Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By similar problem you mean the pumps were running after charging about 10 hours and your HV battery losing a mile per hour when parked?

Also, how was your issue reported and diagnosed?

As in a constant whirring sound after I parked for hours and hours and continuing as I drove in the morning and could hear while driving. It was noticeably different than normal behavior. I called in to Tesla and they did some things on their end to try to pull data from the car and they said they identified the issue and to take the car in. They contacted the local service center and got me setup and sent them the info.

It was not in relation to charging.

As in a constant whirring sound after I parked for hours and hours and continuing as I drove in the morning and could hear while driving. It was noticeably different than normal behavior. I called in to Tesla and they did some things on their end to try to pull data from the car and they said they identified the issue and to take the car in. They contacted the local service center and got me setup and sent them the info.

It was not in relation to charging.

Thanks for your reply. Please update this thread once you know more from the Service Center visit.

I occasionally open my garage door to find my charging Tesla still on, with dash lights on and sometimes the same fan noise.
If I get my key fob and lock the car, it shuts down and is fine (fan and dash lights off).
I know this sounds simple but did you try it?

I occasionally open my garage door to find my charging Tesla still on, with dash lights on and sometimes the same fan noise.
If I get my key fob and lock the car, it shuts down and is fine (fan and dash lights off).
I know this sounds simple but did you try it?

We are not talking about the "fan" noise. The issue here is the cooling "pump" noise. Two different components with different sounds. The fan noise is louder and pronounced. The cooling pump noise is muffled and that's why I called it "humming".

And, yes, the car is always locked in the garage, and was not being charged. It was losing charge.

Update:

After the pump running for long period of time and losing miles while plugged in during the last two weeks, which happened in two separate days after charging, I've not noticed any new occurrence. The only negative side effect is my Rated Miles are now being calculated down by about 10 miles (my battery has shrunk ;) ). My conclusion is that Tesla, post 2019.16.x updates, executed two separate maintenance routines to calibrate the HV battery on some cars (maybe the announced fire prevention update?). The routines had to run off of the HV battery and that's why the car never used the shore power and kept pulling power from the HVB resulting in a severe vampire drain while pumps were running for hours long.

Update:

After the pump running for long period of time and losing miles while plugged in during the last two weeks, which happened in two separate days after charging, I've not noticed any new occurrence. The only negative side effect is my Rated Miles are now being calculated down by about 10 miles (my battery has shrunk ;) ). My conclusion is that Tesla, post 2019.16.x updates, executed two separate maintenance routines to calibrate the HV battery on some cars (maybe the announced fire prevention update?). The routines had to run off of the HV battery and that's why the car never used the shore power and kept pulling power from the HVB resulting in a severe vampire drain while pumps were running for hours long.

Hi, I joined TMC Just to respond to this thread. My car started doing the same thing as described and around the same time frame as well. I have a 2013 model S P85. I have 2019.16.2. Also had two updates since. The ham is beyond what I’m used to hearing and I am on a pretty good first name basis with my car as I spend a lot of time in the garage. It Only happens in the morning after a charge. When I come home from work it’s quiet

Hi, I joined TMC Just to respond to this thread. My car started doing the same thing as described and around the same time frame as well. I have a 2013 model S P85. I have 2019.16.2. Also had two updates since. The ham is beyond what I’m used to hearing and I am on a pretty good first name basis with my car as I spend a lot of time in the garage. It Only happens in the morning after a charge. When I come home from work it’s quiet

Did you notice for how long and how many miles it took off your main battery? Was it the first time you think?

Thanks for your reply. Please update this thread once you know more from the Service Center visit.

I'm not the OP, but in my case:

upload_2019-5-30_20-9-42.png

Thanks for your update. Mine did not reoccur after two occasions. The first time the pump ran about 10 hours and the second time about 5 hours. Both times were after charging. It's been quite since May 24. But I'm keeps my eyes on it.

I talked to a Tesla technician.. he reported no remote diagnostic issues. Also he wasn’t aware of any faults in the new software in terms of thermal management. I saw the video of the blue Tesla (I think bobasaurus..). Mine sounded exactly like that. Exactly.

This is happening to my car now. Exact same noise. 2014 S85 VIN 329XX
I'll wait a few days to see if it stops as expected.
I'll update once resolved.

Also, as I described earlier, expect it to run more than once with the first occurrence longer the the second. Mine ran for about 10 hours the first time and about 5 hours the next day. No more since then. I would be interested to see your Rated Miles drop, if any. I got 7.5% decrease on my RM. That's significant.

Also, as I described earlier, expect it to run more than once with the first occurrence longer the the second. Mine ran for about 10 hours the first time and about 5 hours the next day. No more since then. I would be interested to see your Rated Miles drop, if any. I got 7.5% decrease on my RM. That's significant.

Did your real world milage decrease as well? I only get about 70% of whatever the rated miles (ie. 229 miles on the indicator nets about 160 miles of real world range). P85 with 21" wheels here.

Did your real world milage decrease as well? I only get about 70% of whatever the rated miles (ie. 229 miles on the indicator nets about 160 miles of real world range). P85 with 21" wheels here.

I've not noticed the real world mileage change since I do not drive that much. But, with the short drives of less than 50 miles, the actual miles used looks the same as the RM usage, i.e., if I drive 30 miles I lose about 30 miles off of my RM. This has always been the case as my lifetime average Wh/mi is about 287 (The car has 43K on it).

What's your Wh/mi and the car's mileage?