Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is always humming............... exactly the same way a lot of folks have described on here. My car is connected to my 14-50 plug, it loses about about 10-15 km range per day and clearly its not drawing the power from the wall plug, but simply draining the battery slowly.
It's only HVAC (includes items like cabin overheat protection) and charging that pull power from the wall. Other functions, such as LTE, waking up, checking the 12V battery, etc. just get power from the battery.

@Nick70d at least in the case of @Droschke the fans running were Tesla's using up power so the BMS could recalibrate to the newly downgraded battery capacity and not show his car charged to "110%" at the old power level. It had to waste power to reduce him under 100%.

Agree. Tesla was running "tests" on my pack and the capping of my battery was noticed right after.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
@Nick70d at least in the case of @Droschke the fans running were Tesla's using up power so the BMS could recalibrate to the newly downgraded battery capacity and not show his car charged to "110%" at the old power level. It had to waste power to reduce him under 100%.

Agree. Tesla was running "tests" on my pack and the capping of my battery was noticed right after.
So Tesla running the test before they release new software update , my guess . Because always something running background that we dont know.

The testing process if there was one determined that the car would be downgraded. The noises and unnecessary power use was just burning kWh capacity to hide the downgrade. Droschke observed these things long before there was any information of widespread TEsla downgrades going on, bit his early observations show what we now know was Tesla's attempts to hide what they were doing from us. I don't think they realized we would be able to measure their downgrades in volts or just how many miles / horsepower they were taking - which explains why they returned some of it and are only capping impacted Model 3s a little bit right now.

Reactions: Droschke
So Tesla running the test before they release new software update , my guess . Because always something running background that we dont know.

Who knows if they always do before all software updates. But, in my case, and regarding the capping fiasco, yes they did run a two-day test on my car as I had reported in this thread. Two Tesla support reps also hinted at looking at live logs being gathered from my car at that time indicating, as they called it, "aged" battery and "low" voltage at cell level. Of course, I couldn't make much out of it at that time because I did not know what was coming next (the capping).

Who knows if they always do before all software updates. But, in my case, and regarding the capping fiasco, yes they did run a two-day test on my car as I had reported in this thread. Two Tesla support reps also hinted at looking at live logs being gathered from my car at that time indicating, as they called it, "aged" battery and "low" voltage at cell level. Of course, I couldn't make much out of it at that time because I did not know what was coming next (the capping).
So sad, just hope for the best, I have appointment upcoming on the 12th of November will see when they say.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
This happened to my car last week. The car is 2 months old MS performance. It was annoying especially when the music was ON, reminded me of a tape player with slipping squeaky pinch roller, only the oldies can relate :). I had scheduled an appointment for this week but after a couple of days it was gone. Cancelled my appointment. I just wish they let the owners know instead of treating us like dumb guinea pigs..

This happened to my car last week. The car is 2 months old MS performance. It was annoying especially when the music was ON, reminded me of a tape player with slipping squeaky pinch roller, only the oldies can relate :). I had scheduled an appointment for this week but after a couple of days it was gone. Cancelled my appointment. I just wish they let the owners know instead of treating us like dumb guinea pigs..
One more thing, after the noise stopped the battery charged to 285 miles, normally it charges to 274 miles. Now it is back to charging 274, so for sure it was some experiment related to the battery.

hahahaha......I am laughing because I have to same issue with my wife's M3......turns out to be in our case, the Sentry Mode is set to "on"! turn it to "stand-by" and this noise goes away and you won't hear the noise after about 5 -10 min after parking......this will allow the car to go to sleep and not lose miles.....

this all started for me when I upgraded to Ver10.......I went to Spain and was there for 3+ weeks....forgot to plug in and left with 145 miles......monitored the app and the drain.... when I got home I had 128 miles......

so try that and see if it solves the issue

I noticed the fan running after charging to 90% a couple updates ago on my 2013 MS. But my concern is the amount of drain I have when sitting (even after driving to work). Between home and work I will loose a good 12-15 miles a day when sitting. No it is not the cabin protection and no sentry obviously. I will have to track it tomorrow and get back with exact numbers.

I noticed the fan running after charging to 90% a couple updates ago on my 2013 MS. But my concern is the amount of drain I have when sitting (even after driving to work). Between home and work I will loose a good 12-15 miles a day when sitting. No it is not the cabin protection and no sentry obviously. I will have to track it tomorrow and get back with exact numbers.

I had the same issue some time ago. I then charged the car to less than 80% and the humming stopped.

I noticed the humming, exactly as posted in the video in this thread, for the first time tonight so I joined to post. I charged to 100% for a roadtrip tomorrow for Thanksgiving and it's been draining since I unplugged it. This is frustrating since I have the long drive tomorrow.

2015 Model S 70D

Range when unplugged: 233
3 hours later: 228

• Informative
Reactions: Nick70d
I noticed the humming, exactly as posted in the video in this thread, for the first time tonight so I joined to post. I charged to 100% for a roadtrip tomorrow for Thanksgiving and it's been draining since I unplugged it. This is frustrating since I have the long drive tomorrow.

2015 Model S 70D

Range when unplugged: 233
3 hours later: 228
Same here bro, we have exactly same model same problem

• Informative
Reactions: bmah