Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should clarify that my 2015 AP1 is still on 2020.8.1. Last night, plugged in at 74% (charging to 80%), and no pump/hum, so for my SW version the window is somewhere between 75-80 to turn on...and maybe a moot point should I ever get the update to 2020.12.1.

I found that I have this pump/humming at least on these situations:

When I open any door.
When I connect through the Tesla App.
When the Sentry activates.

Each time one of this occurs, the pump/humming starts and stays on at least 10 minutes.

My garage has windows. So light changes actives the Sentry. Even in the garage, I have more than 100 alerts a day.

This way, each time the Sentry activates, the pump/humming runs 10 minutes.

So, in my case, I think this can be reason to drain the battery.
Since I disabled the Sentry, no more pump/humming and no more battery drain.

What are your findings?

Regards.

I am wondering if any of the recent firmware updates has mitigated the humming problem?

I have now charged our 2015 Tesla Model S 85 to 80% three different times. I set it to charge at midnight to get the cheapest electric rates and I am charging at 40 AMPs. After I disconnect the charger the car hums for about 10-15 minutes and then it stops humming. I have also observed very little battery drain after charging.

This is a marked improvement in battery drainage and humming, at least for our car.

I am wondering if any of the recent firmware updates has mitigated the humming problem?

I have now charged our 2015 Tesla Model S 85 to 80% three different times. I set it to charge at midnight to get the cheapest electric rates and I am charging at 40 AMPs. After I disconnect the charger the car hums for about 10-15 minutes and then it stops humming. I have also observed very little battery drain after charging.

This is a marked improvement in battery drainage and humming, at least for our car.

Not mitigated. I believe this is a permanent behavior for our cars. The 80% or more is the known trigger for the pumps to start humming. Try to charge below 80% to see if it makes any difference. I no longer charge beyond 70%.

• Informative
Reactions: Mucall and Chaserr
Has anyone had anything fixed under warranty repair with this? I have an appointment for a different issue next week, and mentioned this.I have sent 3 different videos and times for them to review and they have not responded since Wednesday.

They are stating that there is a "noise charge" if this isn't an issue that needs fixed, so I obviously don't want to pay for nothing. Mine also occurs at ~90% state of charge - where I charge to at work a few times per week.

• Informative
Reactions: Mucall
Has anyone had anything fixed under warranty repair with this? I have an appointment for a different issue next week, and mentioned this.I have sent 3 different videos and times for them to review and they have not responded since Wednesday.

They are stating that there is a "noise charge" if this isn't an issue that needs fixed, so I obviously don't want to pay for nothing. Mine also occurs at ~90% state of charge - where I charge to at work a few times per week.

Their 'fix" is the noise you hear. It's to put a band-aid over a larger problem (namely Batterygate/Chargegate issues). So, unfortunately you need to live with it. The noise is the result of an imposed risk mitigation deployed by the Tesla OTA updates. The risk, in this case, being your Model S pack is probably Li-Plated to some degree or is going to be in near future (a bad situation for the pack). The OTA updates have been limiting your capacity, charge rate and the max charge level to manage/control the nasty Li-Plated cells. Running the coolant pumps (the noise) tries to cool down the pack (and also the DU) and drain your what Tesla considers, in this case, an overcharged/supercharged battery so the Li-Plated cells won't overheat. Charging over 79% would result in the noise you hear (the cooling pumps running) to keep the overheated cells cool, which inherently means loss of, if we can call it, excess energy (charge). The ultimate solution is the battery replacement under warranty which Tesla refuses to do.

More here:
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Their 'fix" is the noise you hear. It's to put a band-aid over a larger problem (namely Batterygate/Chargegate issues). So, unfortunately you need to live with it. The noise is the result of an imposed risk mitigation deployed by the Tesla OTA updates. The risk, in this case, being your Model S pack is probably Li-Plated to some degree or is going to be in near future (a bad situation for the pack). The OTA updates have been limiting your capacity, charge rate and the max charge level to manage/control the nasty Li-Plated cells. Running the coolant pumps (the noise) tries to cool down the pack (and also the DU) and drain your what Tesla considers, in this case, an overcharged/supercharged battery so the Li-Plated cells won't overheat. Charging over 79% would result in the noise you hear (the cooling pumps running) to keep the overheated cells cool, which inherently means loss of, if we can call it, excess energy (charge). The ultimate solution is the battery replacement under warranty which Tesla refuses to do.

More here:
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
Yikes. How do you feel owning an 85 out of warranty?

