Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 85D with 24,000 miles. Heard the sound for the first time after an update about 2 weeks ago. Only appears to happen this far when charging beyond 80%. It continued while driving until it went below 80%. Didn’t hear it again until this morning when checking on the charge in the garage. Was noticeable then. Very faint but a humming noise. If anyone finds out the what the cause is please let me know. By the way how does one report a bug issue. Didn’t know that we could. So safety the nontechno guy. Thanks all.

Checking in with exact same occurrence. 2012 Model S. Charging at 32 amps concluded at 4a to 90 percent and battery cooling noise ongoing for past 4 hours. Seems like the same noise as after a long drive with ambient heat. Will let folks know any updates

following up
-have had the humming noise intermittently over past month - seems to only happen when charged to 90%, but not always
-my 90% range has fallen from 225 to 221 in past week (1 mile per day)

I should add that I recently received a replacement 85 (type D) battery.. this battery has 15k on it from me (was refurbished)

Last edited:
My car is always humming............... exactly the same way a lot of folks have described on here. My car is connected to my 14-50 plug, it loses about about 10-15 km range per day and clearly its not drawing the power from the wall plug, but simply draining the battery slowly.

My car was suddenly doing it for days literally non stop after an update in early July. My phantom drain rates more than doubled as well during that time.

I received a couple of subsequent OTA updates a couple weeks later - most recent one was last night and it has stopped. The drain have rates also returned to normal.

I have a 2014 P85 which has been making this noise for weeks. I unplugged it at 99%, and after 24 hours it was down to 88%. It is booked in with the SC next week, so will repost with their findings. I do wonder if this is a battery protection measure, where I can charge to 100%, but if I don't use it there and then, then it runs some loads until the charge drops to a long term safe level.

My car has started to make this noise as well. Has anyone taken their car to the SC and had any sort of repair? I haven't noticed anything with battery drain, etc but my warranty is running out, so if something needs fixed I want it to get done!

What year and model?

Software version?

When do you notice the noise? driving, parked, charging?

More information would be useful.

I have a 2014 P85 which has been making this noise for weeks. I unplugged it at 99%, and after 24 hours it was down to 88%. It is booked in with the SC next week, so will repost with their findings. I do wonder if this is a battery protection measure, where I can charge to 100%, but if I don't use it there and then, then it runs some loads until the charge drops to a long term safe level.

Software version?

When do you notice the noise? driving, parked, charging?

After I started this thread and after the next supercharging, I noticed my battery usable capacity being capped. I've lost 30 miles (12% capacity loss). Watch out for any Rated Miles loss (capacity cap) imposed by Tesla on the older Model S cars. There is a very long thread since May on the issue here. A class action lawsuit has also started.

Well that is a good thing. You do understand charging the battery to 100% and letting it sit is probably the worst thing you can do to it? You do state it is probably a battery protection measure, to bring the battery to a safe level, so why are you purposely placing the battery in an unsafe state?

Because it is only 73kwh usable, and I need the range to go to work. That's why I charge to 100% It's not much use when I am 20 miles short of getting home because of the vampire drain. It also now takes 2 hours at a supercharger to get to 95%, which is the absolute minimum I need to get from the charger to where my boat is being built and back again. It was never this slow before. I could understand it in winter, or when it is shared with another car, but this is summer with a warm battery and only me at a 4 charger site.

Because it is only 73kwh usable, and I need the range to go to work. That's why I charge to 100% It's not much use when I am 20 miles short of getting home because of the vampire drain. It also now takes 2 hours at a supercharger to get to 95%, which is the absolute minimum I need to get from the charger to where my boat is being built and back again. It was never this slow before. I could understand it in winter, or when it is shared with another car, but this is summer with a warm battery and only me at a 4 charger site.

If the range is that critical for you the first thing I would do is change those 21's to 19's. That is good for upwards of 10% more range.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Reactions: nexsuperne101
Your talking about the original model S wheels, yes I agree. But there are slipstreams and what I have, cyclones as well. (not my car, picture from internet)
images-1.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 4.05.37 AM.png
images-1.jpeg

Vossens will be light, but they won't be the most aerodynamic.

Last edited:
In Physics there is a concept for rotating objects called moment of inertia and it's very dependent on geometry of the rotating object. But basically larger diameter wheels will always be less efficient than smaller diameter. If you can't stand the look of any of the stock Tesla wheels I recommend looking at aftermarket 19 inch if range is an issue. Lighter wheels may help range a bit, but 21 inch will always be less efficient than 19. There is no way around the Physics.

Today I charged our 2015 Tesla S 85 to 80% of the battery capacity and there was NO humming sound or loss of charge. At 80% I got 212 miles vs. 249 miles when I charged it to 90%.

Another variable could be the ambient temperature. Today it was much cooler in the garage 60 degrees compared to 80 degrees when I charged my car to 90% and it hummed for a long time. As we don't put too many miles in a day 212 miles is more than adequate for a week.

Today I charged our 2015 Tesla S 85 to 80% of the battery capacity and there was NO humming sound or loss of charge. At 80% I got 212 miles vs. 249 miles when I charged it to 90%.

Another variable could be the ambient temperature. Today it was much cooler in the garage 60 degrees compared to 80 degrees when I charged my car to 90% and it hummed for a long time. As we don't put too many miles in a day 212 miles is more than adequate for a week.

The humming noise you are hearing is heard during charging due to the cooling fan. That's normal and not related to the topic of this thread and under the condition when the reported issue it occurred. So, you are OK.

BTW, 249 miles at 90%? It means about 276 at 100%. What was your range when the car was brand new?

The humming noise you are hearing is heard during charging due to the cooling fan. That's normal and not related to the topic of this thread and under the condition when the reported issue it occurred. So, you are OK.

BTW, 249 miles at 90%? It means about 276 at 100%. What was your range when the car was brand new?

At 100% we get 267 miles, the same as before. We normally charge it to 100% when we make long distance (500 mile) trip to Verona, WI from Overland Park, KS. We now have about 17,000 miles on our 2015 Tesla S 85 car.

The last time I heard the humming noise after I had disconnected the charger for about 12 hours. This never happened before. It is my understanding that this happened after Tesla sent a patch to proactively cool the battery due to a fire in Hong Kong?

I had the hum noise for a few days straight. My wife noticed it first and I dismissed it as some noise outside the garage. But sure enough it was the car, somewhere in the front of the car. It isn't humming any more. It was certainly not a fan moving as it was very faint and sounded like when you squeeze the trigger on your electric drill just before it actually starts moving.

At 100% we get 267 miles, the same as before. We normally charge it to 100% when we make long distance (500 mile) trip to Verona, WI from Overland Park, KS. We now have about 17,000 miles on our 2015 Tesla S 85 car.

The last time I heard the humming noise after I had disconnected the charger for about 12 hours. This never happened before. It is my understanding that this happened after Tesla sent a patch to proactively cool the battery due to a fire in Hong Kong?

Yes, they have changed the battery thermal management.

I had the hum noise for a few days straight. My wife noticed it first and I dismissed it as some noise outside the garage. But sure enough it was the car, somewhere in the front of the car. It isn't humming any more. It was certainly not a fan moving as it was very faint and sounded like when you squeeze the trigger on your electric drill just before it actually starts moving.

That does not seem to be related to the topic of this thread, rather the normal car maintenance activities and communication with the mother ship.