Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on two days of watching it seems to be an after charging event. If you charge and drive maybe the exercising of the battery takes the place of running the pump. I will watch closely tomorrow as I will take my usual 42 mile drive to work immediately after charging. Hopefully the pump will not be running for 9 more hours in the parking lot after my 1 hour drive to work.

Any update on the pump running again after your last charge? Thanks.

My car seems to be back to normal. No running pump after charging two nights in a row with my standard 85 miles of driving per day.

Bobby

Thanks for the update Bobby. Hope what we experienced won't be a routine exercise. It's very concerning to lose the main battery charge while plugged in and shortening the pump longevity by running it for that long.

That might be, but look at the post#42 reporting a failed pump, so they can fail like any other hardware component although probably not a common failure. I've no idea what Tesla charges to replace one. Any idea?
Those coolant pumps are going for $100-200 on ebay. Looked easily accessible under the frunk. Can't be much. I'm not surprised that one or more have failed, that doesn't mean in terms of overall reliability. Most of my charging has been around 4 mph, which means my pump has been running pretty much for most of the day for around 4 years. No problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Those coolant pumps are going for $100-200 on ebay. Looked easily accessible under the frunk. Can't be much. I'm not surprised that one or more have failed, that doesn't mean in terms of overall reliability. Most of my charging has been around 4 mph, which means my pump has been running pretty much for most of the day for around 4 years. No problems.

Good to know. Thanks.

Update:

I had not charged since last time when the pump kept running for hours after charging and when I started this thread. Today, I charged to 90% and I noticed the same happening, the pump ran for about 5 hours after the charging completed and the car lost (again) 1 mile per hour for the total of 5 miles. The car was plugged in. The duration and the loss were half of what I observed last time.

In meanwhile, Tesla has not gotten back to me since May 16 when I submitted a bug report.

Update:

I had not charged since last time when the pump kept running for hours after charging and when I started this thread. Today, I charged to 90% and I noticed the same happening, the pump ran for about 5 hours after the charging completed and the car lost (again) 1 mile per hour for the total of 5 miles. The car was plugged in. The duration and the loss were half of what I observed last time.

In meanwhile, Tesla has not gotten back to me since May 16 when I submitted a bug report.

Just realized @Bobasaurus, up in this thread, had his pump running two days in a row after charging with very similar duration and HV battery loss but not anymore. Hopefully, I would experience the same.

As a side note, and not sure if this is related to the cooling pump situation or it's 2019.16.2 related, but in the past I was always wondering why my Rated Miles at %90 Soc and after over 4 years of ownership and 43K miles still shows 238 (the same as when the car was new), when others unsurprisingly report the RM losses of few percentages. Today after charging to %90, I noticed for the first time the charging completed at 232 miles, a loss of about %2.5 since I took delivery of the car. Somehow my car RM is recalculated for the first time.

Today, I charged to 90% and I noticed the same happening, the pump ran for about 5 hours after the charging completed and the car lost (again) 1 mile per hour for the total of 5 miles.

hmmm, so my question is why are you leaving the car sitting there for a long period of time with a 90% charge? Maybe I am just reading this wrong.

hmmm, so my question is why are you leaving the car sitting there for a long period of time with a 90% charge? Maybe I am just reading this wrong.
Why wouldn’t you? I charge to 90% daily and it often sits for several days like that if I don’t need it. No issue.
Don’t get caught up in the overcharging hype.
I even have a friend that refuses to charge less than 100%. He hasn’t seen an issue in over two years.
Hell....he has less battery degradation than me !

I first noticed the pump on a Saturday morning. I charge every night to 90%. It finishes charging between 5 and 6am. I am off to work most days by 6. If my car is at home in the morning it is at 90%. Just in case I have to travel to somewhere 227 miles away that day :)

I charge early in the morning. When you are retired you don't have to commute everyday and no need to drive around for no reason. Plus you want to have enough charge if need to go somewhere in a short notice (I live in a very large metropolitan area). There is nothing detrimental to charge to 90% and let the car sit idle. Charging to 100% is the case not recommended.

My pump is back running this morning. I estimate it has been running since the charging stopped at 1am. I have lost 5 miles just sitting the the garage. This change is taking life out of that pump.

This can't be the final solution for the battery fires. Using miles and killing a pump daily on my car.

Disappointed.

Tesla has also not replied to my service inquiry.

Bobby

This and the combination of users reporting the brick level protection upped from 4 to 5% leads me to believe the run the cooling pump to "top off" a fully charged car to levels where they think it´s now "safe". Guess we now loose rated range (balancing reduced) too. Something is happening and we have to get down to the core.

This and the combination of users reporting the brick level protection upped from 4 to 5% leads me to believe the run the cooling pump to "top off" a fully charged car to levels where they think it´s now "safe". Guess we now loose rated range (balancing reduced) too. Something is happening and we have to get down to the core.

Interesting. Neither @Bobasaurus or I charged to 100% and the car was not topped off to full charge by additional self-charging. Would you elaborate a bit more what you mean by "the cooling pump to "top off" a fully charged car"?

Last edited: