used car before, hence why having a local car to checkout is tempting, albeit a non-CPO '13 one.

As they say, trust but verify. I've read stories of almost immaculate CPO deliveries and CPO deliveries being a disaster with badly painted panels and all sorts of other issues along with endless delays as they go through the reconditioning process. Do your due diligence so you are not taking a chance and be absolutely ready to reject delivery if you are not happy with the car they present.

Be aware that if they had the CPO car in their loaner fleet, that car could be potentially abused by dozens of people over a period of moths. Check to see when the CPO car was traded in what the mileage was then and what it is now so you know how many miles it was driven after being traded in and over what duration of time.

If it were up to Tesla, they would like to use the CPO cars for months and months as a loaner for anyone to drive, and would like you to buy the car sight unseen with hardly any information about the car other than the specs, and then possibly take weeks to locate the refurbish the car and hopefully deliver a car that was not too beaten up as a loaner in a condition that is acceptable.

You are paying a premium to buy a CPO car from the manufacturer and it is ideally to buy a gently used car in almost like new condition. You should definitely be able to see the CarFax and you can also get someone from Tesla to pull up the service history and at the least read to you what has been done to the car. Apart from that, you can try to ask where the car is located and request to see it and escalate if that request is not honored. At the least you should be able to request photos of the actual car but this seems to be hit or miss based on how helpful they feel like.

The current system strongly favors Tesla, as they give you hardly any information, but you should stand up for what is reasonable to know before buying a used car.

PS: All things being equal, If I were you, I'd so prefer to buy the car directly from the original owner rather than a CPO car. So many benefits when buying the car directly private party from the original owner:

• You get to see the actual car along with a sense for who drove the car and how it might have been used.
  • The original owner can give you all the service records for the car along with a complete history on the car.
  • You can pull the CarFax and do a thorough inspection because you have access to the car.
  • You get the remainder of the factory warranty PLUS you can extend the warranty by 4 EXTRA years so you could end up with a private party car with a longer warranty than a CPO car.
  • You can buy the car the day you complete your inspections without having to wait around for weeks.
Until Tesla fixes their CPO program so you can see the car and learn about what you are buying, if I were you, I'd really look for a private party purchase from the original owner.

You mentioned you are looking to buy a P85D. Did you not like any of the the cars.com listings I posted? A few of those are in the early 60s and that's a decent price for a P85D. If you wait a few months P85D prices may even come down to the late 50s

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
PS: All things being equal, If I were you, I'd so prefer to buy the car directly from the original owner rather than a CPO car. So many benefits when buying the car directly private party from the original owner.

You mentioned you are looking to buy a P85D. Did you not like any of the the cars.com listings I posted? A few of those are in the early 60s and that's a decent price for a P85D. If you wait a few months P85D prices may even come down to the late 50s

Agree with your points, especially wrt having remainder of the factory warranty and then extending by another 4yrs. I'm a searching fool as of late with local CL and surround areas as well. Apparently folks in the NW don't want to sell their P85/D much. :/

I did already reach out to one of your links (the white one w/ low miles). No response yet, but the car in as far away from me as possible (Florida), so that just adds all sorts of headaches for me, despite being a great car on paper. Pics on the add are when the car was on the showroom floor of what appears to be a Bentley/Aston dealership.