Just saw this thread and I am observing the exact same behavior everyone has described. The symptom is perhaps more pronounced than some since it starts to hum non-stop at anything above 70% charge. I started noticing this shortly after upgrading to 2020.20.1. My car would lose 5+ miles of range overnight after being fully charged and still plugged in. I started searching for possible causes and discovered that the car didn't appear to ever stop 'running'. This could be a 'new normal' but I went ahead and scheduled a service appointment, just in case. I'm interested in hearing if anyone else may have any updates while I wait for the appointment. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just saw this thread and I am observing the exact same behavior everyone has described. The symptom is perhaps more pronounced than some since it starts to hum non-stop at anything above 70% charge. I started noticing this shortly after upgrading to 2020.20.1. My car would lose 5+ miles of range overnight after being fully charged and still plugged in. I started searching for possible causes and discovered that the car didn't appear to ever stop 'running'. This could be a 'new normal' but I went ahead and scheduled a service appointment, just in case. I'm interested in hearing if anyone else may have any updates while I wait for the appointment. Thanks!
They are going to tell you your battery is in great shape, in fact one of the best they have ever seen for its age. They will tell you to drive slower, try not to accelerate, your mileage may vary, lose some weight, and so on. They have a prepared response for batterygated cars so your answer won't really be for you it's tailered more for people who are range capped and supercharge speed limited, but the noise is caused by the same problem so they will probably give you the standard official excuses.

If they try to charge you for diagnostics, demand your diagnostic data printed out so you can post it online. They are legally obligated to give you anything you pay them for, so this either gets you a paper trial for your money or they suddenly change their minds and waive the charge. So far, nobody has had to pay after they asked for their diagnostic data.

They are going to tell you your battery is in great shape, in fact one of the best they have ever seen for its age. They will tell you to drive slower, try not to accelerate, your mileage may vary, lose some weight, and so on. They have a prepared response for batterygated cars so your answer won't really be for you it's tailered more for people who are range capped and supercharge speed limited, but the noise is caused by the same problem so they will probably give you the standard official excuses.

If they try to charge you for diagnostics, demand your diagnostic data printed out so you can post it online. They are legally obligated to give you anything you pay them for, so this either gets you a paper trial for your money or they suddenly change their minds and waive the charge. So far, nobody has had to pay after they asked for their diagnostic data.
That is good info. Thanks

Reactions: Chaserr
I’m new to TMC because of this thread. I have a 14 S85, and the same issue started for me to day.

Timeline:
- yesterday I used supercharger from 20-60%
- yesterday parked the car and started my home 22kw charger. (My vehicle is set on max 80%)
- this morning the pump sound is running. (I will try to attach the video.

it’s been running straight for 3 hours now, maybe longer. I have no idea when it started. My GOM says 310km on 80%. Let’s see what happens.

anyone have any idea about what’s up with this?

I’m new to TMC because of this thread. I have a 14 S85, and the same issue started for me to day.

Timeline:
- yesterday parked the car and started my home 22kw charger. (My vehicle is set on max 80%)

it’s been running straight for 3 hours now, maybe longer. I have no idea when it started. My GOM says 310km on 80%. Let’s see what happens.

Yes, I am sure it is all in this thread, but I haven't read these posts in a while, and Tesla is always changing how the car behaves with progressive updates.

The coolant pump will run for a while if you store the car at anything greater than about 77%, (latest SOC level a few of us have observed) to provide thermal equilibrium in the pack to prevent one cell or group of cells from being stored at potentially dangerous temperatures while at a relatively high state of charge. After the spontaneous fires from at least one parked car (the one from the underground in China) this has been employed by Tesla.

I am sure the ambient temperature someone has parked the car in has something to do with this number; what was the temperature where you parked the car?

It should have stopped after several hours, and it is fine, but if you don't need the 10% charge level on a daily basis or don't want to hear the pump just have the car at SOC of 70% and you probably won't hear it after charging. If the car is charging of course you will hear the pump circulate coolant.

One thing is certain, the more parts are used the quicker they will wear out; every moving part has a life.

The oldest 100 kWh packs are approaching four years old, which is the age when some of the newest 85 packs started displaying this behavior with the now-infamous 2019.16.x software.

It would be interesting to see if any very early P100D packs are exhibiting this pump-running behavior now, as they have possibly had sufficient time to (possibly) develop the triggering condition(s).

Or, maybe, the pump-running is specifically coded for only the 85 packs? Anyone with root and the coding skills to confirm or deny this speculation?

Timeline:

As @dark cloud and @BigNick have mentioned, this is the new 'norm" with your car and you will need to live with it. It happens when you charge to a higher SOC (the exact maximum varies per car, but high 70% is a good threshold!). In short, your pumps will be running very often and that's intentional (unless there is an issue with your louvers underneath the front grill of your car that causes them to be always in closed position).